2016 Acceptance Thread

panpsychist

1 minute ago, LLeuven said:

After being depressed last week about not hearing from USF, I, my fiancé, and one of our housemates drove from Atlanta to Raleigh to see an NHL game and get my mind off things, and half an hour ago while driving back to ATL- after being in the car since 6:30 this morning- I received my acceptance!!!!! I have been shaky and weepy and unable to stop smiling since. I feel in a way that I don't deserve this, and yet I also know how hard I worked for it. I'm just glad I can finally start planning the next 5 years of my life!

WOooooooo!!!!!

6 minutes ago, LLeuven said:

After being depressed last week about not hearing from USF, I, my fiancé, and one of our housemates drove from Atlanta to Raleigh to see an NHL game and get my mind off things, and half an hour ago while driving back to ATL- after being in the car since 6:30 this morning- I received my acceptance!!!!! I have been shaky and weepy and unable to stop smiling since. I feel in a way that I don't deserve this, and yet I also know how hard I worked for it. I'm just glad I can finally start planning the next 5 years of my life!

I saw that post during class and I was so hoping it was gonna be yours. I'm so happy for you :) 

3 minutes ago, LLeuven said:

YES YES YES!! I am unbelievably happy for you. And so is he...

tumblr_nzvzw72bH81v1g6r4o1_500.gif

10 minutes ago, LLeuven said:

Congrats!!!

3 minutes ago, lisamadura said:

YES YES YES!! I am unbelievably happy for you. And so is he...

tumblr_nzvzw72bH81v1g6r4o1_500.gif

I've been waiting for one of these for so long! THANK YOU!

4 minutes ago, MickeyRay said:

I saw that post during class and I was so hoping it was gonna be yours. I'm so happy for you :) 

Thank you! I'm all out of upvotes, but I wish I could give this a million! You are so kind!

15 minutes ago, LLeuven said:

If I could up vote this, I would. Congrats!!!

Just got a nice acceptance email from UT Knoxville! I'm on a waitlist for funding, so if anyone has better offers and also got accepted please let them know. I won't be able to go without funding. I am so happy that I finally have an option though! PhD here I come.

22 hours ago, torpedofish said:

I got a phone call from Yale an hour ago or so (I had to calm down some before coming on here as I was actually hyperventilating at some point. But !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!). I've still not quite recovered. This has to be one of the happiest moments of my life, if not the happiest one. (And that after I spent most of yesterday utterly depressed and heart-broken about a presumed rejection from them.)

Do not worry, you will have happier times later.

1 hour ago, swilke said:

Just got a nice acceptance email from UT Knoxville! I'm on a waitlist for funding, so if anyone has better offers and also got accepted please let them know. I won't be able to go without funding. I am so happy that I finally have an option though! PhD here I come.

Congrats, dude! You deserve it! 

17 hours ago, MVSCZAR said:

I once heard a two hour lecture on portable sundials. It was so boring that I thought I was gonna pass out. At the end of the lecture, some old guy asked, "Well, how do they work?" and the lecturer said, "We don't know." I was like, kill me now! 

16 hours ago, MVSCZAR said:

I've been to so many classics lectures, but that one definitely beat almost all of them in terms of boringness. I heard a great one once on Greek colonialism, though, and the guy super randomly started talking about Israel for a split second and I kept scanning the audience for a response and nobody said anything. Then there was the time that I had to sit through a lecture on ancient brickwork. ZzzZZzzzz 

The most boring presentations for me are usually those that are not about philosophy but that I am forced to hear. They are usually about some other discipline about humanities, and I can't brook them because I suffer listening how they approach to some not very interesting themes, without a critical and philosophical mentality. All that lack of criticism, of logic, of desire to expand and to purify one's knowledge is excruciating.

I hate that the international student that was admitted to Yale did not report his GRE score, after mentioning how crucial it was for his admission to Yale university.

Nonetheless, this demonstrates, I think, that the GRE is important for Yale. I only hope that it is not for the others.

Guys, I need to share my excitement!!! I got an updated offer from UCSB with an amazing fellowship. It comes with 3 years where I don't have to work at all and still get a great stipend, and 3 years guaranteed TAship. I know that it's not a "top school" by any means, but man am I tempted right now to accept and frolic on the beach :D:lol:

1 minute ago, philosophe said:

Guys, I need to share my excitement!!! I got an updated offer from UCSB with an amazing fellowship. It comes with 3 years where I don't have to work at all and still get a great stipend, and 3 years guaranteed TAship. I know that it's not a "top school" by any means, but man am I tempted right now to accept and frolic on the beach :D:lol:

What! Awesome! Congrats!

5 minutes ago, MVSCZAR said:

What! Awesome! Congrats!

Thanks!!! i'm like, not sure how much I should be caring about rank.... like, if I somehow got off the WL at Arizona or something it would be 15k a year TAing every semester. How do I even begin to assess if that would be worth it? 

8 minutes ago, philosophe said:

Thanks!!! i'm like, not sure how much I should be caring about rank.... like, if I somehow got off the WL at Arizona or something it would be 15k a year TAing every semester. How do I even begin to assess if that would be worth it? 

Rank seems self-fulfilling. It def doesn't matter for continental, so I'm quick to dismiss it. I'm more concerned about whether the department is filled with uptight nerdbombs.