2016 Acceptance Thread

panpsychist

1 minute ago, MVSCZAR said:

Yeah, I wouldn't worry about it. They told me I was the first person they accepted and they nominated me for a fellowship. I have to write a second statement of purpose for that due next week, which is probably why they contacted me so early. But yeah, I agree, it is super early. I don't think they're done accepting people. 

Oh man thanks-- you have no idea how much better that made me feel. And Congrats!

2 hours ago, brekekexkoax said:

Has anybody else heard from stony brook? it's pretty early for them to have sent these two out and i'm wondering if you guys were special/got special funding or something, or if they just sent out all the acceptances already? i'm anxiously waiting. I was counting on them starting to send things out at the end of this week.

I have also been accepted to Stony Brook and nominated for a fellowship. I'm sure the fellowship deadline is the reason we've been notified already. Don't lose hope. 

2 hours ago, MVSCZAR said:

Yeah, I wouldn't worry about it. They told me I was the first person they accepted and they nominated me for a fellowship. I have to write a second statement of purpose for that due next week, which is probably why they contacted me so early. But yeah, I agree, it is super early. I don't think they're done accepting people. 

Thanks guys. that's really helpful. I think that's probably true about the fellowship aspect. Congratulations to you too! 

3 hours ago, brekekexkoax said:

Thanks guys. that's really helpful. I think that's probably true about the fellowship aspect. Congratulations to you too! 

I was also accepted at Stony Brook, and it caught me by surprise how early the decision was sent out. I also highly doubt they are done sending out acceptances. It seems that there are two major fellowships the department can recommend students for: the Graduate Council Fellowship and the Turner Fellowship. There might be more, but it appears that nominations for these fellowships are really limited.

Regardless, Stony Brook is known for its ability to fund all of its graduate students. The fellowships are just extra money with less teaching responsibilities. So, I am sure there are a number of places left with full funding!

14 hours ago, anthropologiste said:

I was also accepted at Stony Brook, and it caught me by surprise how early the decision was sent out. I also highly doubt they are done sending out acceptances. It seems that there are two major fellowships the department can recommend students for: the Graduate Council Fellowship and the Turner Fellowship. There might be more, but it appears that nominations for these fellowships are really limited.

Regardless, Stony Brook is known for its ability to fund all of its graduate students. The fellowships are just extra money with less teaching responsibilities. So, I am sure there are a number of places left with full funding!

Hi-- that's awesome! One question: were you also nominated for a fellowship or did you just get a regular acceptance?

I would be interesting to see what times schools tended to release. If there was a trend, that could really alleviate some of the constantly-checking-phone-and-email stress. 

Just so it's out there, I am confident that Duke will come out this week since they are very consistent with release dates. Of course, I did make the prediction for today, but tomorrow is very likely as well. Wishing you both the best with this one. 

23 minutes ago, jacbarcan said:

I would be interesting to see what times schools tended to release. If there was a trend, that could really alleviate some of the constantly-checking-phone-and-email stress. 

Just so it's out there, I am confident that Duke will come out this week since they are very consistent with release dates. Of course, I did make the prediction for today, but tomorrow is very likely as well. Wishing you both the best with this one. 

I've noticed personally that late afternoon/early evening tends to be the time... like 4-5pm. (This is my second admissions cycle). I assume this is because the prof charged with calling or emailing procrastinates to the end of the day, completing the task right before they leave their office. 

Edited by philosophe

2 minutes ago, philosophe said:

I've noticed personally that late afternoon/early evening tends to be the time... like 4-5pm. (This is my second admissions cycle). I assume this is because the prof charged with calling or emailing and procrastinates to the end of the day, completing the task right before they leave their office. 

That just makes so much sense. lazy philosophers. 

4 minutes ago, jacbarcan said:

That just makes so much sense. lazy philosophers. 

Lazy, perhaps, but also brilliant, if RateMyProfessor is to be believed:

http://dailynous.com/2016/01/27/philosophers-called-brilliant-more-than-other-profs-on-stupid-website/

Yeah. So, Cincinnati was a really random prediction on my end. I only had two reliable data points. We'll see what happens with that. 

So, a Duke acceptance is posted. Anyone willing to claim it and give a tad bit of detail? 

The fact that there's just the one Duke post seems to justify the retention of at least a glimmer of hope. I'd expect at least half a dozen or so if they'd released all of their acceptances. Maybe the mystery poster was nominated for a fellowship or some such thing. 

Yeah. I'll probably still make a blog post without someone claiming the acceptance because it really is pretty on schedule. (But the reason I haven't yet is because I don't have a lot of evidence to know that the post was legitimate.) I totally agree dgswaim about this. There would be more than just one person if they all came out today. 

22 minutes ago, ashtonlg said:

Should I have received any email from Duke since the one confirming receipt of my application? Did any of you get one like the one from Notre Dame, explaining the application process?

I don't think so: Notre Dame is the only school from which I received such an explanatory e-mail. Did you get the link to the status checker? That's all I got from them aside from the initial confirmation.

8 minutes ago, currentphilgrad said:

Spent the day obsessively checking my email hoping for one from Duke. Maybe I'm foolish but I'm having a hard time believing that all acceptances went out. I have three schools that are supposed to send out acceptances a week from tomorrow, but I don't want to wait that long! I just want to know what I'm doing next year!

I agree. Most likely, they aren't done. That or the Duke acceptance was fake. I haven't received any information about it other than that there was a post on the results page, but it's also really rare that people will post fakes and they're usually really obvious (a month earlier than usual) and for programs ranked at top 5 on philgourmet.