WINE, WAIT, AND WHINE THREAD

Dr. Brains

@anthrostudentcyn You could always ask! They may not get them done in time, but its worth a shot. My last reference FINALLY submitted her letters, two days before the deadlines. I asked her if she could be a reference in September. I definitely deserve an award for my patience! But I already got 10 books from Amazon...

@Need Coffee in an IV 10?! I'm sure those will keep you busy for the next few months!

@anthrostudentcyn Might as well give it a shot. I mean, they probably already have it typed out, so it shouldn't be any more inconvenient to ask for it now than it would have been a month ago.

Edited by Pink Fuzzy Bunny

@Pink Fuzzy Bunny I'm a huge bookworm! I have a word document of all the books I want to read and they are either not highlighted meaning I haven't read them, highlighted in blue meaning I ordered them and haven't finished reading them, and finally highlighted in yellow meaning I've read that book. I have over a hundred books I want to read ha. In my future home I want to create a library! Plus I got them for under a 100 dollars, because Amazon is the best.

1 minute ago, Need Coffee in an IV said:

@Pink Fuzzy Bunny I'm a huge bookworm! I have a word document of all the books I want to read and they are either not highlighted meaning I haven't read them, highlighted in blue meaning I ordered them and haven't finished reading them, and finally highlighted in yellow meaning I've read that book. I have over a hundred books I want to read ha. In my future home I want to create a library! Plus I got them for under a 100 dollars, because Amazon is the best.

That's fantastic! Over the summer I found a fantastic used book store by me and picked up 8-9 books... still working through them :( Props to you, and a great way to stay busy during the waiting season.

@Pink Fuzzy Bunny Ha this way I make sure my boyfriend and friends still love me and don't have to deal with my constant complaining. Plus I'm sure my physics class coming up will keep me distracted. Physics and Chemistry have been the bane of my existence ha, sooo good luck in your grad school studies! My mind just does not compute, but I do well in all of my geology classes!

I have probably over 100 books I've collected over my 4 years of college....when I get an apartment I WILL get a proper bookshelf, categorize them by topic (then put them in alphabetical order), and read each. Slowly. Very slowly. 

I've accrued something like....over 300 books. I'm really not looking forward to moving them across the country to wherever I end up...and yet I still end up with more, and more... (how can you pass up a 50% off or $1 book sale? [I am very good at finding these]) (Literature major problems...?)

I'm a weirdo and save all my class readings for my favorite classes because I like the thought of lending out my copies of Foucault and levi-strauss and stuff to students. 

In terms of complaining, I haven't told friends I'm applying (don't want to jinx things) so I'm going crazy with nowhere to vent hehe

17 minutes ago, Need Coffee in an IV said:

I just looked up my schools/programs on petersons, don't do this. I am now convinced I will not get into anywhere and will live out my days in an applebees.

I had never heard of this resource until now. I just did this, too. Please pick me up an application to Applebee's as well.

Also, I've had to keep pretty quiet to most of my physics friends as well, since some of them are also applying but with no research experience, sub-3.0 GPA's, etc... so I have a feeling a lot of them won't make it in anywhere, and I don't want to be the bragger who does.

Edited by Pink Fuzzy Bunny

1 minute ago, Pink Fuzzy Bunny said:

I had never heard of this resource until now. I just did this as well. Please pick me up an application to Applebee's as well.

I mean two broke girls is a hit tv show, so two broke grad wannabees should be worth a pilot at least!

2 minutes ago, Need Coffee in an IV said:

I mean two broke girls is a hit tv show, so two broke grad wannabees should be worth a pilot at least!

I'd be up for that. Of course, as a physics girl, I've always wanted to make a combination strip club / tutoring center. I mean... what?

53 minutes ago, Need Coffee in an IV said:

Ooh--can I be writer/director? At least then, if the whole 2% admissions rate (D:) thing doesn't work I can at least stay in my general field. Also will have appropriate life experience.

58 minutes ago, Pink Fuzzy Bunny said:

Also, I've had to keep pretty quiet to most of my physics friends as well, since some of them are also applying but with no research experience, sub-3.0 GPA's, etc... so I have a feeling a lot of them won't make it in anywhere, and I don't want to be the bragger who does.

Also: this. I have a friend who I went through the whole application process with, and while he definitely has a strong application...I heard back about an interview at a school we both applied to, and, unless he's waiting to tell me until I tell him for the same reason, he didn't. On the one hand, I know he'll be just as excited for me as I would be for him if it was flipped the other way around, but I also can't deny that I would be discouraged--not jealous or anything, really, but bummed nonetheless. Trying to figure out the best way to share the info--I really don't want to be the bearer of bad news :/.

Edited by haltheincandescent

42 minutes ago, Pink Fuzzy Bunny said:

I'd be up for that. Of course, as a physics girl, I've always wanted to make a combination strip club / tutoring center. I mean... what?

A strip pole would be an interesting tool to teach motion........

25 minutes ago, haltheincandescent said:

On the one hand, I know he'll be just as excited for me as I would be for him if it was flipped the other way around, but I also can't deny that I would be discouraged--not jealous or anything, really, but bummed nonetheless. Trying to figure out the best way to share the info--I really don't want to be the bearer of bad news :/.

Wow, I definitely feel you on this one. I want to ask some of my friends who applied to a few of the same programs if we will be going on visitation weekends together or not :(. Hearing them say no would probably be a real downer for them and me

25 minutes ago, haltheincandescent said:

Ooh--can I be writer/director? At least then, if the whole 2% admissions rate (D:) thing doesn't work I can at least stay in my general field. Also will have appropriate life experience.

Also: this. I have a friend who I went through the whole application process with, and while he definitely has a strong application...I heard back about an interview at a school we both applied to, and, unless he's waiting to tell me until I tell him for the same reason, he didn't. On the one hand, I know he'll be just as excited for me as I would be for him if it was flipped the other way around, but I also can't deny that I would be discouraged--not jealous or anything, really, but bummed nonetheless. Trying to figure out the best way to share the info--I really don't want to be the bearer of bad news :/.

I'm going to laugh so hard if you see each other on interview day. Keep us posted.

21 minutes ago, 123hardasABC said:

A strip pole would be an interesting tool to teach motion........

I was thinking it'd be quite easy to teach things like torque and centripetal force... the more I think about it, the more I want to give up on grad school just to do this.

8 hours ago, haltheincandescent said:

Oh: and now, there are the academia.edu views. But no city listed..... where are you from, mysterious visitor person?? :ph34r:

I didn't have a city listed on the inital page I clicked on. There was just a generic "someone from somewhere in the united states viewed your page" thing going on, but I clicked on something that finally listed the city. I'm pretty pleased with what I saw, too!

8 minutes ago, Pink Fuzzy Bunny said:

I was thinking it'd be quite easy to teach things like torque and centripetal force... the more I think about it, the more I want to give up on grad school just to do this.

Okay. How about this, if we don't get into grad school, we pitch in what little money we have left and open up the Sexipetal Force Lounge?

On 1/12/2016 at 0:28 PM, artsy16 said:

Good luck @haltheincandescent! I keep telling myself "I only need one (acceptance)". I'm also really anxious/excited to get my own apartment! I found a great one near my top choice school, so needless to say I'm very attached. This could end really well or really poorly lol. Stay tuned. 

No you need 2 acceptances!  You want to be able to choose where you go because more than one place values your talents and abilities.  If you only have one option then you may always wonder what if you'd just said no and reapplied or were you picked for reasons other than your talents and abilities?

It's crazy, I'm in a pretty good university, though my major is only 8 people in my year, but I know ZERO other seniors applying to grad school, in my major or any others, except for my best friend going for an MSW. I tried to get some other people in my major to apply to grad schools so I'd have someone else to commiserate with but they all wanted to gtfo of school haahaha

1 hour ago, MarineBluePsy said:

No you need 2 acceptances!  You want to be able to choose where you go because more than one place values your talents and abilities.  If you only have one option then you may always wonder what if you'd just said no and reapplied or were you picked for reasons other than your talents and abilities?

That isn't an issue for me. Many people go through "imposter syndrome" regardless of how many acceptances they have. It's an ok feeling to have, as long as it doesn't linger and hinder your performance. I already have a top choice (my first interview next weekend). Unless something goes HORRIBLY wrong, it'll remain my top choice and I would commit in a heartbeat if accepted. It would be great to sit and compare aid packages, research, quality of life, etc but options stress *me* out more. I think there's a greater chance I'll have "what if" doubts if I actively choose to accept one offer and decline another. I do have another school tied for a top, and realistically it would be more advantageous for me to have more than one option (hope I get into both). It's good stress to have. And it does feel good when more than one place wants you :) 

Edited by artsy16