Fall 2016 Acceptances, Interviews, and Rejections Thread

gingin6789

5 minutes ago, goofylemon said:

Note I see a Princeton acceptance reported on results page today named demography and social policy PhD. I assume it is not sociology.

Yeah, the population studies program (PhD in demography) is separate from sociology, although a lot of the faculty hold primary appointments in sociology, so I would expect that this means soc decisions are not far away.

On 2/1/2016 at 9:44 PM, mm3733 said:

Also received acceptance from Maryland. Looking forward to talking to you more @krispykreme and @JTM61!

Congratulations @mm3733!

I saw someone got an interview for Indiana University at Bloomington and now I'm a bit nervous because that's one of my top choices. Hoping to hear from them soon as well.

18 minutes ago, DaisyGamble said:

Anxiously awaiting news...

Congrats to the admits! 

Me toooo! Anxiously checking my email.. does anyone know if they sent all their acceptances together? Should we assume rejection by now?

4 minutes ago, jc2404 said:

Congrats to the admits! 

Me toooo! Anxiously checking my email.. does anyone know if they sent all their acceptances together? Should we assume rejection by now?

I think it's pretty early to assume rejection.  Most of the schools I applied to state that they make the bulk of their decisions in February (March in the case of Harvard).

Berkeley's FAQ has the following entry:

When are decisions made?
     Usually by the middle of February.

I'd say it's premature to worry in advance of their posted dates.

Regarding the crushing anxiety (which I absolutely share!), I've found guided meditations on youtube to be very helpful. :)

Congratulations to the admits! I hope all of us have received some positive news. And for those still waiting, don't lose hope until March passes.

UW-Madison folks, did you guys get any info about funding? Someone on the results board indicated that they got an RA position. And do you guys have any suggestions about reaching out to professors at this point?

2 minutes ago, Shamon said:

Congratulations to the admits! I hope all of us have received some positive news. And for those still waiting, don't lose hope until March passes.

UW-Madison folks, did you guys get any info about funding? Someone on the results board indicated that they got an RA position. And do you guys have any suggestions about reaching out to professors at this point?

I received an informal email from UW-Madison (it literally started " Please excuse this informal communication...") with very little specific information.  I am hoping the promised physical letter will come with more information regarding funding.

Further, my.wisc portal status is: "Your program has recommended you for admission. The Graduate School will be reviewing your file. Please refer to this page for updates." I wonder if funding decisions are made after the graduate school reviews the file.

While a first admittance was a HUGE relief, I find that I'm still nearly as anxious as I was a couple weeks ago!

Your letter sounds a lot like what I received @gordyn. I think you may be right about funding info being in the physical mail.

Haha, I hear you about being anxious. Strangely, each acceptance raises one's expectation and feeds into the anxiety. But at least the abysmal fear of having no where to go is not there anymore (I'm unemployed now).

@ShamonI received informal acceptances via phone or email, but those would be followed up by a more formal letter via email or via the application website. Hopefully, you won't have to wait for snail mail! Two of the programs I got accepted to told me specific funding amounts and info up front. Still waiting on funding info for one of the programs I got accepted to, but they said I'd learn of funding via email. 

3 minutes ago, Shamon said:

Thanks @gingin6789! Yes, snail mail in this day and age seems like such an outdated practice :P It's been about a week since I've received the informal letters. I'll have to wait and see.

I think they might still send a letter in the end, but if they do, hopefully you've already received the info by that point! So they didn't give you any indication of when you'll get more info? 

1 hour ago, jc2404 said:

Congrats to the admits! 

The last few years Berkeley has sent out acceptances (at least those posted on gradcafe) all within a few days and rejects anytime right afterwards to through mid February. That's historically, no knowing what they'll do this year. We're not rejected until we receive official word. I wish you the best!