Admissions Blog: Hello and Predictions

jacbarcan

2 hours ago, SamStone said:

Okay, Riverside. Today is your day, right?! (Please?)

2 hours ago, philstudent1992 said:

Fun fact: Over the past 7 years, UCR has released on every day of the week except Sunday. They have, however, released twice on a Friday.

I therefore prognosticate that they will release tomorrow.

I'm rooting for UCR today, too! Although it is good to know that they are sporadic when it comes to days of the week they release on. For some reason I thought they had a history of releasing on Thursdays.

So, I already got a response. My friend said that he doesn't know anything and really isn't in too much contact with anyone in the HPS program, but if he runs into the two people he does know he'll ask. 

He also mentioned that in the past they accept everyone at once. 

Hope this wasn't a completely useless response and I'll keep you updated if he tell me anything. 

3 hours ago, maxhgns said:

FWIW, I know that prospectives are starting to visit the campus. They do tend to dig into their waitlist, though, so don't lose hope!

At this point I've lost all hope.. If something nice happens, great. I doubt it though.

My backup plan is an Australian PhD program, and visiting a few places I'm the US during. It'll be OK. 

I'll get my PhD like 2 years sooner

9 hours ago, Siegfried42 said:

Hey @jacbarcan - is there any reason in particular you picked today for Michigan? I looked through the results page and it looks like they released March the last two years, right?

8 hours ago, personagrata said:

Siegfried, I think @philosophe posted that an "inside" source had info about when the ad comm will meet.  

Nah, I posted about MIT. Wish I had info on Michigan, hopefully soon! 

37 minutes ago, jacbarcan said:

UT-Austin. Probably will come out Monday or Tuesday. (Maybe even this weekend, but in the last four years there haven't been any releases from them on the weekend.)

UMass-Amherst. Unpredictable. Has come out on M10 in the past. 

UMass says they will have decisions by March 4!

Hi all,

I know there's not an official prediction for the NSSR, but I poked around a bit and thought I'd post some general information for others who might be waiting for word.

On the NSSR admissions website, it's indicated that responses will arrive via postal mail in "mid-March". A glance at the last few years' worth of survey material looks a bit more spread out, with responses to PhD and MA applicants alike coming anywhere between March 7 and March 27. In other words, when the NSSR finally gets around to sending out responses, it would be completely reasonably to hold out hope on an acceptance well into the last week of March, even if it seems as though people are hearing before you.

Edited by bechkafish

On February 25, 2016 at 10:20 AM, philstudent1992 said:

Fun fact: Over the past 7 years, UCR has released on every day of the week except Sunday. They have, however, released twice on a Friday.

I therefore prognosticate that they will release tomorrow.

If that UCR post is real, then maybe they read this and decided to wait until Sunday to release :P

Rutgers is almost definitely coming out this week, so long as last week counts as "the last week of February". The alternative is they decided to let this coming week count as the last because it starts on the last day of February, but that would be positing an inordinate amount of procrastination even for an admissions committee.

Context: my advisor contacted a friend of hers at Rutgers who said they would be making decisions "the last week of February" and releasing them the subsequent week.

10 hours ago, Abendstern said:

Does anybody know offhand which schools typically fail to send out rejections? I'm very, very fortunate to have a few acceptances, and I don't want to hold up the process for everyone else by waiting for schools that never plan on notifying me...

I'm not sure I recall hearing about this for PhD admissions. It's pretty commonplace for job applications, though.

10 hours ago, Abendstern said:

Does anybody know offhand which schools typically fail to send out rejections? I'm very, very fortunate to have a few acceptances, and I don't want to hold up the process for everyone else by waiting for schools that never plan on notifying me...

I don't know of a comprehensive list, but UCLA is notorious for this - if you look on gradcafe you'll see people had to solicit rejections on April fourteenth.