WINE, WAIT, AND WHINE THREAD

Dr. Brains

Just now, Dr. Brains said:

yeah idk but whatever. i don't watch a lot of tv so it wouldn't be worth it for me to get cable or netflix so this is a nice option

I simply live in a place where there is no Netflix or Netflix with language I do not understand.

@DrZoidberg definitely with you there. The waiting has made me appreciate which schools I can really see myself at for 4 years and which ones I am now almost regretting applying to (well not really, I'd still go there if no one else accepted me). It's interesting how time changes our perceptions. 

Also, shiraz and scrubs is the plan for my Friday night :)

2 hours ago, nightfarmer said:

As someone who's in their third round of doing this (finished MA already, didn't get a funded PhD program last year, reapplied this year) let me assure you this is the most nerve wracking time of year. It's the time right before you can realistically expect any responses, but you know it's coming soon. My only advice for keeping your sanity in the weeks to come is not to say "I hope I hear something today" but instead "I hope to hear something this week."

very helpful--thanks!

i've gone through the results forum and looked at when interview invites and acceptances have gone out for my programs in the past, and it looks like I just need to make it 'til the end of next week--then there'll be something every week or so after that through Feb.

it's just making it to then without going crazy--and then going crazier by recognizing that it's crazy to be checking my email for something that I fairly well know won't be here for another week, but then still checking. Blerg.

so, new mantra: "end of next week, end of next week...."

until then: well, you know what this thread is for.

Edited by haltheincandescent

4 hours ago, DrZoidberg said:

If I can say there has been one good thing to come from the waiting period, it is that I have a much better idea about my priorities. I am applying to six programs, and my prioritized list was much different before I applied than it is now. Kind of like when you flip a coin to make a decision, but you don't have to look at the result because all of a sudden you kind of realize that you certain preference for the outcome. I could kind of sense it when I wrote my SOP's, and now that I am hoping to hear back. Now I have universities where I really, really hope for admission, and some that I would be really okay with not getting into, and they are not what I thought they would be before I applied. So yay, waiting, right?

Yes, I completely agree! You don't realize how your priority-ranked list looks until you check the gradcafe results and find yourself praying that school X hasn't sent out acceptances yet. I told myself when I applied that I would be grateful to get in anywhere since my subject GRE scores aren't fantastic, but now that I know at least one school is interested in me, I'm getting greedy and hoping for the Ivy Leagues. I really didn't need my ego inflated by an interview invitation! 

Also, @haltheincandescent, I completely agree. I would be surprised if I heard back from any schools within the next month, yet here I am checking my e-mail 7-8 times per day! You're lucky that you just have to wait a week, though. For me, it's close enough that I can't just forget about it, but far enough away that sleeping 14-16 hours a day just to make the days go faster would have some serious side effects <_<

Edited by Dishsoap

I've been trying to figure out how to turn myself into a dog. Dogs don't have to worry about grad schools. And my last reference still hasn't sent her letters in! wiucgowcbailbviaguiaevbadaf.

@Dishsoap I think you need a bit of an ego boost to 1) get through this in a semi-healthy mental state and 2) do well in whichever interview process might be coming up. My current supervisor mentioned he might offer me funding for a PhD (I am just employed as a visiting researcher right now), and knowing that I *might* have this very good offer, I am mainly just hoping for one particular program, which, okay, is super ambitious anyway. At least for me, a bit of confidence and ego just helps me sleep better and get through the day. 

I want to thank @piglet33 , @123hardasABC , and @gingin6789 for their support on here these last few days. I ended up getting invited to recruitment weekend at my #1 school with my #1 POI. You guys rock and I know good news is just around the corner for you as well :)

Edited by Dr. Brains

44 minutes ago, Dr. Brains said:

I want to thank @piglet33 , @123hardasABC , and @gingin6789 for their support on here these last few days. I ended up getting invited to recruitment weekend at my #1 school with my #1 POI. You guys rock and I know good news is just around the corner for you as well :)

Congrats, that's awesome! Hope everyone else gets good news soon :D

On a somewhat side note, it seems like the people on GradCafe tend to be the ones who are the most qualified/likely to be accepted to their programs of choice. So I'd say the odds are already in y'alls favor!

10 minutes ago, Elvidi said:

Congrats, that's awesome! Hope everyone else gets good news soon :D

On a somewhat side note, it seems like the people on GradCafe tend to be the ones who are the most qualified/likely to be accepted to their programs of choice. So I'd say the odds are already in y'alls favor!

I wish my amount of care were directly proportional to the excellence of my application :unsure:

1 hour ago, Dr. Brains said:

Brains, that's AMAZING!! congratulations!! So happy for you! Best of luck and keep us posted! And your kind and supportive words are most appreciated! :-)

6 hours ago, piglet33 said:

Just think, by August we'll be at our still-to-be-determined new schools.....that's an exciting thought. Now future, will I need to pack clothes for sunshine year-round or snow?

I know--it's so odd. I was looking at tour dates for a couple of bands (and also the touring Shakespeare 1st folio, because that's happening, and I'm super excited :D), and all the dates around where I am now were in July/August. And I was like--"oh, hey, yeah, I probably won't even be living here then. Huh." But I don't even know which cities' dates to look at, yet.

@haltheincandescent i'm so excited because whichever school I end up at, there's going to be some epic live concerts and festivals near (by near I'm including a 3hr drive). I can't wait!!! I'm not looking forward to all the visa crap first though. Just want to get started on all the bureaucratic stuff so I can enjoy life again, but I gotta find out where I'm accepted to first. You see this positive approach, this is how I'm getting through this. I WILL be accepted somewhere lol.

12 hours ago, Dr. Brains said:

Oh my goodness! Congratulations!!

8 minutes ago, haltheincandescent said:

I know--it's so odd. I was looking at tour dates for a couple of bands (and also the touring Shakespeare 1st folio, because that's happening, and I'm super excited :D), and all the dates around where I am now were in July/August. And I was like--"oh, hey, yeah, I probably won't even be living here then. Huh." But I don't even know which cities' dates to look at, yet.

Same here, I'm leaving Virginia and I've been living here for 15 years now. I'm extremely excited though! I can't wait to live in a new region. It would be nice to return to the PNW. I do love my clouds and rain. Indianapolis was an awesome city too and Kansas City isn't too far away either. Plus I want to know where I'm going so me and my boyfriend can plan things!

1 hour ago, haltheincandescent said:

@piglet33 same! almost regardless of where I get accepted, I'll be in or near a major city for the first time--which means finally being in a city that tours go through. so excited!

I'm in the same boat with the big city! That was actually something I was looking for when applying to schools, and, thankfully, pretty much all of the programs in my field are located in or near big cities. I'm so pumped. 

9 hours ago, piglet33 said:

Just think, by August we'll be at our still-to-be-determined new schools.....that's an exciting thought. Now future, will I need to pack clothes for sunshine year-round or snow?

I know right? It's crazy! I always schedule my annual-ish doctors' appointments around this time of year, and I had a small existential crisis when they asked what time I'll be available next year. 

10 hours ago, piglet33 said:

Unfortunately, all the schools I've applied to are in cold places, so it's a pretty easy process for me. :)

Pretty much my only requirement for schools I applied to is that they must get a non-negligible amount of snow each year. I've never lived anywhere but in the heart of Illinois, so I'm not even sure what places see summer and what places don't. So I pretty much drew a line across the US (with a small "Berkeley dip") and applied everywhere north of that line.