Education Interview Thread

EdNeuroGrl

1 hour ago, morifol said:

I have just had interview with Michigan Ann Arbor. It was extremely informal and relaxed, we just chatted about our research, ideas, thoughts. Is that a good sign or a bad sign?!

Definitely a good sign.  UofM is a laid back kind of atmosphere so I'm not surprised your interview was informal and relaxed.  If you felt comfortable and like you connected on ideas you should feel positive.  Good luck!  I love Ann Arbor!

14 minutes ago, Escussel said:

Definitely a good sign.  UofM is a laid back kind of atmosphere so I'm not surprised your interview was informal and relaxed.  If you felt comfortable and like you connected on ideas you should feel positive.  Good luck!  I love Ann Arbor!

Thank you! Now I am going not to think about that for a while for my own sake. :) I will contact you to talk about AA once I know the results.

2 hours ago, morifol said:

I have just had interview with Michigan Ann Arbor. It was extremely informal and relaxed, we just chatted about our research, ideas, thoughts. Is that a good sign or a bad sign?!

Sounds like a good sign to me! 

25 minutes ago, TheMonkeyOnMyBack said:

Does it seem like there's not a lot of activity going in the education room on this form? There seems to be only like four or five results everyday when some programs are getting so many.

I'm just finding it hard to be patient I guess *sigh 

The value of patience as a virtue is definitely lost on those who are waiting for a life-defining decision! I am going to watch The Lake House tonight - really helps with waiting. The school that interviewed me said I would know the results next week. Next. Week. (*hyperventilating. again!).

How did your interviews go?

I am going to an amazing production so at least for today I am ok.

I had one interview all ready and it was short like 45 minutes from door to door. It was a good conversation and I think it went well but until I get the final word..... The other one is the week after next and I am super excited about it!

Is getting interviewed really a good sign? I got interviewed by two schools in early December but haven't yet heard from them. And, it seems that one of them has started to send acceptance offers. Should I contact the admissions office? The interviews went well (as far as I guess), I frequently discussed with POI, received emails asking about scholarships I have. Waiting is killing me. 

Edited by eduphd

8 hours ago, eduphd said:

Is getting interviewed really a good sign? I got interviewed by two schools in early December but haven't yet heard from them. And, it seems that one of them has started to send acceptance offers. Should I contact the admissions office? The interviews went well (as far as I guess), I frequently discussed with POI, received emails asking about scholarships I have. Waiting is killing me. 

Hey, I think an interview is a great sign. but how good of a sign is dependent on the program, it could be anything from almost a guarantee to a 1 in 3 chance.

Good Luck!

I have an interview at UT - Austin on Saturday, but it's for their Principalship Program- not the Ph.D. It seems like most of y'all are talking about Ph.D. interviews. Anyways, good luck!

Edited by graciasadios

12 hours ago, TheMonkeyOnMyBack said:

Hey, I think an interview is a great sign. but how good of a sign is dependent on the program, it could be anything from almost a guarantee to a 1 in 3 chance.

Good Luck!

Thank you! Feeling glad to know that it is at least a good sign. Fingers crossed. 

So I came across this language for thank you emails after interviews and thought I would share I am adding a short personalized paragraph in the middle. 

Good morning,

Thank you very much for the opportunity to interview for a position in your graduate program. I enjoyed speaking with you, touring your lovely building, and the opportunity to learn more about your program. I am very interested in your school and the opportunity to join your program. This program feels like a very good match between my skills and experience and the mission of this school.

Again, thank you for considering me for this wonderful opportunity. Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns or need more information. I look forward to hearing from you.

Best,

1 hour ago, TheMonkeyOnMyBack said:

So I came across this language for thank you emails after interviews and thought I would share I am adding a short personalized paragraph in the middle. 

Good morning,

Thank you very much for the opportunity to interview for a position in your graduate program. I enjoyed speaking with you, touring your lovely building, and the opportunity to learn more about your program. I am very interested in your school and the opportunity to join your program. This program feels like a very good match between my skills and experience and the mission of this school.

Again, thank you for considering me for this wonderful opportunity. Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns or need more information. I look forward to hearing from you.

Best,

I think it's a bit too long, actually... It doesn't really say anything, and it's lengthy.

4 hours ago, TheMonkeyOnMyBack said:

Good morning,

Best,

I think it is overly canned. I think you should have it 100% to the point and directed at the person you are thanking. Talk about specific things you did and things that stood out about the interview that will help reinforce what you like about them and what they should like about you.

Just my opinion.

7 hours ago, morifol said:

I think it's a bit too long, actually... It doesn't really say anything, and it's lengthy.

I agree that it's way too generic and too long.  I would immediately forget whoever sent me this email.  One quick reference to something unique or special that you talked about in the interview, thank you, goodbye!

hey y'all, new to this thread and def new to this PhD app process. Are you supposed to get invited to interviews for PhD in Education programs? I wasn't sure whether this was a part of the process or not, since I never found much info via the schools' websites. Sucks to say, I haven't heard back re: interviews yet. And I got rejected from one of my top choices earlier this week too...sigh. 

Is it necessary to write a thank you email after your interview. I mean, if you and the interviewer spend the last few minutes saying your "thank you's", it feels overly business-y to me to go for a post-interview email. You've spent 15+ minutes making impressions of one another, what's an email going to do to help here?

Edited by juanmesh

@j.rona It depends on which area of education you're applying to. For example, I'm doing higher ed and most programs don't interview/will interview to you only determine funding, not admittance to a program. However, in ed psych, I've heard of interviews happening more as a part of the admissions process. Hope that helps!

Hey everyone!

I recently got invited for an interview at Teachers College--my top choice! It's for the doctoral program in Social Studies ed.  Has anyone else gotten an interview? Or know how they use interviews (for funding, interviewing shortlisted students, or do all students receive an interview)? I understand different programs use them for different reasons and the likelyhood of acceptance varies, but any insight would be great!