2016 Acceptance Thread

panpsychist

I've also been obsessively checking email and the Duke portal (which always gives me an error when I log in but then allows me to click a link to get in, which I find bizarre). Anyway, no emails and nothing in the portal. I'm also assuming that Duke isn't finished accepting. One would think that at least some of the other accepted folks would either post it on the results page or at the very least put us out of our misery on this thread. One would think that there would be at least some mention of it in the threads themselves. But in their defense, it is difficult to type and hold celebratory drinks at the same time. So it's hard to say.

32 minutes ago, currentphilgrad said:

I used to love weekends but now I dread them because it means no more admittance news until at least Monday.

It's not uncommon for stuff to come out on Saturdays. Sundays are less common, but I've seen it happen.

Woah congratulations! I definitely just immediately ended my phone conversation so I can keep my line open in case they call me. (Sorry, mom!)

If you do decide to go there, you'll love it. I'm taking a PhD level course in the Philosophy department right now, and everyone is super cooperative and supportive. It's a great environment to work in.

14 minutes ago, LLeuven said:

Woah congratulations! I definitely just immediately ended my phone conversation so I can keep my line open in case they call me. (Sorry, mom!)

If you do decide to go there, you'll love it. I'm taking a PhD level course in the Philosophy department right now, and everyone is super cooperative and supportive. It's a great environment to work in.

Good to know! The graduate director was very warm and kind--he made a strong impression on me. They are flying me out in March to visit the department! 

6 minutes ago, lisamadura said:

Good to know! The graduate director was very warm and kind--he made a strong impression on me. They are flying me out in March to visit the department! 

That makes a lot of sense considering the early notification, and how exciting!

I'll just pretend that I haven't heard anything because I already live here and they don't have to fly me anywhere. Also- when you come down I'm sure they will get you in contact with a lot of people, but in addition to that some people from our class and their significant others tend to go out after class to some of our local philosophy friendly pubs, so when it gets closer let's exchange info and you can come along! There are a lot of first years in the class, and they have been super supportive of me during my applications. I'm sure they would love to meet you.

1 hour ago, LLeuven said:

That makes a lot of sense considering the early notification, and how exciting!

I'll just pretend that I haven't heard anything because I already live here and they don't have to fly me anywhere. Also- when you come down I'm sure they will get you in contact with a lot of people, but in addition to that some people from our class and their significant others tend to go out after class to some of our local philosophy friendly pubs, so when it gets closer let's exchange info and you can come along! There are a lot of first years in the class, and they have been super supportive of me during my applications. I'm sure they would love to meet you.

That's very kind of you to offer. I look forward to it!

Calling bullshit on the NYU acceptance.

Edit: About 20 minutes later from first seeing it, the acceptance is gone. I don't know if the original poster deleted it or someone else (they said a few choice words, so maybe it was taken down for that), but let it be recorded that there was potentially an NYU acceptance. I wouldn't put any stock in it, though. The comment was something angry about people not posting stats, and the stats that were attached were perfect GRE scores and a perfect GPA.

Edited by Ulixes
Clarity

13 minutes ago, dgswaim said:

Anyone see the weird "all schools" post? Odd.

Definitely second that it makes sense, but also the post seems to imply that at least some people behind admissions keep an eye on the survey page, and maybe the forums. Which, to me, is a bit intimidating to consider.

26 minutes ago, gughok said:

Definitely second that it makes sense, but also the post seems to imply that at least some people behind admissions keep an eye on the survey page, and maybe the forums. Which, to me, is a bit intimidating to consider.

I should probably take this as an opportunity to talk about all my struggles and stuff... And about how BS it is to expect me to select a race when I'm Hispanic. It isn't easy. At all. 

1 hour ago, dgswaim said:

I thought it was super weird bc the DGS / admissions contact is usually listed on the school's website. If this is public knowledge then I don't know why it would make any difference listing their names here... 

7 hours ago, MVSCZAR said:

I should probably take this as an opportunity to talk about all my struggles and stuff... And about how BS it is to expect me to select a race when I'm Hispanic. It isn't easy. At all. 

Some of them gave me legit anxiety. Like, you could tell that they tried to give all of the choices, but I'm like the most ethnically/racially confused person, you know? My dad is Mexican, but he got the weirdly pale genes, and he speaks five languages. So, he sounds European but people frequently ask if he's Chinese. Despite that, he's like 1/4 black, which mostly shows up in that I basically have an afro. My abuelita looks Philippina (is that the spelling of that?), and like half of my family still speaks Mayan. So I'm like ... Native American...? But like all the for those options were the ones like Cherokee. (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ 

Edited by FoxAndChicken

9 hours ago, dgswaim said:

9 hours ago, MVSCZAR said:

Yeah. I guess it makes sense, though. 

9 hours ago, gughok said:

Wait, maybe I'm just a little slow. I realize that the post was deleted...and that is not why it is up any longer. But what would this post have been referring to? Or why does it make sense? Why would that imply that admissions keep an eye on the page?

1 hour ago, FoxAndChicken said:

Some of them gave me legit anxiety. Like, you could tell that they tried to give all of the choices, but I'm like the most ethnically/racially confused person, you know? My dad is Mexican, but he got the weirdly pale genes, and he speaks five languages. So, he sounds European but people frequently ask if he's Chinese. Despite that, he's like 1/4 black, which mostly shows up in that I basically have an afro. My abuelita looks Philippina (is that the spelling of that?), and like half of my family still speaks Mayan. So I'm like ... Native American...? But like all the for those options were the ones like Cherokee. (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ 

Ugh. They seriously need to change that. 

Both my parents are Colombian. My mom is darker than my dad, because my dad's family is white as hell. My dads dad's family is descended from conquistadors. My mom's dad was Afro Colombian. My mom's mom is Spanish and indigenous. Both my parents came here illegally in the 80s and eventually got citizenship. Spanish is my native language, and I didn't learn English until I was 5, but I was born in the US. I'm light skinned naturally but even a hint of sun makes me turn brown. But I'm not white, or African, or indigenous. It seems remarkably unfair to have to choose since we don't really categorize that way in South America. And on top of that, I don't even know how to answer the native language question. BS, I tell you! They need to find better questions to ask if they want to legitimately increase diversity. 

2 hours ago, MVSCZAR said:

Ugh. They seriously need to change that. 

Both my parents are Colombian. My mom is darker than my dad, because my dad's family is white as hell. My dads dad's family is descended from conquistadors. My mom's dad was Afro Colombian. My mom's mom is Spanish and indigenous. Both my parents came here illegally in the 80s and eventually got citizenship. Spanish is my native language, and I didn't learn English until I was 5, but I was born in the US. I'm light skinned naturally but even a hint of sun makes me turn brown. But I'm not white, or African, or indigenous. It seems remarkably unfair to have to choose since we don't really categorize that way in South America. And on top of that, I don't even know how to answer the native language question. BS, I tell you! They need to find better questions to ask if they want to legitimately increase diversity. 

Call me insensitive, but I'm not really moved by your struggle to check a box.

This makes you eligible for a whole host of fellowship money that is inaccessible to others because surface diversity is what matters most.