Admissions Blog: Hello and Predictions

jacbarcan

Just now, jjb919 said:

I wonder what the confidence level is for the Committee on Social Thought sending our their decisions this week.

Yea I've been wondering about that program, too. That would be my dream program, but for some reason I just lost hope about it and assumed they already accepted the few people they accept and didn't send out rejections yet. But I must also say: I have no basis for that assumption...I think I am just being down since I haven't been accepted anywhere. So hopefully we hear from them very soon! Good luck! 

Just now, SamStone said:

Yea I've been wondering about that program, too. That would be my dream program, but for some reason I just lost hope about it and assumed they already accepted the few people they accept and didn't send out rejections yet. But I must also say: I have no basis for that assumption...I think I am just being down since I haven't been accepted anywhere. So hopefully we hear from them very soon! Good luck! 

Nat had reached out and they were pretty vague, saying that they were nearing the final round of review and would let everyone know once that finished up. Also, on the results page someone posted and said:

wrote an email to admissions those waiting for PhD Social Sciences. Here's their response: "All applications are currently in final review;Official notification of decisions are made after the review of all applications and usually begins the last week of February or first week of March. All official decisions are sent by email" THE WAIT IS TORTURE!! :(

There was another post on the results page some time later that said the decisions would be out by March 15, but it was deleted soon after. So I really don't know what to think at this point. I just want to get it all over with already.

8 hours ago, Abendstern said:

You don't recall hearing that they do or don't send out rejections? Of course, some definitely do. But others seem to be silent despite sending out acceptances and waitlists.

I'm pretty sure I have not heard of PhD applicants never finding out whether they've been rejected. Plenty find out late in the process, of course.

42 minutes ago, maxhgns said:

I'm pretty sure I have not heard of PhD applicants never finding out whether they've been rejected. Plenty find out late in the process, of course.

This has absolutely happened in the past. I didn't ever hear from some schools the last time I applied out and have anecdotal evidence from other people with the same experience.

1 hour ago, maxhgns said:

I'm still waiting to hear from UCLA, and I'm a second year in a Ph.D. program.  I'm sure my rejection will be coming any day now.

Do we have much reason to believe that any department will hold off on their first round PhDs past this week? I'm obviously most interested in Princeton, but overall things seem to be finishing up.

Edited by gughok

Also curious about CUNY. They clearly haven't made their regular acceptances / WL release yet, because that's usually a lot of posts on the results pg. Any thoughts on when they'll be doing that? 

Michigan is on spring break right now, but I think a lot of staff are still here. Because I'm staff for the history department. And I'm here. I feel weird wandering through the philosophy department, though, since I applied to philosophy here.