WINE, WAIT, AND WHINE THREAD

Dr. Brains

11 hours ago, raaawr said:

just out of curiosity, what courses are you guys applying for and what are you planning to do with your degrees after?

Electrical Engineering, focus on electromagnetics, RF circuits, and antennas. I applied to twelve schools. hahaha!! I got a little carried away. I first applied to seven, only to realize that all of them were top tier. So of course I put in some more "safety" schools. I did get an acceptance this week from one of the top tier schools (U of Mich), so I'll just wait to see what else pops up.

@raaawr I've applied for kinesiology/biomechanics PhDs, with a focus on knees. that seems a broad focus, but I'm interested in the injury mechanisms (less so), the surgery (including materials used and techniques to minimise healing time) and the post-operative process. I'd love work my up and become a head honcho in a department (before I have to retire for it taking so long to get there lol), but I'm really goaling for professorship, with a side business of property flipping and elite athlete consultancy. That's the dream! 

I only applied to 4 schools and I've heard something from 3 (in terms of application materials not acceptances). The 4th I think is a bizarre process. You apply, then you contact the professor you want to work with, then once they respond the committee will look at your application. I have heard nothing from the professors there, and I'm annoyed at wasting the $75. It was a new condition they put in for Fall 2016 applications and I don't like it! 

@gingin6789 so glad you had a relaxed, but full of love wedding! Once again, congratulations (from one internet stranger-friend to another). 

congratulations to everyone who has been accepted and to those chosen for interviews :)

it's amazing how we are all here in one place stressing over the same thing but our fields are so different from each other. good luck to all of us! i hope we all get into our chosen schools :)

1 hour ago, raaawr said:

congratulations to everyone who has been accepted and to those chosen for interviews :)

it's amazing how we are all here in one place stressing over the same thing but our fields are so different from each other. good luck to all of us! i hope we all get into our chosen schools :)

I agree! I feel like I rarely get to interact with people outside of my own field. I'm also amazed at how different the admissions process is for various fields. I never knew that anyone in any field cared about the general GRE (here we take it as a formality... unless you flunk it, no one cares about anything other than the subject GRE). I also didn't know that interviews were required in a lot of fields. I'm learning a lot :P

And @piglet33 - I'm with you 100%. The wind chill today is -22F (-30C) and even though it's a holiday (= no class), we still have a research meeting so I need to drag myself out of bed as well :(

Edited by Pink Fuzzy Bunny

It's only going to get up to 64 here today.... I think I might have to construct an igloo to die in. Perhaps the 70 degree weather for the next few days will melt it a little ;)

@Pink Fuzzy Bunny okay, I am no where near that cold!! We're at -4C (24F) and that's far cold enough for me right now. @sjoh197 I'd be envious but I've lived that life! I did miss the snow (although I love to complain about it when it's here).

Also interesting about the subject GRE and general GRE, in my field there is no subject GRE so we could never focus on it. Instead, letters of recommendation and research experience seem to be the most heavily weighted, followed by your GRE and GPA (evaluated together) from what I could piece together from different departments.

It's great getting to know others feeling this frustrated/neurotic about applications because as supportive as my friends in real life are, not one of them is going through this process. I'm rooting for every one of you (we're in different disciplines so YAY no competition) to get your grad school dreams come true. 

Also, I really should get a holiday calendar for the US - there's SO many holidays that are so different! 

Edited by piglet33

8 hours ago, piglet33 said:

@raaawr I've applied for kinesiology/biomechanics PhDs, with a focus on knees. that seems a broad focus, but I'm interested in the injury mechanisms (less so), the surgery (including materials used and techniques to minimise healing time) and the post-operative process. I'd love work my up and become a head honcho in a department (before I have to retire for it taking so long to get there lol), but I'm really goaling for professorship, with a side business of property flipping and elite athlete consultancy. That's the dream! 

I only applied to 4 schools and I've heard something from 3 (in terms of application materials not acceptances). The 4th I think is a bizarre process. You apply, then you contact the professor you want to work with, then once they respond the committee will look at your application. I have heard nothing from the professors there, and I'm annoyed at wasting the $75. It was a new condition they put in for Fall 2016 applications and I don't like it! 

@gingin6789 so glad you had a relaxed, but full of love wedding! Once again, congratulations (from one internet stranger-friend to another). 

Thank you, piglet! 

Coincidental story: my sister's boyfriend went to Penn State for Kinesiology! I know you're applying there, too! Sis' bf got his bachelor's there, not his PhD, but cool to know you two are taking similar paths ? I hope you get accepted! 

PS, it's 17 degrees F today. Coldest it's been all winter! 

Edited by gingin6789

@gingin6789 no way! It's my top choice, but it's so competitive.  One of my professors here got his PhD from PSU, and one of the lecturers there got his PhD from my current department and one of the current PhD students graduated from my programme before going there so there's a large link for two universities on different continents! Hoping that will swing in my favour.

1 minute ago, piglet33 said:

@gingin6789 no way! It's my top choice, but it's so competitive.  One of my professors here got his PhD from PSU, and one of the lecturers there got his PhD from my current department and one of the current PhD students graduated from my programme before going there so there's a large link for two universities on different continents! Hoping that will swing in my favour.

Oh I think that established link will, at best, swing in your favor. it's a cool connection nonetheless, especially considering you're in the UK, if I remember correctly! So that's awesome :-)

2 minutes ago, sjoh197 said:

My program doesn't even begin responding until mid-march (if the results page is to be believed.) These other forums are the only thing keeping me sane right now. 

The wait is so horrible!! My schools are totally spread out with regards to when they respond so it's very frustrating.

My advice, try to find something to take your mind off it all! 

and @gingin6789 thanks! I'm overthinking so much...evidently!!! 

32 minutes ago, rhombusbombus said:

Just got invited to Penn State's recruitment weekend!

I was getting worried bc it's in 2 weeks and it seemed a bit late to send out invitations.

I feel like everything is falling into place!

Congrats!!

I just rolled out of bed (sleeping in for the holiday), refreshed this page, saw this.....then almost immediately got my own acceptance call from Penn State! 

2 hours ago, anthrostudentcyn said:

guyss this week we could be hearing stuff! who knows!

Oh, I hope so. I'm starting to feel a little batty, and the deadline for my program was only this past Friday!

The program is somewhat new, and there are only a couple of entries on the results page. They heard back in late February. Another month of roller coaster emotions -- one minute I feel really confident, the next I'm nervous that my low GRE score will keep me out. 

On 1/16/2016 at 5:24 AM, gingin6789 said:

But it's all good, cause I'm getting married today. On the topic of thread, there will be pink Moscato, champagne, and beer. 

It'll be the happiest day of my life, so screw dreams and anxiety, especially ones about my dress falling apart! 

How was your big day? Congrats!

8 minutes ago, med latte said:

How was your big day? Congrats!

It was SO good! We had a small ceremony where we invited our immediate families, the folks we consider our bridal party, and they were allowed to bring their significant other if they wanted. All in all, only about 18 people. 

It was so exciting, and virtually nothing went wrong! When my husband and I kissed for the first time as husband and wife, some of my lipstick got on his lips though, so we started laughing at the "altar." Except no one else could see it but us, so everyone thought we were just randomly laughing. That's so us though.

Then we all went back to his (our?) apartment for hors d'oeuvres. Even though there was only 18 people or so, I still was overwhelmed by the attention paid to us during the day, and I was unable to process people's sentences by the end of the day! My father-in-law said something to me and it took me a solid 10 seconds to understand what he had just said.

After everyone left, my husband and I celebrated with dinner at a nice Belgian restaurant where I enjoyed some tasty salmon and a delicious quad Belgian ale! 

Then we finished watching the new season of Parks and Rec on Netflix and went to bed.

So, it was basically the perfect day!!

Now, he's back at work and I'm back to work building data sets. New semester starts next week for me!

Edited by gingin6789