WINE, WAIT, AND WHINE THREAD

Dr. Brains

6 minutes ago, Yav Friendly said:

Should take some efforts to standardize this thing. Can not rely on what has been remembered.

I actually wonder if people who've applied to MIT had to search for common misspellings of Mass. on the survey.

3 hours ago, anthrostudentcyn said:

guys I have such senioritis I just realized I'm only signed up for one class. i totally forgot I'm actually still in school

Do you have to take a full schedule? Thankfully I only have to take one real class (2 credit lab)! The rest I filled with research and two fun classes of interests. 

3 hours ago, 123hardasABC said:

I actually wonder if people who've applied to MIT had to search for common misspellings of Mass. on the survey.

When I got my interview at MIT, I knew I was waaaaay too excited to try to spell out Massachusetts correctly, so I just put MIT (can't embarrass myself that way!) I just searched for my field or MIT to avoid sifting through the millions of Maassaaachusett in the results B)

21 minutes ago, NoOrgoPlease said:

Do you have to take a full schedule? Thankfully I only have to take one real class (2 credit lab)! The rest I filled with research and two fun classes of interests. 

That's the approach I took as well. Taking one actual class and one for fun (Always wanted to learn Java). And then taking 6 credit hours of research and TAing 8 courses. $$$$$

About class registration -- I waited until after the holidays were over to email my professor to authorize me for thesis credits this semester. And that's all I'm doing this semester -- no classes, just thesis.

Well, she gave me the info on January 4th, but I guess I waited until the 5th to register.

Lo and behold, we had to register by January 4th or else we would get a $100 late registration fee. I had NO idea about this fee, otherwise I would've registered as soon as my prof gave me the override. 

*headdesk*

I seriously thought we had until the beginning of the semester (January 25th) to register!

100 freaking dollars?? My school's not exactly hurting for money. Why $100?! It was on the website, but there were no emails or anything else sent out notifying us of this.

Edited by gingin6789

9 minutes ago, Pink Fuzzy Bunny said:

I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully you applied to >1 place? 

Give me a few days, and we can wine together!

Haha, yes I applied to several places. While I am upset (it was a tie for my first choice), I do have 4 interview invitations (one is the other top choice). 

I'll be right here when you're ready! *raises glass*

Thanks Gingin! My first interview is in a couple of weeks and I am super nervous. I know that being invited means I have a good shot at being accepted, but I can't stop thinking "what if I don't". Gah. 

@artsy16 sorry to hear about the rejection man (gender neutral, I call everyone man)! Enjoy the wine and the fact you have interviews. 

The conversation about class registration just saddens me! I have way too many classes on right now (4) + research + labs + training. I'd love the choice to tone it down, unfortunately it doesn't work that way here. Even in undergrad your final semester is horrible - coursework, research and 6 classes. I was in timetabled lectures/seminars/labs for 30 hours a week, then had my research hours which added up to another 20hrs and I still had training (~ 20 hrs a week). Needless to say I was exhausted, but feel ready for the time demands of PhDs!!

I'll be joining you all with the wine (and brandy) at the weekend. Raising my water bottle to you all!

Edited by piglet33

9 minutes ago, artsy16 said:

Thanks Gingin! My first interview is in a couple of weeks and I am super nervous. I know that being invited means I have a good shot at being accepted, but I can't stop thinking "what if I don't". Gah. 

Same! I got an interview invite today, adding to another good but still non-decisive email I got a week or so ago from another program. On the one hand, it's all definitely great news, and I'm ready to shout from the rooftops. But on another, neither are for 100% sure set things, so I'm (trying, but mostly failing) to restrain my excitement. And then this half-excitement is mixed with the waiting anxiety, which we all know so well, from the remaining 12 quiet-so-far programs. A weird mix of emotions, for sure.

4 hours ago, anthrostudentcyn said:

guys I have such senioritis I just realized I'm only signed up for one class. i totally forgot I'm actually still in school

Dude, me too. I'm signed up for one class: Master Thesis. It's not a class; I'm done with formal instruction. I just have to submit my thesis by the end of the semester. 

The senioritis and writer's block are reaaaaaaaal.

Edited by 123hardasABC
Grammar (writer's block is very real)

Good luck @haltheincandescent! I keep telling myself "I only need one (acceptance)". I'm also really anxious/excited to get my own apartment! I found a great one near my top choice school, so needless to say I'm very attached. This could end really well or really poorly lol. Stay tuned. 

I'm glad I'm not the only who has already scoped out apartments near my top schools. I mean hey, I'm going to be sad anyway when I get rejected, what will a few more tears hurt? :rolleyes:

Although my top choice schools seem to be in very expensive areas. Coming from a farm town in the Midwest, the costs of living there make me want to vomit.

Are post-interview acceptances common? I only have the one interview invite so far. My close friends are very excited for me to start school next year but I'm just as anxious as before. The resounding thought in my head is that rejection is still very real. 

Just now, Pink Fuzzy Bunny said:

I'm glad I'm not the only who has already scoped out apartments near my top schools. I mean hey, I'm going to be sad anyway when I get rejected, what will a few more tears hurt? :rolleyes:

Although my top choice schools seem to be in very expensive areas. Coming from a farm town in the Midwest, the costs of living there make me want to vomit.

(Sorry for the double post; your reply came in as I was submitting my prior one)

I see you applied to Berkeley. I went there for undergrad. Be prepared to cry many, many tears of money.

On January 7, 2016 at 9:47 PM, MarineBluePsy said:

If you're looking for other shows I'd try NCIS; NCIS New Orleans; NCIS Los Angeles; Bates Motel; Quantico; How to Get Away with Murder; Moral Orel; Life in Pieces; Deadbeat; Chicago PD; Chicago Med; or Robot Chicken.

Sadly that's not even half the shows I watch lmao!

Right before my first big app deadline I was in a car crash that totaled my car. I couldn't really leave the couch for a bit so I binged watched NCIS. Then three weeks after that my husband was in an accident where we totaled the rental car from my crash...so two months, two crashes, and here we are 11 seasons later... 

2 minutes ago, 123hardasABC said:

(Sorry for the double post; your reply came in as I was submitting my prior one)

I see you applied to Berkeley. I went there for undergrad. Be prepared to cry many, many tears of money.

Yes, that was one of the places for which I was looking at apartments. I'd really like to live alone, so I think it might be cheaper to buy a private jet and commute from Illinois :P

3 minutes ago, Pink Fuzzy Bunny said:

Yes, that was one of the places for which I was looking at apartments. I'd really like to live alone, so I think it might be cheaper to buy a private jet and commute from Illinois :P

http://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/calculator.jsp If you want to feel really bad about money, lol.....

3 hours ago, NoOrgoPlease said:

I don't have to, basically all I need to do is write the rest of my thesis, but my school is annoying and money grubbing and so you pay by semester. So I'll be paying the same amount if I take one course or five, so I think I'm going to take 3 probably that directly relate to my thesis. I'll also be a teaching assistant (just heard today!!) and so I wish I had known about that to put on my apps. 

Also, congrats to everyone who has interviews. I haven't heard a peep!