WINE, WAIT, AND WHINE THREAD

Dr. Brains

Sooo I'm most likely not getting into University of North Carolina. I thought my PI meeting was the 15th, nope it was today. I didn't realize my mistake until she emailed me at 1:20 and our meeting was at 1:00. I have had a headache all day and it was two hours away. Oh well, life moves on. I sent her an email in response apologizing for not showing up so at least I don't feel like a complete jerk.

3 minutes ago, Need Coffee in an IV said:

Sooo I'm most likely not getting into University of North Carolina. I thought my PI meeting was the 15th, nope it was today. I didn't realize my mistake until she emailed me at 1:20 and our meeting was at 1:00. I have had a headache all day and it was two hours away. Oh well, life moves on. I sent her an email in response apologizing for not showing up so at least I don't feel like a complete jerk.

Oh no!! Did she email you back? Maybe she'll reschedule! You are human, remember, so don't beat yourself up too badly. I'm sure it's not the worst thing they've seen! 

Just now, gingin6789 said:

Oh no!! Did she email you back? Maybe she'll reschedule! You are human, remember, so don't beat yourself up too badly. I'm sure it's not the worst thing they've seen! 

No she didn't but I wouldn't blame her. I'm not a perfect fit so I'm just bracing myself for that reject email ha. Thanks, thats what my boyfriend said. If she doesn't reschedule I won't be heartbroken or anything. It was a pretty campus though!

@Pink Fuzzy Bunny Thanks, for that! Yeah I'm just dusting my ego off a bit since my professionalism is something I feel very strong about. True about laughing about in the future! If I've never failed at something/did something embarrassing I wouldn't have any interesting stories to tell.

17 hours ago, Dishsoap said:

On a side note, do admissions officers actually check Facebook and such to scope out prospective students? I have nothing to hide, it just seems like it would be annoying to hunt down that many applicants...

If they attempt that on me, they are going to find a ghost.

I long-since wearied of social networking before Facebook. 

49 minutes ago, Neist said:

Admissions will most likely be confused if they tried looking me up on Facebook. I have one active profile and 4 other profiles I made when I was a teenager. For some odd reason I thought it was funny to have 5 mes online. Of course I've forgotten the email/password to those so I can't delete them. Btw if anyone had a myspace account you should look yours up. I did and it made me laugh to look back. I was bummed they took down my playlist, it took me hours to find the right combination of angst filled songs haha

Edited by Need Coffee in an IV
Internet Whoops

1 hour ago, Need Coffee in an IV said:

Admissions will most likely be confused if they tried looking me up on Facebook. I have one active profile and 4 other profiles I made when I was a teenager. For some odd reason I thought it was funny to have 5 Need Coffee in an IV's online. Of course I've forgotten the email/password to those so I can't delete them. Btw if anyone had a myspace account you should look yours up. I did and it made me laugh to look back. I was bummed they took down my playlist, it took me hours to find the right combination of angst filled songs haha

Somewhere around the time of the death of Myspace, when I was just entering that post-dorky-emo-angsty phase, but still took myself way too seriously, I made the mistake of totally deleting my profile. I wish it still existed now, because I could use a good laugh at myself.

Edited by haltheincandescent

1 minute ago, haltheincandescent said:

Somewhere around the time of the death of Myspace, when I was just entering that post-dorky-emo-angsty phase, but still took myself way too seriously, I made the mistake of totally deleting my profile. I wish it still existed now, because I could use a good laugh at myself.

If anything you could see if your former high school classmates still have theirs up! I looked at my friends list and saw so many man swoosh bangs and skinny jeans haha.

5 minutes ago, anthrostudentcyn said:

I haven't even been getting many hits on my Academia.edu profile, so I'm kind of worried!

I haven't either, nor any new linkedin views, but I have had (some) positive response to applications. So, I don't think views necessarily equal interest, or, rather: I don't think an absence of views is a thing to be worried about. 

Just now, haltheincandescent said:

I haven't either, nor any new linkedin views, but I have had (some) positive response to applications. So, I don't think views necessarily equal interest, or, rather: I don't think an absence of views is a thing to be worried about. 

Ah I haven't even had positive response to applications. I'm trying to figure out if I should contact a POI at my top choice or if it would be annoying at this point.

7 minutes ago, anthrostudentcyn said:

Ah I haven't even had positive response to applications. I'm trying to figure out if I should contact a POI at my top choice or if it would be annoying at this point.

Most of my applications were due around Jan. 5th...It's only the 11th, so I really doubt anybody has glanced at my file yet. I would suspect either this week through the end of January, I'll see more activity on my linkedin/academia.edu profiles...I wouldn't start contacting professors yet. 

28 minutes ago, Pink Fuzzy Bunny said:

I wish that I could just be tranquilized for the next three months.

I just want that for at least the next three days....but, alas: work responsibilities call. And now, after a bizarrely warm winter, it has finally hit single digit temps and has snowed: so dragging myself out of bed to deal with this combination of waiting-anxiety and work-stress is just that much more thrilling.

But we're close: remember: you can do anything for ten seconds, said someone in this tread almost a whole week ago. Time is grinding on, and we'll know soon enough.

Edited by haltheincandescent

1 minute ago, haltheincandescent said:

I just want at least the next three days....but, alas: work responsibilities call. And now, after a bizarrely warm winter, it has finally hit single digit temps and has snowed: so dragging myself out of bed to deal with this combination of waiting-anxiety and work-stress is just that much more thrilling.

But we're close: remember: you can do anything for ten seconds, said someone in this tread almost a whole week ago. Time is grinding on, and we'll know soon enough.

Yes, I'm in Illinois and feeling that same disdain of having to get out of bed to deal with work/waiting/school/snow. 

Honestly, I don't know what I'd do without this forum.

2 hours ago, Pink Fuzzy Bunny said:

I wish that I could just be tranquilized for the next three months.

tbh I'd accept the next couple of weeks ...

13 hours ago, 123hardasABC said:

I moved from beachside Orange County to NYC two years ago.... Up until that point, the coldest place I've ever been to was Berkeley. Read this guide: https://www.reddit.com/r/femalefashionadvice/comments/3sf5f8/the_beginners_guide_to_not_freezing_to_death/ (Applies to males, too)

Thanks for posting this!

7 hours ago, Neist said:

Yeah I lost patience for Facebook and similar sites shortly before they came out and am not on any of them.  

26 minutes ago, Pink Fuzzy Bunny said:

Is anyone else amused by the number of typos on the results page? A lot of people are going to a lot of different "univeristies" to "studu" different things.

Well if they're rejections my guess is the posters were typing through tears.

8 hours ago, Pink Fuzzy Bunny said:

Is anyone else amused by the number of typos on the results page? A lot of people are going to a lot of different "univeristies" to "studu" different things.

You should look up MIT then and laugh at the absurd number of "a"s people put in Massachusetts. 

11 minutes ago, 123hardasABC said:

You should look up MIT then and laugh at the absurd number of "a"s people put in Massachusetts. 

Should take some efforts to standardize this thing. Can not rely on what has been remembered.