WINE, WAIT, AND WHINE THREAD

Dr. Brains

2 hours ago, haltheincandescent said:

ugh. though at least they could argue some sort of at least vaguely understandable regulatory basis for a law like that, instead of, almost literally "you can't buy that on sunday! you're supposed to be in church on sunday!

Also: I'm going to walk the middle line, and say I'm mostly cider drinker. Beers and wines are good, but nothing like a cider. Fruitier ones in the spring/summer, maple-y ones in the fall/winter. Yum!

Yeah apparently not all of the wine/liquor stores are closed on Sunday, but the vast majority of them are. 

I was watching Always Sunny in Philadelphia once, and they were in a gas station store, and it seemed to be "PA accurate," shelves lined with Tastykakes (a PA staple) and everything, but then they grabbed a cold beer and I said to myself "they almost had it!! You can't get a beer at a gas station though!" 

Ciders are also great! They're always so light and crisp. My favorite beers are Belgian ales (dubbel, tripel, quad)!

Like other folks in here, I'm mainly a beer drinker but have been trying to expand my wine knowledge. I have 4 more applications to submit by COB Friday before I can twist open a bottle of cheap moscato.

Actually, since the temperature has finally decided to dip in my area I can brew up some glühwein to feel all warm and cozy as a marathon Star Trek: TNG! Thanks for getting the Blu-Ray editions up, Netflix. 

11 hours ago, Dr. Brains said:

my new year's resolution of drinking less during the week and the anxiety producing waiting period are conflicting and causing me problems

WashU started sending out rejections two days ago....so, uh......to the beer!

@123hardasABC if I did that I'll have a very sore head for tomorrows exam!! No alcohol for me tonight. Water, brain food and an early night. I'll be back on the wine/beer/tequila train on Friday night. End exam, out for pizza and finally seeing star wars :D who says this time of year has to be stressful? (oh it is, it so is)

Oh man ... the dreams have started. This happened two years ago when applying for Master's programs.

I'm a lucid dreamer, so most of the time I'm good at distinguishing if I'm dreaming ... Last night though, I had a dream where I got accepted to both of my December 1 deadline programs. One of them I was so unsure about because the fit wasn't *as* good as some of the other programs I applied to. In the dream though, I got a really sweet fellowship. I even said to my fiance in the dream "See, this isn't even a dream either!"

Hahahhahaha *cries*

On 1/4/2016 at 3:10 PM, Nolagirl said:

I've watched 4 seasons of criminal minds since turning in my applications.

I literally watched all 10 seasons between my first big deadline (ca. Thanksgiving break) and now. Should have paced myself because I submitted my last app yesterday and have nothing left to binge HELP

The worst part is I'm currently not drinking because of some medication, and I really don't think I can do this whole waiting thing sober ...

4 hours ago, Nolagirl said:

@Elvidi have you watched Bones? It's one of my favorites and I think there are 10 seasons on Netflix already! If not, how about Parks and Rec? If you've seen those, let me know! My SO is a movie/TV buff so I can find more suggestions for you!

I used to LOVE Bones but I sort of stopped watching around season 6 or 7! I think that might be my next thing :) 

Dishsoap that's awful!! I'm so sorry to hear you had such a draining experience :-(

I spent tonight watching Harry Potter with my fiancé and having a beer (a Porter, specifically). Thought that would be appropriate to mention in this thread. :-)

6 hours ago, Elvidi said:

I literally watched all 10 seasons between my first big deadline (ca. Thanksgiving break) and now. Should have paced myself because I submitted my last app yesterday and have nothing left to binge HELP

The worst part is I'm currently not drinking because of some medication, and I really don't think I can do this whole waiting thing sober ...

If you're looking for other shows I'd try NCIS; NCIS New Orleans; NCIS Los Angeles; Bates Motel; Quantico; How to Get Away with Murder; Moral Orel; Life in Pieces; Deadbeat; Chicago PD; Chicago Med; or Robot Chicken.

Sadly that's not even half the shows I watch lmao!

These discussions of liquor laws are awesome. I did one of my degrees in PA, and live in OH, so when I would drive to school I would make sure to pick up some easy-to-get Ohio booze for PA consumption, knowing getting it in PA would be a pain. ;)

Meanwhile, in Ohio, not only can you get even hard liquor in many grocery stores, but we have DRIVE THROUGH liquor stores. That usually makes out-of-state visitors' jaws drop.

All this talk about binge-watching TV shows: the spouse and I are making our way through Elementary, the inferior Holmes show, and are really digging it. It's a fun time waster.

I'm an international student and my top choice school is Penn State, so very interesting to know about the liquor laws! No such restrictions here, I can buy booze in the corner shop, supermarket, petrol station, literally everywhere. Sometimes it's easier to find beer than water. 

And in other news, my first exam is done (woohoo!), so i think I can have a glass of wine tonight while obsessively refreshing my emails and status updates. 

Do you all netflix binge? I like shows that don't require too much thought, as I think we use our brains enough during the day! I ended up halfway through Season 2 of SoA which was great, can't remember why I stopped watching it. Right now, I'm on nickleodeon shows (yes I know you all are judging me).

50 minutes ago, The Interdisciplinarian said:

These discussions of liquor laws are awesome. I did one of my degrees in PA, and live in OH, so when I would drive to school I would make sure to pick up some easy-to-get Ohio booze for PA consumption, knowing getting it in PA would be a pain. ;)

Meanwhile, in Ohio, not only can you get even hard liquor in many grocery stores, but we have DRIVE THROUGH liquor stores. That usually makes out-of-state visitors' jaws drop.

I'm originally from South Dakota, where you can get any kind of liquor at pretty much every store that sells food (grocery store, gas station, Target ...) so I was a little confused when I first got to Colorado haha

1 hour ago, piglet33 said:

I'm an international student and my top choice school is Penn State, so very interesting to know about the liquor laws! No such restrictions here, I can buy booze in the corner shop, supermarket, petrol station, literally everywhere. Sometimes it's easier to find beer than water. 

And in other news, my first exam is done (woohoo!), so i think I can have a glass of wine tonight while obsessively refreshing my emails and status updates. 

Do you all netflix binge? I like shows that don't require too much thought, as I think we use our brains enough during the day! I ended up halfway through Season 2 of SoA which was great, can't remember why I stopped watching it. Right now, I'm on nickleodeon shows (yes I know you all are judging me).

Glad you know about them now, so you are prepared if you end up going to PSU! 

I do netflix binge on shows that don't require too much thought haha. I've been watching Bob's Burgers during the day while my fiance is at work. And I've been working on data coding for my thesis, of course.

Elvidi, does Colorado have similarly strict alcohol laws like PA does? 

On 1/6/2016 at 9:35 AM, 123hardasABC said:

WashU started sending out rejections two days ago....so, uh......to the beer!

I think I saw someone got an interview for my area (Behavior, Brain, and Cognition) so now I feel like it's over for me. My POI emailed me his grant and we had a nice convo but I guess I just got edged out. SO upset right now :(

Brains, your field sounds specific; does only one applicant get an interview for your specialty area?

If more than one person gets an interview, don't feel like it's over until you actually receive a rejection/official word that *all* interviews have gone out!

Have a nice cup of tea now or a delicious coffee now, and a nice glass of wine later.

Exactly, it's not over until we've officially heard back from everyone so stay strong, and when that fails...ehhh well you know what this thread is titled. @Dr. Brains keep optimistic, it may be a case that your area sends out interviews in phases, or by PI or by a variety of different ways. 

We're not rejected til we get that letter that says thanks but no thanks. We got this!

40 minutes ago, gingin6789 said:

Brains, your field sounds specific; does only one applicant get an interview for your specialty area?

If more than one person gets an interview, don't feel like it's over until you actually receive a rejection/official word that *all* interviews have gone out!

Have a nice cup of tea now or a delicious coffee now, and a nice glass of wine later.

So there are about 5 mentors in the area who are presumably taking on one student each. I applied to a 2 people in the area and one of them got back with me and I REALLY love his work so I was super excited to hear from him.

My current PI kinda has the inside scoop on the school because she went there as a post doc and is close with the faculty that I applied to and she said that I was in the top 3 applicants that were being considered to be invited to recruitment weekend but that they could probably only invite one or two...and after seeing that the person who posted today got an "email from their POI to come visit or skype" I feel like they got invited to go to the recruitment weekend... 

Just gonna try to be realistic here but also pretty upset...