WINE, WAIT, AND WHINE THREAD

Dr. Brains

"Quiero que todos los tacos" is "I want so that all the tacos"—it's an incomplete/wrong sentence, and it's pretty funny! "Que" there works as a "that" of purpose, so if you want to say "I want all the tacos," it would instead be "quiero todos los tacos." That said, I'm not familiar with native Spanish-speakers using "all the" for emphasis like we do in English, although my Spanish experience was long enough ago that that's not authoritative. (For an English example of that emphasis: "how much beer do you want?" "all the beer!" = "a lot of beer.") So even with "quiero todos los tacos" I think you'd have to pretty literally be looking at like a food cart with three tacos or something and trying to order all three of them for it to make sense. 

I have always said that you can travel anywhere in the world if you learn five words in the local language: "please," "thank you," "that one," "yes," and "beer"...but I might have to update that list to include tacos!

33 minutes ago, 123hardasABC said:

Even though I'm pursuing a PhD in medical sciences, I get raised eyebrows. People question why I didn't just apply to medical school because MDs make X more than PhDs do. You just gotta do you. People are gonna put you down regardless of your choices.

as someone who thought I wanted to do med school before and am now going for a PhD, the reactions to my change in plans are pretty awful. It's ridiculous how much of people's thoughts about career revolves around money..obviously, you need to make enough to live comfortably, but if I hate what I'm doing then what's the point?

I think a lot of the stigma about PhDs and academia is that many people simply don't understand it. They hated school, partied through uni and don't thrive off the academic challenge. Additionally, their experiences of academia come from lectures, and occasionally research, and that doesn't even show the half of it! Whereas occupations like doctors, lawyers, accountants, office jobs etc are known quantities, but not everyone has experienced it, and so potentially project their own view on the professions, and of course the monetary aspect cannot be ignored. I just think so many people hated school, and can't seem to understand why you'd want to stay in "school" for the rest of your life. Trying to explain that it's nothing like undergrad or high school is almost fruitless

5 minutes ago, piglet33 said:

I think a lot of the stigma about PhDs and academia is that many people simply don't understand it. They hated school, partied through uni and don't thrive off the academic challenge. Additionally, their experiences of academia come from lectures, and occasionally research, and that doesn't even show the half of it! Whereas occupations like doctors, lawyers, accountants, office jobs etc are known quantities, but not everyone has experienced it, and so potentially project their own view on the professions, and of course the monetary aspect cannot be ignored. I just think so many people hated school, and can't seem to understand why you'd want to stay in "school" for the rest of your life. Trying to explain that it's nothing like undergrad or high school is almost fruitless

yeah, that's a really good point actually. 

10 minutes ago, piglet33 said:

Whereas occupations like doctors, lawyers, accountants, office jobs etc are known quantities, but not everyone has experienced it, and so potentially project their own view on the professions, and of course the monetary aspect cannot be ignored. 

It's so funny, because my father never went to college and ended up quite wealthy in my adult years.... and I have lawyer friends who are $100,000 in debt to pay back and are still living under this cloud. Certain jobs don't guarantee happiness and certain career paths don't guarantee success. I just wish more people would do what they enjoy (within reason) without worrying about keeping up with the Joneses.

17 minutes ago, sjoh197 said:

Certain jobs don't guarantee happiness and certain career paths don't guarantee success. 

This so much this!!! My dad is successful in his career, he has an excellent small business that has a high profit turnover and he takes home a decent amount each month, but is miserable as anything. He tried to push his mech eng agenda on me and I knew I wouldn't be happy going down that path. After many difficult arguments and decisions, I think he's finally accepted my career path as "mechanical engineering of humans" which it kinda is! 

My motto is "you do you, as long as you're not hurting anyone". I also use "learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow" (actually it's one of my tattoos).  I think so many people just need to follow their guts, their hearts, acknowledge and learn from past mistakes and stay optimistic for the future. Who cares what others think?! 

I was pushed into engineering because I was "good at math" and a girl. I enjoyed math but didn't want to pursue a career path in it. I was MISERABLE the first year or so of college as a STEM major. Told my parents I wanted to switch to psychology and they told me I was "quitting because it was hard". If something is going to be hard and stress me out often (like a PhD will no doubt), I better enjoy it! I'm so much happier now. 

@raaawr My priority is Boulder... but with a standard offer I don't know that I'd be able to afford to live there :(

I'm honestly surprised that some of you have parents that are less than supportive. I'd be curious to see how parents' education level affects their opinion of their kid getting a PhD, you know? Neither of my parents graduated high school and they both acknowledge that I should do whatever the hell I want with my life, as long as they aren't paying for it :P As long as I pop out a kid somewhere along the way, they're pretty supportive.

I'm a bit bored, so I'd dug up the historically-reported times which people received acceptance letters to programs I applied to. This will be a dry post. I'm not deluded to think it will not be. ;)

1. Cornell - Appears to be late Feb. to early March.
  2. RPI - Looks like responses are anywhere in Feb. and up to early March. 
  3. Bowling Green - Late Feb., which is inline with what I've been told by the program.
  4. OU - Early to mid Feb.

Guess I have a while to wait a while. I'm not necessarily stressed about my responses, but that doesn't mean I want to wait a month or more. Ergh.

Edited by Neist
Typos.

50 minutes ago, Neist said:

I'm a bit bored, so I'd dug up the historically-reported times which people received acceptance letters to programs I applied to. This will be a dry post. I'm not deluded to think it will not be. ;)

1. Cornell - Appears to be late Feb. to early March.
  2. RPI - Looks like responses are anywhere in Feb. and up to early March. 
  3. Bowling Green - Late Feb., which is inline with what I've been told by the program.
  4. OU - Early to mid Feb.

Guess I have a while to wait a while. I'm not necessarily stressed about my responses, but that doesn't mean I want to wait a month or more. Ergh.

Oh, I also did this. I'm glad to see I'm not the only crazy one :P

Most of my programs (except for the ones I've been accepted to, who historically send out acceptances early in my field) don't send out decisions until mid-February, like yours. But also consider this... I've been also checking another physics-specific forum (physicsgre.com) and a lot of people have gotten acceptances from places who, according to the results here, haven't made a move yet. So I really think that the sample size of people posting their results here on gradcafe is much smaller than you imagine... so don't be so anxious - I'd say you could hear back any day now.

3 minutes ago, Pink Fuzzy Bunny said:

Oh, I also did this. I'm glad to see I'm not the only crazy one :P

Me too...I put it into a spreadsheet including the range of dates (first acceptance - last acceptance, expected rejection dates), notification type, plus area code of the school...in case they call. :)

No, I'm not on edge at all. :)

6 minutes ago, nevermind said:

Me too...I put it into a spreadsheet including the range of dates (first acceptance - last acceptance, expected rejection dates), notification type, plus area code of the school...in case they call. :)

Omg I made a spreadsheet and put the time windows and dates into my calendar too XD it's like I've found my own kind here at grad cafe! 

16 minutes ago, nevermind said:

WOW! I'm seriously impressed.

The area code thing really got me yesterday. I got a phone call from my current town... thought it was a friend whose number I didn't have. Boom... professor from a great university nearby :(

Edited by Pink Fuzzy Bunny

54 minutes ago, Pink Fuzzy Bunny said:

I'm honestly surprised that some of you have parents that are less than supportive. I'd be curious to see how parents' education level affects their opinion of their kid getting a PhD, you know? Neither of my parents graduated high school and they both acknowledge that I should do whatever the hell I want with my life, as long as they aren't paying for it :P As long as I pop out a kid somewhere along the way, they're pretty supportive.

Neither of my parents are educated. They came from poor, rural families in China, and were schoolchildren when Mao was still around. 

My mother is very (very, very, very) supportive. She recognizes that times have changed and hard work alone sometimes isn't enough nowadays. She's unconditionally supportive, both emotionally and financially. My dad...not so much. He's not the proudest father since I'm 25, have been in school for nearly 20 years, and still don't have a "real job." As for the popping out kids part, he disapproves that I live with my boyfriend (premarital, and such) so I ain't exactly Daddy's Little Girl right now.... :|

@123hardasABC

Your parents sound quite similar to mine. Also very financially and emotionally supportive (though fortunately I don't need much of the former). But if I were to move in with my boyfriend, I'd be very surprised if they ever spoke to me again. They're great though :P

Just remember, it's your journey not his. And one day you will have a real job, and you will be a million times happier :D

On January 18, 2016 at 2:36 PM, raaawr said:

@tmh2890I feel the same. There are days when I feel like I might just be able to make it but then the next moment I'll feel like I'm so dumb there's no way they're accepting me. It's going to be an intense few months for our emotions. lol

@raaawr I keep having this urge to email people and ask like you can with a job interview or something, but then I remember that's not how this works.. and then I get sad again haha. Why is academia such a mysterious place??

1 hour ago, Pink Fuzzy Bunny said:

To be fair, I assume most of us are in our twenties. I think your twenties is the time where you aren't entirely supportive of your OWN personal decisions :P

This resonates pretty true right now. I wanted a second serving of pasta for dinner even though I knew I was going to feel too full and regret it. 

(I did regret it, btw)

27 minutes ago, 123hardasABC said:

This resonates pretty true right now. I wanted a second serving of pasta for dinner even though I knew I was going to feel too full and regret it. 

(I did regret it, btw)

#YOLO

On a side note @nevermind... doesn't that magical list of when places historically accept/reject people sort of get depressing/make you anxious? I thought it was a great idea so I started to make mine, but then I realized that if I get an e-mail during "acceptance week" and it's a rejection, I'll just feel that much worse, you know?

Edited by Pink Fuzzy Bunny

Does anyone feel bad going on expense paid for recruitment weekends to other schools when they have a clear #1?

I feel like im taking advantage of the schools, but then i remind myself that theyre doing it for a lot of people and something in that visit could change my whole school hierarchy. 

Right?

3 minutes ago, rhombusbombus said:

Does anyone feel bad going on expense paid for recruitment weekends to other schools when they have a clear #1?

I feel like im taking advantage of the schools, but then i remind myself that theyre doing it for a lot of people and something in that visit could change my whole school hierarchy. 

Right?

I'm struggling with this issue right now. I got an invite to Seattle and I'm not particularly attached to the school... but an all-expenses paid trip across the country? Hmm....

In my opinion, you shouldn't feel bad. They know that most people they invite won't attend.