WINE, WAIT, AND WHINE THREAD

Dr. Brains

It's interesting seeing the spread of ages on here. I'm in a similar position to some of you I think, I'll be starting my PhD (provided I get in somewhere) at 24, my partner is gunna be 29 this year (crap, when did he start getting that old?) and everyone keeps asking us when we're going to be getting married. Thing is we've been together 5 years, and we've been apart for 4 of them (interspersed with weeks here and there). We've talked about it and said we actually need to be in the same country for a little bit before we think about truly settling down together, but both feel it'll be somewhere during my PhD that it happens! 

@raaawr lol.... I am a measly 22, but good god I feel like a senior citizen on the inside anymore. 

Its funny thinking that many of the people we are friends with now were in college when I was at home crying because Mufasa died and Simba had to go live in the Jungle. 

@anthrostudentcynlol! at 27 I still feel like I'm in my early 20s and I don't feel like I'm in the age for marriage either although society dictates that I'm supposed to be ready for it now. lol! On some days I feel like I can't even "adult" properly and question how most of my high school classmates are already on their 2nd babies or engaged or married when I can't even figure out what I'm doing with my life. lol. 

@raaawr Any time! I've done a lot of theater stuff, so I'm pretty used to pretending not to be nervous when actually I'm shaking all over haha. I feel you on the mind racing and being unable to think of basic words thing, though...I'm teaching English abroad, and if I'm stressed or flustered I'll forget the word for really basic things in Spanish/Catalan, or mix up a bunch of different languages, and nobody understands, and that makes me more stressed, and then I get so flustered, I forget how to say everything ever in all the languages. It gets embarrassing sometimes haha.

@piglet33ohhh! LDR is hard but I'm sure you can make it work as long as you both trust each other completely :)

@sjoh197are you going straight from undergrad to grad school? I definitely think you're wise beyond your years! :) I'm sure during the time you were crying about mufasa, I was crying just about the same time as you. lol! Funny though most of my friends right now are around 22/23. I still feel so young. haha!

I didnt get my license until i was 22. So ive only been driving for 3 years!

Ive already told my parents not to expect kids from me. My brother has 2 and my sister has 3, thats enough for the family to share. 

My policy on kids is that they have to be returnable!

@raaawr I am going from Bs to PhD on the advice of my POI, as it is where I eventually want to end up. I already graduated back in august and am having a gap year. Unfortunately oil is so down in Houston that getting an internship or job has been pretty much impossible. 

2 minutes ago, rhombusbombus said:

My policy on kids is that they have to be returnable!

I love this... I will have to keep it and repeat it to family on a regular basis. 

@rosaliyes! even the most basic words and sentences just aren't coming out of my mouth during interviews. I will have a really good idea in my mind and then I will blabber incoherent nonsense out of my mouth. lol! It has cost me quite a few job interviews. lol! that's why i'm so worried about this interview if I ever get one. It's most likely going to be a skype interview so I enlisted the help of my friend, we'll skype and he can ask me interview questions so I can practice and try to at least not muddle my name. lol!

speaking of nervous interviews and Ben Wyatt....this is 100% me in all interview situations:

giphy.gif

also, @raaawr, I totally feel you about the nervous swiveling. I had to give a video interview once about a campus event I was participating in....and they gave me a swivel chair. Between takes, I'd notice I was swiveling, make a conscious effort to keep myself from doing so, then, as soon as they started asking me questions, would notice I was doing it again. For any skype interviews going forward, I plan on using a non-spinny chair, haha.

Edited by haltheincandescent

21 minutes ago, 123hardasABC said:

I also only applied to 4. Most people in the biology thread applied to at least 7 or 8...so that's really terrifying. But I'm at that point in my life where, while I'm still not done with my education, I'm settling down. I'm getting old; I can't be chasing diplomas from coast to coast like I used to.

I'm only 23, so I'm not necessarily looking to settle down, but it'd be nice if my boyfriend didn't have to relocate so I can get my PhD. We're doing the long distance thing for this year, and it's not awesome, so I applied to places mainly on the East Coast of the US where I knew he'd be able to find a job. It happens that those places also have kickass PhD programs in comparative lit haha.

@raaawr It's not always an option... but for my program Bs are welcome to apply for PhD. You have to make up the credit hours of an Ms though.... so instead of the usual 24 credit hours... you have to complete the entire 54. It's pretty much just an Ms and PhD rolled into one... kind of, sort of... a little. 

@haltheincandescentahhh! swiveling!! I was thinking if I used the right word. Swiveling is the correct term. lol! I tried to stop myself as well when I realized I was doing it but I couldn't. I felt like I was child lost in the corporate world. lol! I am definitely getting a non-swivel chair as well for a skype interview. haha!

@raaawrI'm going from BS/BA to PhD too. For specifically what I want to do, an MA is not required and would be a waste. about half incoming students have a bachelors, half have a masters. generally can finish in the same amount of time (I specifically asked a POI at one school if there was any difference in length to completion, POI said no)

Edited by artsy16

@sjoh197ohhhh!! It sounds like a heavy course but it sounds awesome to get a PhD early in your career and at a young age :) are you planning on becoming a professor afterwards?

@rosaliHopefully I do better at it than real life interviews. I just hope my internet doesn't fail me. lol!

On a side note, what does POI mean? I've been seeing it all over the forums but never really sure what it means. lol

Edited by raaawr

@raaawr It is certainly a possibility, although I would be perfectly happy in a research lab. I love working in a research lab. But... I think I will be better able to decide whether I should remain in academia during my PhD. I do like academia quite a bit, but sometimes the politics can be overwhelming. 

ohhhhh!!! that makes sense now! thanks! lol! my MFA track is on Fashion Design so I'm not really well versed on the research and professorship aspect of PhD applicants so I get a little lost in that regard. My reason for applying for an MFA is to develop my skills and become a better designer and expand my horizon. lol. Although, I wouldn't mind teaching at my undergrad alma mater in the future once I get over my public speaking nervousness. lol

Edited by raaawr

Wow... 3 pages of new thread in one day? Come on guys :P

I'm really glad that no one (that I know of) in this thread is in the same field as me. I love rooting for you guys and hearing about your acceptances when your dreams get fulfilled :) But, like someone else said, if we were in the same field, I would secretly be hoping that the universe stomps on your head. <3

I wish I had more up votes left to give cause that gif posted earlier of "Ben Wyatt, human disaster" rules my world! 

Speaking of interviews, someone just posted that they got an interview for another program I applied to... 

Completely totally unrelated note, clearly: Pink Moscato, anyone? I'm not nervous at all!