Admissions Blog: Hello and Predictions

jacbarcan

Sorry for the double post, but I thought I'd share my prediction for McGill

In 2010 it was the 19th Feb (last Friday of Feb)
In 2011 there are no reported admits
In 2012 16-18 Feb (end of the second week of Feb)
In 2013 it was the 22nd Feb (last Friday of Feb)
In 2014 no reported admits
In 2015 it was the 25th Feb (last Wednesday of Feb)

Based on the fact that the last few years the admits have always been released in February (and in the last two years I have data for, in the last week of the month), then I predict that if we don't hear today, then probably middle of next week. 

So say I.

Interestingly, it turns out that asking departments flat out for an update is a terrible proxy for results. For instance, Nat asked Georgetown when they'd be releasing and they said two weeks, and then they released today. Brown said they'd release today but as far as anyone knows, they didn't (unless they did snail mail). UCSD said they don't do wait lists, but I personally know folks who are waitlisted there. So if even asking schools directly for information turns out to be an unreliable way of knowing what's going on, I can't conclude anything other than absolute skepticism. Sure, no information has ever been more important to me in my life. It will determine how my life will go in many ways, certainly for the immediate future, but for the long term future as well. So I know why people get so anxious; I certainly am. But I think all of our best tools of prognostication have failed and we should abandon all efforts. Just try to think about other stuff, and the information will come when it may. 

7 minutes ago, jacbarcan said:

I'm just going to go for it and say that I think they'll all come out tomorrow. :)

Hope springs eternal in the human breast;
Man never is, but always to be blessed:
The soul, uneasy and confined from home,
Rests and expatiates in a life to come.

1 hour ago, Cecinestpasunphilosophe said:

Hope springs eternal in the human breast;
Man never is, but always to be blessed:
The soul, uneasy and confined from home,
Rests and expatiates in a life to come.

But Och! I backward cast my e'e, 
On prospects drear! 
An' forward, tho' I canna see, 
I guess an' fear!

MIT pls. Someone, tell me something. Yale hasn't even bothered to tell me they don't want me.

We're pretty sure about the MIT prediction, right? I looked over the dates and they've never really released later than the equivalent of today. And Harvard usually releases by now, only last year they released tomorrow, hence the prediction?

47 minutes ago, gughok said:

MIT pls. Someone, tell me something. Yale hasn't even bothered to tell me they don't want me.

We're pretty sure about the MIT prediction, right? I looked over the dates and they've never really released later than the equivalent of today. And Harvard usually releases by now, only last year they released tomorrow, hence the prediction?

I'm also anxiously awaiting MIT and Harvard.  I hope they tell us something today.

I'm feeling really confident about MIT and Harvard. Like usual, they'll probably make calls around 5 or 6 EST (note I have no particular basis for the guess on time-- just trends from other departments this year.) 

I have no idea about Boston College. Very confused about that one. 

51 minutes ago, jacbarcan said:

I'm feeling really confident about MIT and Harvard. Like usual, they'll probably make calls around 5 or 6 EST (note I have no particular basis for the guess on time-- just trends from other departments this year.) 

I have no idea about Boston College. Very confused about that one. 

That's what I wanted to hear! Bring it on Harvard and MIT. 

If they don't call me by 7 I'll just drop by and press my nose against the department door. I'm literally within walking distance of both. 

Edited by philosophe

14 minutes ago, philosophe said:

That's what I wanted to hear! Bring it on Harvard and MIT. 

If they don't call me by 7 I'll just literally drop by and press my nose against the department door. I'm literally within walking distance of both. 

784cc3f5e172e9dc19e57e8138ce2003.jpg 

SO many crickets. I had a strange amount of faith in the MIT prediction for some reason.  It's important to remember in this trying time that all committee work is slow and sucks (for everyone involved). I don't think anything resembling reasonable processes should be expected. C'est la vie. Glad all I have to do right now is sit around and wait for responses instead of sit on a committee and try to come to a consensus on what those responses should be.