Fall 2016 Acceptances, Interviews, and Rejections Thread

gingin6789

12 hours ago, krispykreme said:

Congrats to all PSU interview notices! I did not hear back and was wondering/desperately hoping...  is it possible, from past years, that not everyone gets interviewed but may still be admitted? 

I recently joined gradcafe but have been following (apparently the cool kids call it "lurking") the forum for a while. I am really grateful for this community bc I knew nothing before discovering gradcafe. My mediocre stats: 3.4 GPA, 161 V/ 159 Q. I do not come from a sociology background. For now, I have heard good news from Irvine, Davis, Ohio, Arizona and UMD-College Park. Rejected from Notre Dame and UT-Austin (will probably be rejected from PSU/ UCLA soon) but that's ok, I'll live... 

Congrats! I'll hopefully be seeing you at the UC Davis visitation day ;)

12 minutes ago, Social007 said:

Hi you guys, to those with the Penn state interviews when they asked you to set up a time, did the person respond? Not sure what is going on.. I was sent an email but never received a response back..

Hi!

I responded to her email about 4 seconds after she sent it, which is maybe why I got such a quick response. I remember her saying she had flexible daytime hours tomorrow, but less during the week. So maybe if she doesn't respond tomorrow it would be worth following up?

Also, it was a short call ~15 minutes, so scheduling it isn't too bad!

12 minutes ago, KLPLANTER said:

Based on your track record so far I think it's safe to say you can expect that.

Perhaps I was unclear. I did not mean to imply any inflated wish for my own success. I meant 'ups all around' referring to good news for everyone on the forum (though I like good news as much as the next person). :)

-- Received an email from Northeastern regarding a phone interview with a Professor this week (guess it is part of their decision making process). Only should be 15-20 minutes.

Those who have had these kinds of conversations before -- What should I expect?

Thanks in advance.

56 minutes ago, ConsciousSteph said:

-- Received an email from Northeastern regarding a phone interview with a Professor this week (guess it is part of their decision making process). Only should be 15-20 minutes.

Those who have had these kinds of conversations before -- What should I expect?

Thanks in advance.

AHHH! Since when does NEU hold interviews for Sociology?! I mean, CONGRATS!!! :) But the Harvard and NEU interviews are now making me very worried.

8 minutes ago, Shay825 said:

AHHH! Since when does NEU hold interviews for Sociology?! I mean, CONGRATS!!! :) But the Harvard and NEU interviews are now making me very worried.

The Harvard interview is just that one on January 22nd, right? I wouldn't worry too much. Sometimes idiosyncrasies like that happen in a cycle. If we see more interviews, then worry

1 minute ago, nowayjose said:

The Harvard interview is just that one on January 22nd, right? I wouldn't worry too much. Sometimes idiosyncrasies like that happen in a cycle. If we see more interviews, then worry

Yes, just that one. Thanks for the reassurance.

6 minutes ago, Shay825 said:

Yes, just that one. Thanks for the reassurance.

I wouldn't stress yet. For example, @gingin6789 received her interview invite for Rutgers more than a week after mine. Sometimes they just trickle slowly. Likely depends on the committee's schedule if they divide up the interviews! We've clearly seen the same with acceptances from a number of places this cycle too, with some folks receiving theirs quite a few days after others did...

28 minutes ago, Shay825 said:

Hi @Shay825 ! Thank you – but I wouldn't stress it. It was a pretty generic email and it does seem like depending on your area of interest, you will receive an email from a person in that cluster that is on the AdComm. I would imagine that these emails are definitely sent out at all different times/days.

I know you will be fine! You got this! :)

Just now, nowayjose said:

same. for all we know the lucky few have been notified and just don't post here. i mean, only like 2-3 people post acceptances in the survey each year. small #

I just found out one of my POIs I referenced in my SOP to Princeton has been poached elsewhere. Whoops. :\

9 minutes ago, nowayjose said:

same. for all we know the lucky few have been notified and just don't post here. i mean, only like 2-3 people post acceptances in the survey each year. small #

Yeah, could be. Does everyone else's Princeton application status just say "submitted"?

7 minutes ago, hazenyc said:

I just found out one of my POIs I referenced in my SOP to Princeton has been poached elsewhere. Whoops. :\

That was always one of my greatest fears when finding good faculty matches at schools!  Do you have other professors there who would be a good fit as well?  Now I'm paranoid that I need to go back and double check the employment status of my POIs at my schools:mellow:

1 minute ago, oedipus said:

Yeah, could be. Does everyone else's Princeton application status just say "submitted"?

Mine says ''submitted' .. It also says on applyweb: ' The Princeton University - Application for Admission to Graduate School is currently closed and will reopen in the Fall of 2014. ' WTG Pton for forgetting the past 2 years :P

2 minutes ago, reify_this said:

That was always one of my greatest fears when finding good faculty matches at schools!  Do you have other professors there who would be a good fit as well?  Now I'm paranoid that I need to go back and double check the employment status of my POIs at my schools:mellow:

Yes, still 2 other faculty that are fit, but this POI I wrote a whole paragraph about fit with.. at least they have gone to another place I've applied so will be a nice surprise if I get in there! 

1 minute ago, hazenyc said:

Yes, still 2 other faculty that are fit, but this POI I wrote a whole paragraph about fit with.. at least they have gone to another place I've applied so will be a nice surprise if I get in there! 

Oh man...well if he/she had to venture elsewhere, another school on your application list sounds like one of the best possible outcomes you could hope for!  (depending on how enthusiastic you feel about the new school that is)