Education Interview Thread

EdNeuroGrl

Hi all,

Some of the other areas have interview threads going already. Basically, if you get an invitation to do an interview you post here with the university/program, the type of interview, and the topic/type of program you applied to, along with any other details you want to share. :-)

It may be that education interview invites go out much later than the psychology and neuroscience ones do (I've applied to psych, neuro, and education programs).

So far I've gotten an unofficial phone interview at Georgetown's Psychology Department's lifespan cognitive neuroscience program and the PI told me to expect an official in-person interview invitation from the university in the near future.

However, I still haven't heard anything from any of the Education programs I applied to.

I have read the Penn GSE threads from the past few years and it seems like PhD interview invites went out in mid-January and EdD invites went out at the end of the month. Both interview weekends were in February in the past few years.

I'm on pins and needles!

Since we are sharing information I received  this from Arizona State  " Your application is complete and will be reviewed by faculty in mid-January. Top applicants will be notified in late January, and subsequently invited to visit the campus on Feb. 18-19th for a series of interviews and presentations with faculty and current students. We anticipate making offers of admission by March 1st. "

Just got an official interview invite to Georgetown's interview weekend, it is (as mentioned above) for their Psych Department Human Lifespan Development program. 2 possible dates for their in person interviews: Feb 18 &19 or Feb 25 & 26.

It does seem from initial responses that Education rolls out their interviews about 2 weeks later than Psychology or Neuroscience, so to all who have heard nothing yet... Now is NOT the time to be worried. :-)

I"m getting advice from one of my mentors for specifics and what to do and what to avoid doing in a specific behavior sense. I tend to be a bit awkward and overly direct so I am fortunate to have someone to specifically help me there.

In a more broad sense, I am doing what I can to write questions of my own I want to know about the place I'm interviewing at. Like how the other grad students handle cost of living, what the faculty is like and how well integrated and collaborative the departments are.

I also have in mind that for the one interview already have, it may be mostly a make sure everyone gets along measure. I've had extensive conversations with everyone who I would be working with over the phone, so Ialready have a pretty good comfort level. We have discussed the field in a broad philosophical context as well as where specific research lines should/could go. 

I suspect I will also be getting at least one more interview and with them, I expect it will be a really close call should it come down to me getting offers from both. With this particular challenge in mind, I've been thinking about questions that would help me decide between one or the other. In this case, this is where department support, social atmosphere, mentoring philosophy, lab group dynamics, etc become very important...

I don't know if that is particularly helpful, but it is how I am approaching the problem.

7 minutes ago, morifol said:

Do you mind me asking when was the deadline?

Sure--I believe it was Dec. 1. However, I am certain that each department, and possibly even each concentration, is on its own timeline with regard to the review/invitation process.

Just now, samsonite2pv said:

Sure--I believe it was Dec. 1. However, I am certain that each department, and possibly even each concentration, is on its own timeline with regard to the review/invitation process.

Hope so :). Anxiously waiting. :)

15 minutes ago, samsonite2pv said:

Forgot to ask one more thing - how did you get an interview invite? By e-mail? I got an e-mail from them yesterday stating that they were still reviewing my application.

Just now, morifol said:

Forgot to ask one more thing - how did you get an interview invite? By e-mail? I got an e-mail from them yesterday stating that they were still reviewing my application.

Yes; it was an email from my POI. The interviews aren't until Feb 12-14, so there's still plenty of time for invitations to go out. :) I'm sure many more will go out in the coming weeks. Best wishes!

46 minutes ago, samsonite2pv said:

Yes; it was an email from my POI. The interviews aren't until Feb 12-14, so there's still plenty of time for invitations to go out. :) I'm sure many more will go out in the coming weeks. Best wishes!

Thank you!

5 hours ago, samsonite2pv said:

Are they actual interviews? I got an email today as well, but it was phrased more as a "please come and visit!" kind of thing, as opposed to a formal interview... 

I was accepted to George Washington University's Higher Ed Administration program and was then invited to their admitted students day, during which you find out more about the program and, mainly, interview for assistantships.  The only thing is that this takes place on a Friday =\  Has anyone encountered another school doing something like this on a weekday?  I was under the impression that most schools did this on weekends, which would make it a lot more convenient!

3 hours ago, tedwards09 said:

Did you get into a Master's or Doctoral program? I applied to George Washington's EdD in Education Policy, now I'm nervous because I haven't heard back! 

No, do not be nervous! I'm sorry to have scared you! I applied to a Master's program :) I also applied very early (October).