WINE, WAIT, AND WHINE THREAD

Dr. Brains

3 minutes ago, anthrostudentcyn said:

@morifol @Pink Fuzzy Bunny thanks all! Honestly the less people at the talk the better hehe. Also, pretty sure the guy who invited me insinuated on the talk invitation that I'm a professor, when alas, I am a 21 year old undergrad. Some people might be surprised, to say the least ;)

Well, hey: if they invited you to a talk and think (on the basis of a proposal or your other work?) that you're a prof: you're doing something right! Congrats!

I once gave a conference talk also as a 21 year old undergrad. I was on a panel with one other undergrad and one grad student. Afterwards, at the reception, one of the visiting scholars thought was the grad student on the panel, and was super confused when I said I was about to start applying to places, haha. It was a nice moment of "Hey, maybe I do have this thing down, if my work seems to be at grad-level to a prof I don't even know." (Though impostor-ish feelings inevitably crept back in).

1 hour ago, Neist said:

I just got my first acceptance as well, but it's probably at the most expensive school I applied to. Ugh.

I'll see how things pan out with funding.

Congrats Neist! Where did you get accepted? If it is Cornell (which Ithaca is definitely expensive!), I took an STS class when I was a student and the faculty/students are top notch!

16 minutes ago, nevermind said:

Congrats Neist! Where did you get accepted? If it is Cornell (which Ithaca is definitely expensive!), I took an STS class when I was a student and the faculty/students are top notch!

Thanks!

I wish I'd heard back from Cornell, but not yet. Their deadline wasn't until the 10th of January, so I'm not really surprised. All of my applications were due within the last two weeks, actually, so I'm a little bit surprised I've heard anything at all.

I got into Drexel's STS program. One of my letter writers is the editor for Technology & Culture, and she sang high praise of the program. I even got a Dean's Fellowship, but the fellowship only pays for a small portion of the tuition, and I don't believe they give out many tuition waivers. Apparently there are some RA positions (the graduate student handbook speaks nothing of teaching assistantships), but I have to imagine the possibility of RAs isn't likely until year two, which means I'd probably have to self-fund for the first year. And the school is in Philadelphia. I can't imagine it's cheap living.

I need to contact the STS department directly (I'm re-reading through the graduate handbook first), but I remain hopeful!

Edited by Neist

My heart nearly jumped out of my chest just now ...

Email subject line pops up on my screen, reads:

"Paid Research Assistantship"

palpitations-palpitations-palpitations

Prof's name looks familiar.

Curses!!! It's an email from my one of my current professors notifying students of an RA opportunity through the school.

AKA totally NOT an acceptance notification from one of the programs I've applied to.

Isn't that funny how that email tricked me? It's just so ... appropriate hahahhahaa *starts crying*

I can't handle this, guys!

@gingin6789 I swear, every program in the world is right now in a conspiracy against us applicants. It seems like the subject of every email contains the word "admissions" or something of the sort. Gah!! :angry:

And as a side note, I've gotten two offers. One came in at 11PM and one came in at 12:40AM (in their respective time zones). What is it with these people?!

Edited by Pink Fuzzy Bunny

@Pink Fuzzy Bunny Yes!! Yesterday, my university sent out TWO emails about another fellowship, one on 18th century studies ... each time I saw "FELLOWSHIP" I nearly fell over, only to find it's something that I wouldn't be able to qualify for anyhow ... ah oh well ... today is still another day, one day closer to knowing, right?

2 minutes ago, Pink Fuzzy Bunny said:

@gingin6789 I swear, every program in the world is right now in a conspiracy against us applicants. It seems like the subject of every email contains the word "admissions" or something of the sort. Gah!! :angry:

Speaking of weird things popping up in emails..

I recently got an email, randomly, from a MUD proponent in Venezuela. Thought that was sort of quirky. And interesting.

It was basically just a email-formed handbill for their cause, but still interesting.

1 hour ago, Neist said:

Thanks!

I wish I'd heard back from Cornell, but not yet. Their deadline wasn't until the 10th of January, so I'm not really surprised. All of my applications were due within the last two weeks, actually, so I'm a little bit surprised I've heard anything at all.

I got into Drexel's STS program. One of my letter writers is the editor for Technology & Culture, and she sang high praise of the program. I even got a Dean's Fellowship, but the fellowship only pays for a small portion of the tuition, and I don't believe they give out many tuition waivers. Apparently there are some RA positions (the graduate student handbook speaks nothing of teaching assistantships), but I have to imagine the possibility of RAs isn't likely until year two, which means I'd probably have to self-fund for the first year. And the school is in Philadelphia. I can't imagine it's cheap living.

I need to contact the STS department directly (I'm re-reading through the graduate handbook first), but I remain hopeful!

I'm not sure where the other places you're applying are, but compared to other major east coast cities (Boston, NY, DC), Philly is the cheapest. Particularly if you're willing to have roommates. It's also an amazing city! Drexel is nothing great to look at, but it's a great location if you like urban living and minutes from everything.  I know nothing helpful about your specific program, though, sorry!

3 minutes ago, mm3733 said:

I'm not sure where the other places you're applying are, but compared to other major east coast cities (Boston, NY, DC), Philly is the cheapest. Particularly if you're willing to have roommates. It's also an amazing city! Drexel is nothing great to look at, but it's a great location if you like urban living and minutes from everything.  I know nothing helpful about your specific program, though, sorry!

Really? Good to know! I'm married with a kid, so cheap is definitely a bonus. Loans are a given at this point, regardless of any stipend I'd be offered anywhere, but it's nice to minimize those loans.

Thanks for your input. Really appreciate it. :)

20 minutes ago, Neist said:

Really? Good to know! I'm married with a kid, so cheap is definitely a bonus. Loans are a given at this point, regardless of any stipend I'd be offered anywhere, but it's nice to minimize those loans.

Thanks for your input. Really appreciate it. :)

Shoot me a message if you want more info after you've received offers and are weighing or have decided. I lived there for 2 years and have many friends still there so I have a bit of insight.

There's a rejection on the results board for one of my programs....which means I've been extra anxious all day. But, still nothing. On the one hand, it's good, because if they're sending out rejections, I still have a chance for an acceptance. But, I wish they'd send everything at once...... Maybe needless to say: it was a beer as soon as I got home sort of day.

Edited by haltheincandescent

Hello :) I'm new here and I am so glad to find a forum that understands all my feelings. I submitted my application last dec. 28 for a jan. 1 deadline. I wish I had found this forum sooner. I'm an international student so it was only after I discovered this forum and read a lot of threads did it dawn on me the reality of how unbelievably competitive it is to get into grad school and now I feel I should've put in even more effort on my portfolio. I'm applying for an MFA and according to the admissions page of my program they will start sending out results around March 15. It's still 2 months away and I can't breathe. I hope I did enough to get into the program. Anybody here also applying for an MFA?

Edited by raaawr

In an effort to overcome anxiety, I have come to vent. Some of my earlier apps (Dec. 1st) have sent their invites already, and I'm assuming that since I've heard nothing from them, that I'm likely on the short end of the stick with them. Not terribly surprising, considering that some of them are fairly competitive. I'm just frustrated because at least some of them have had the courtesy of sending out rejections in a timely manner. I don't want to hold out on hope from those ones I've not heard from, as it just causes further anxiety.

On the plus side, I've already been on the one interview I have obtained, and I won't be hearing the final response on that until March most likely. I need a big bottle of of Pinot noir in my life... but alas, I have to go in to work tomorrow.

tumblr_nkw1q7Fw8l1tpwj6oo3_250.gif

Edited by katpillow

40 minutes ago, katpillow said:

In an effort to overcome anxiety, I have come to vent. Some of my earlier apps (Dec. 1st) have sent their invites already, and I'm assuming that since I've heard nothing from them, that I'm likely on the short end of the stick with them. Not terribly surprising, considering that some of them are fairly competitive. I'm just frustrated because at least some of them have had the courtesy of sending out rejections in a timely manner. I don't want to hold out on hope from those ones I've not heard from, as it just causes further anxiety.

On the plus side, I've already been on the one interview I have obtained, and I won't be hearing the final response on that until March most likely. I need a big bottle of of Pinot noir in my life... but alas, I have to go in to work tomorrow.

Currently my official response record is 1 for 3. The assumed record is 1 for 6. Total responses so far: 3 out of 22.

I wouldn't lose hope yet. This is pure conjecture, but I'd imagine that immediate invites are shoe-ins. I'd guess that as a program approaches their limit, they tend to be a bit more deliberate in their selections. At least it would make sense if they did so. Logic follows that no news isn't necessarily bad news. Might be, but it might not be. :)

Also, 22 schools? Wow. Just wow. Six schools was more than enough work for me. Twenty two would have been a full-time job.

1 minute ago, Neist said:

I wouldn't lose hope yet. This is pure conjecture, but I'd imagine that immediate invites are shoe-ins. I'd guess that as a program approaches their limit, they tend to be a bit more deliberate in their selections. At least it would make sense if they did so. Logic follows that no news isn't necessarily bad news. Might be, but it might not be. :)

Also, 22 schools? Wow. Just wow. Six schools was more than enough work for me. Twenty two would have been a full-time job.

Thanks for the encouragement, it certainly helps. The application process was definitely a second job on top of what I'm already doing- I feel the need to make things count, though- I'm 27 and really don't want to delay this any further. It really helps that I don't have to deal with school right now, though. Just industry research life :D.

Luckily working on apps provides an ample excuse to avoid relatives on holiday weekends...

@Pink Fuzzy Bunny, I certainly hope so. Part of the reason for 22 was a need to play a numbers game, though. My UG GPA is legendarily low (2.4, affected by domestic factors + engineering curric) so I figure many of my schools will throw me to the dogs without much hesitation, nevermind my ~4 years of research experience, recs, GRE, publications, etc. I wish I could say we live in a world where GPA isn't everything at some institutions, but they've got to find some way to help sift through the hundreds of applicants. I don't blame them. (Doing my best to uphold the 'whine' portion of the thread)

I do love your enthusiasm, though. So I'll be borrowing a bit.