Admissions Blog: Hello and Predictions

jacbarcan

20 minutes ago, SamStone said:

think we'll hear from Stanford today?

I don't really know. Based off of the email Nat got, I would guess next week. But again, really it could come out any day. 

Also, I think Princeton will come out next week. It would be very atypical for them to come out this week when they in the past four years have released the first week of March. 

I don't know what to think of Harvard - on the one hand they usually don't release all acceptances on one day, but on the other hand there has always been fewer posted acceptances in prior years...

Yeah. I have no idea. Last year, Princeton had like 12 acceptances and people were really weirded out by that. It might just be that the people with offers are all on gradcafe and their system is still the same. Don't completely give up hope, but don't hold your breath. 

3 hours ago, jacbarcan said:

Yeah. I have no idea. Last year, Princeton had like 12 acceptances and people were really weirded out by that. It might just be that the people with offers are all on gradcafe and their system is still the same. Don't completely give up hope, but don't hold your breath. 

I was looking at Princeton's table of grad students by year a while ago and I noticed that they seemed to have particularly large classes the past few years. From this, I thought it possible that they'd be particularly selective this year to cut down on their class size.

8 hours ago, dgswaim said:

Under/over on UBC?

I know how you feel. I went to 2 or 3 talks by their grad students at the Eastern, and now I'd consider murder as a means of securing a spot even more seriously than I already was. But my gut instinct is not until March. I think I might go all the way to second week of March, actually.

19 minutes ago, MentalEngineer said:

I know how you feel. I went to 2 or 3 talks by their grad students at the Eastern, and now I'd consider murder as a means of securing a spot even more seriously than I already was. But my gut instinct is not until March. I think I might go all the way to second week of March, actually.

Working with John Beatty and Margaret Schabas would be pretty boss. Plus... hello? Vanfuckingcouver!

24 minutes ago, notorious_biv said:

Does anyone know whether Pitt HPS is still sending out acceptances?

There's only been one accept so far in the results search list.  I too have not heard anything from them, so I can only hope that they're taking their sweet time deciding on just how much funding to give me once they accept me....

6 minutes ago, matchamatcha said:

There's only been one accept so far in the results search list.  I too have not heard anything from them, so I can only hope that they're taking their sweet time deciding on just how much funding to give me once they accept me....

On second thought, I think we'll see more. I just ran a few different searches and more appeared for previous years.

Edited by notorious_biv

6 hours ago, gughok said:

I was looking at Princeton's table of grad students by year a while ago and I noticed that they seemed to have particularly large classes the past few years. From this, I thought it possible that they'd be particularly selective this year to cut down on their class size.

I'm hoping it means that they'll just continue sending out lots of acceptances.

13 minutes ago, SamStone said:

Okay, Riverside. Today is your day, right?! (Please?)

Fun fact: Over the past 7 years, UCR has released on every day of the week except Sunday. They have, however, released twice on a Friday.

I therefore prognosticate that they will release tomorrow.

On 2/19/2016 at 5:45 PM, majorshake said:

Sorry for the double post, but I thought I'd share my prediction for McGill

In 2010 it was the 19th Feb (last Friday of Feb)
In 2011 there are no reported admits
In 2012 16-18 Feb (end of the second week of Feb)
In 2013 it was the 22nd Feb (last Friday of Feb)
In 2014 no reported admits
In 2015 it was the 25th Feb (last Wednesday of Feb)

Based on the fact that the last few years the admits have always been released in February (and in the last two years I have data for, in the last week of the month), then I predict that if we don't hear today, then probably middle of next week. 

So say I.

FWIW, I know that prospectives are starting to visit the campus. They do tend to dig into their waitlist, though, so don't lose hope!

41 minutes ago, Siegfried42 said:

Hey @jacbarcan - is there any reason in particular you picked today for Michigan? I looked through the results page and it looks like they released March the last two years, right?

Siegfried, I think @philosophe posted that an "inside" source had info about when the ad comm will meet.  

39 minutes ago, Siegfried42 said:

Hey @jacbarcan - is there any reason in particular you picked today for Michigan? I looked through the results page and it looks like they released March the last two years, right?

I may have the wrong data but I have F23-2012, M9-2013, F7-2014, M5-2015....

This was data I got from Ian. I'm pretty sure 2014 isn't wrong, but if it is then yes it should be next week.