WINE, WAIT, AND WHINE THREAD

Dr. Brains

I only applied to one place. I could probably be a strong contender at other schools but the one I applied to I think would be the best fit for me and it was really the only place I got excited envisioning myself at. (Among other reasons such as school qualities)

I couldn't apply to just one clinical psych PhD program....I might as well not even apply lol. For masters programs (I was thinkin MSW), I planned to only apply to 2 or 3. Ended up going solely for PhD.  

But of course, if I get into my top choice I'll say "man, I should've only applied here and saved money :)". 

How about this....if sometime between January 25th and February 1st (possibly a tad later) I post "man, I should've only applied to one place :)" that means I was accepted to my top choice. Let's see if anyone remembers (including myself haha).

Edited by artsy16

31 minutes ago, artsy16 said:

I couldn't apply to just one clinical psych PhD program....I might as well not even apply lol. For masters programs (I was thinkin MSW), I planned to only apply to 2 or 3. Ended up going solely for PhD.  

But of course, if I get into my top choice I'll say "man, I should've only applied here and saved money :)". 

How about this....if sometime between January 25th and February 1st (possibly a tad later) I post "man, I should've only applied to one place :)" that means I was accepted to my top choice. Let's see if anyone remembers (including myself haha).

I'll remember... I hope you say end up saying that :P

4 hours ago, Need Coffee in an IV said:

I just looked up my schools/programs on petersons, don't do this. I am now convinced I will not get into anywhere and will live out my days in an applebees.

I didn't listen to your advice, but I just did this as well but it had the opposite effect! I didn't apply for many terribly competitive MA programs though.

30 minutes ago, Pink Fuzzy Bunny said:

I keep seeing people mentioning their views on LinkedIn and academia.edu... is this normal for a prospective graduate student to have? At least in my field, I've never heard of an undergrad having one... especially since we submit a CV as part of our grad apps. 

I think at a certain point, most people have some kind of online presence. I know I have a LinkedIn and a ResearchGate (honestly it's half so I can keep my own stuff together) and particularly these days, it's probably good to let someone look you up easily to get a feel for you. It's intended more for people looking for tenure, but I found this Earth Science prof's blog-hosted list of suggestions to at least offer some perspective (e.g. number 9 in the second list): http://downtoearthquestions.blogspot.com/2013/07/some-advice-on-how-to-get-tenure-and.html

Man I missed a lot on here while I was asleep. @Need Coffee in an IV I desparately want a library in my new home, but for right now all my books are on my kindle as I have no idea which country I'm going to be in and I need my library to be portable for the time being. That being said, I'm already on book 2 of the year :) I love reading and I find it's such a good break from studying!

I have absolutely no friends applying to grad schools abroad, some are applying to PhDs in the UK but the process is very different and not as taxing and also on a different  timescale so we can't freak out together. I can't imagine being in a situation like @haltheincandescent, that's gotta be tough.

As for linked in - I think it's invaluable as soon as you start looking beyond undergrad. I urge everyone over the age of 20 to have an account as it's the start of your professional persona. I have not come across researchgate and academia.edu but might have to check them out, although a quick search shows none of the PIs I applied to are on there. Great article, @gelologist!

I have a quadrennial review today. It's a super big deal and I'm kinda nervous about it - there's some areas in the department I really feel could be developed further but I also don't want to give them a bad impression because I love it here. Also, a PI asked me to draft a personal statement for a fellowship on Friday, and I got it to him on Sunday and I still haven't heard from him (it was in bullet points, we need to work on it further). Not a great sign in my mind.

Edited by piglet33

6 hours ago, Pink Fuzzy Bunny said:

Also a valid point. I see a lot of people on these forums that only apply to one place... I wonder if that's why.

To give a bit of perspective on this, I'm one of those oddballs that only applied to one school. I did have a laundry list of PhD programs and professors I'd love to work with in my field when I started thinking about the application process in mid 2015. I had vetted the list of professors with my PI and the faculty members in my program and I ended up adding a few programs (as well as deleting a few) based on their suggestions. In the end, I only applied to one school because I had an absolutely awful quant GRE score. I didn't study enough and I actually emailed my letter writers to thank them and tell them that I actually wouldn't be applying after all. After reading that email, one of my professors urged me to reach out to a PoI I had been talking to for most of the year. I was very explicit in my email to the PoI and stated my exact percentile score in order to prevent any confusion. They still encouraged me to apply, even with a sub 25th percentile quant GRE score, based on the merit of the rest of my application. 

While I am rather proud of the rest of my application, I know that most departments won't see past that GRE score. I don't expect them to and I didn't want to set myself up for a bunch of rejection letters. I hate the feeling of having all my eggs in one basket, but I am heartened by the fact that my PoI encouraged me to apply and has had multiple conversations with me throughout the year. 

I feel like most students who apply to a single school are aware of how limiting it is, even if they are applying to their 'dream school'. I would much rather have applied to 10+ schools like you did.

Yes to all of this! Sorry I'm useless in conversation, I'm drinking my body weight in coffee at the moment. My mentor is lucky I love him. By the way, instead of getting huge bonuses for the show, everyone will get their own personalized library!

18 hours ago, 123hardasABC said:

I just looked at my calendar and realized that my interview is next Friday. :X I feel nervous and jittery now. 

Mine isn't until next month but I'm already freaking out.... everyone keeps telling me to "be myself" but i'm having ridiculous imposter syndrome right now

6 minutes ago, Dr. Brains said:

Mine isn't until next month but I'm already freaking out.... everyone keeps telling me to "be myself" but i'm having ridiculous imposter syndrome right now

The word "imposter syndrome" itself is comforting, don't you think?

6 minutes ago, Dr. Brains said:

When can we expect imposter syndrome to go away?

First publication? Degree attainment? RETIREMENT!?

bc just getting accepted makes me think these schools are crazy more than that im super qualified

12 minutes ago, Dr. Brains said:

Right? "Be myself"? I re-read my SOPs and holy hell, who is this person? My biggest fear right now is that I'm going to be a different impostor than the one I wrote about in these essays....

1 hour ago, rhombusbombus said:

First acceptance came 2 days ago. Im finally letting myself think it's real. 

It was my top choice but now is second bc i have such a good fit with another PI at a different school. 

But the cost of living at 2 is sooooo much cheaper than at 1

I just got my first acceptance as well, but it's probably at the most expensive school I applied to. Ugh.

I'll see how things pan out with funding.

15 minutes ago, anthrostudentcyn said:

I've been asked to give a talk at a place i'm applying, but a different department. Even though they're not directly the ones judging my app, I keep feeling like it was a prank that I was asked to speak! Imposter syndrome is so real!

Relax, it just says you are AWESOME.

16 minutes ago, anthrostudentcyn said:

I've been asked to give a talk at a place i'm applying, but a different department. Even though they're not directly the ones judging my app, I keep feeling like it was a prank that I was asked to speak! Imposter syndrome is so real!

Congrats!! That's really neat, and be sure to plaster posters of your talk (make them if they don't exist!) all over the department where you applied :P

I echo this impostor syndrome. This is why I'm glad the places I applied don't do interviews, so I'm not uncovered. But on the other hand, I got an acceptance from the place I did a (horrible, HORRIBLE) interview last week (must've been for a scholarship which I clearly won't get). Woo!

@morifol @Pink Fuzzy Bunny thanks all! Honestly the less people at the talk the better hehe. Also, pretty sure the guy who invited me insinuated on the talk invitation that I'm a professor, when alas, I am a 21 year old undergrad. Some people might be surprised, to say the least ;)

1 minute ago, anthrostudentcyn said:

@morifol @Pink Fuzzy Bunny thanks all! Honestly the less people at the talk the better hehe. Also, pretty sure the guy who invited me insinuated on the talk invitation that I'm a professor, when alas, I am a 21 year old undergrad. Some people might be surprised, to say the least ;)

Oh, there is a good way to make the best out of it. Just look hot, they'll be distracted. ;)

Just now, morifol said:

Oh, there is a good way to make the best out of it. Just look hot, they'll be distracted. ;)

ha! tbh that's what I was planning on, partly. my mentor said presentation is very important when giving talks, and definitely to get my nails and hair done