Cross-Cultural Clinical Psychology: Professors? Programs?

Mobius777

Hey all! Newcomer around here. I'm a prospective grad student in clinical psychology, and I have a pretty strong application. I've developed an interest in a sub-field I didn't even know existed until a couple months ago: cross-cultural psychology. I am really interested in this area and have been researching it every chance I get, as well as reading a lot of anthropology. Specifically, I want to form a dissertation (and maybe even a career) on a clinical focus on this field, perhaps working with refugee populations, coping with culture shock, or international field work in psychology clinics.

I'm serving in the Peace Corps and still have another year to go, so I'm applying for the Fall 2017 year and have time left to research, choose schools, etc. That's what I was hoping for help with. Does anyone know of a school or a professor doing research in something even remotely like this field? I am very interested in the work of Dr. Jefferson Fish, for example, but unfortunately he retired ten years ago. I've been unable to find someone doing the kind of work I want to do in a city that I am willing to live in. (I'm flexible, but it has to be a pretty metropolitan area or near a metropolitan area, and if overseas than in an English-speaking program.)

Any point in the right direction would be very appreciated. And if you have any questions about the Peace Corps, feel free to ask!

• 1 month later...
  • 3 years later...

There are master's programs in Cultural Psychology at both the London School of Economics and University of Amsterdam (pretty sure Dutch universities always allow you to speak/write in English if you want).

(I'm going to try and go to the one in London in fall of 2021.)

Jose Soto- Penn State! https://psych.la.psu.edu/directory/jas95

I would also add that you should look into counseling psychology as well as that field has somewhat more of a focus on multicultural issues and social justice (typically, not always) than clinical psychology. When looking at cultural adjustment, you may find more potential advisers in counseling psych where you can still get that clinical focus. I'm similar in that I want to be a community psychologist with a clinical focus, and I was able to find that especially in clinical-community psychology and counseling psych programs! There are clinical psychologists who focus on these issues for sure, you'll just have to look a little harder :)

LOL edit #2, just realized this was posted in 2016 and this person is most likely already in a program ?

Edited by Justice4All