2016 Acceptance Thread

panpsychist

3 hours ago, MVSCZAR said:

Just got accepted to the PhD program at Stony Brook via email. 

So did I! I'm from Reno, Nevada so New York is going to be an experience. I'm holding out hope for a few other schools but I would be delighted to attend Stony Brook. See you there (possibly)! 

Just got an email from ND HPS informing me that they want to interview me to get a better sense of my specific research interests, as they felt that what I'd indicated as my areas of interest in my personal statement were fairly broad. I'm still alive! WOOHOO!!!

38 minutes ago, dgswaim said:

Just got an email from ND HPS informing me that they want to interview me to get a better sense of my specific research interests, as they felt that what I'd indicated as my areas of interest in my personal statement were fairly broad. I'm still alive! WOOHOO!!!

Well done!! Best of luck to you for the interview!

On 1/24/2016 at 7:05 PM, Ulixes said:

Anyone know what's up with the WashU entry? I didn't get an email saying a decision would be out soon.

I didn't apply there but I thought that was weird. Why even bother sending a message like that?

On 1/24/2016 at 7:05 PM, Ulixes said:

Anyone know what's up with the WashU entry? I didn't get an email saying a decision would be out soon.

Same. I'm guessing the poster emailed them and asked?

Hey everyone,

I'm new here...I didn't think that I'd be this anxious after turning my apps in, and I have a question that someone here may know how to answer. 

I've noticed that there were a couple postings about Northwestern sending out notifications of acceptances and a wait list. Is it safe to assume that they have sent out all their acceptances, and have just not sent out rejections yet. Or, do these notifications come in waves? Is it safe to assume that no notification from them last week = a rejection? Or am I getting worked up too early?

Good luck all!

@ Swann: I'm nervous for the same reasons, but as far as I can tell (and please do correct me if I'm wrong) there's only one confirmed wait list notification, plus StFrancisXavier's report of somebody in his MA getting accepted. That's it - doesn't sound like a full acceptance storm yet, so there's still hope. At least that's what I'll be telling myself until the moment when disappointment strikes in the form of an actual rejection. I hope they at least have the courtesy not to use the exact same rejection letter they used last year.

@Swann @nonexistententity

Just based off of the last few years, it looks like Northwestern sends out acceptances and wait lists over the course of a week or so (especially notable in 2013). They also seem to have sent out rejections around the same time (2015, 2013) or a week after acceptances (2014) and there have been a few notifications of a wait list or two a few weeks after the first acceptances came out. I wouldn't worry just yet because the first claimed acceptance came out on Thursday and the first gradcafe wait list came out Friday. In the past four years, Northwestern hasn't released much if anything on a weekend; so, I would say it's safe to assume you'll hear back really soon with something and I wouldn't assume it's a rejection, though it is more likely. 

Best of luck,

Jac

Now I am REALLY worried. Based on my joke about using the same rejection letter they used last year, I just logged in to last year's account (they wouldn't let me use that one again so I had to make a new one for this year); when I opened last year's decision I found the rejection letter was dated to... Monday, January 25, 2016!

So either they uploaded their decision to reject me to the wrong account, or the date on the old rejection was somehow updated to the present date. I sent them an email about it, but damn this is cruel...

[Update: they replied that no decision was made yet, so the generic notification I have in my old account doesn't count. That's a BIG relief.]

Edited by nonexistententity

25 minutes ago, nonexistententity said:

@ Swann: I'm nervous for the same reasons, but as far as I can tell (and please do correct me if I'm wrong) there's only one confirmed wait list notification, plus StFrancisXavier's report of somebody in his MA getting accepted. That's it - doesn't sound like a full acceptance storm yet, so there's still hope. At least that's what I'll be telling myself until the moment when disappointment strikes in the form of an actual rejection. I hope they at least have the courtesy not to use the exact same rejection letter they used last year.

When I followed up about the WL he said that they have 5 WLs based on AOI. So there's a possibility that northwestern only notified the accept(s)/WL for metaphysics & epistemology. Just speculation at this point, but completely possible. 

Notre Dame HPS is my dream program. Glad your interview went well @dgswaim!

If all goes well for me too, maybe we will meet in person soon!

Interests: HPS, Newton, Early Modern Metaphysics, Islamic, Jewish, Medieval Natural Philosophy, Ancient Greek, Neoplatonism, Philosophy of Physics, Space and Time

Edited by ashtonlg

39 minutes ago, philosophe said:

When I followed up about the WL he said that they have 5 WLs based on AOI. So there's a possibility that northwestern only notified the accept(s)/WL for metaphysics & epistemology. Just speculation at this point, but completely possible. 

That sounds very reasonable to me and I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of schools do it that way. 

43 minutes ago, ashtonlg said:

Notre Dame HPS is my dream program. Glad your interview went well @dgswaim!

If all goes well for me too, maybe we will meet in person soon!

Interests: HPS, Newton, Early Modern Metaphysics, Islamic, Jewish, Medieval Natural Philosophy, Ancient Greek, Neoplatonism, Philosophy of Physics, Space and Time

It's actually tomorrow morning. I'll be skyping with Anjan Chakravartty (which is terrifying, since he's literally my philosophical idol).

currentphilgrad,

Did WUSTL mention a fellowship besides the two listed on the site, or are you specifically eligible for one (i.e., female, PNP, whatever)? Just trying to hang onto hope for my own admission here...

7 hours ago, philosophe said:

Eek! My AoI was M&E. I haven't heard anything from NW yet. Maybe they started with another AoI?

16 minutes ago, smwinterfeldt said:

Eek! My AoI was M&E. I haven't heard anything from NW yet. Maybe they started with another AoI?

I'm WL for M&E, but to be fair this is just a theory so I wouldn't stress. There's been literally nothing on the results pg for NW besides me, so I fully expect there's more good news to be sent out. 

On 1/25/2016 at 4:12 PM, roundtwo said:

currentphilgrad,

Did WUSTL mention a fellowship besides the two listed on the site, or are you specifically eligible for one (i.e., female, PNP, whatever)? Just trying to hang onto hope for my own admission here...

Could be the Chancellor's fellowship. When I applied last year I got an email strongly suggesting I apply for that fellowship. I do not think this means one has for sure gotten in. My speculation last year was that they liked me well enough that if I received the fellowship they may extend an acceptance offer since they wouldn't have to pay for me. Not sure if that's true though as I got an acceptance prior to final decisions on that fellowship.

10 hours ago, nonexistententity said:

10 hours ago, jacbarcan said:

@Swann @nonexistententity

Just based off of the last few years, it looks like Northwestern sends out acceptances and wait lists over the course of a week or so (especially notable in 2013). They also seem to have sent out rejections around the same time (2015, 2013) or a week after acceptances (2014) and there have been a few notifications of a wait list or two a few weeks after the first acceptances came out. I wouldn't worry just yet because the first claimed acceptance came out on Thursday and the first gradcafe wait list came out Friday. In the past four years, Northwestern hasn't released much if anything on a weekend; so, I would say it's safe to assume you'll hear back really soon with something and I wouldn't assume it's a rejection, though it is more likely. 

Best of luck,

Jac

10 hours ago, philosophe said:

Thanks so much for the helpful and encouraging replies! 

This process is anxiety-inducing (but also exciting!) so it is nice to be able to post here and get such wonderful feedback from others in similar situations :)

On 1/25/2016 at 4:12 PM, roundtwo said:

currentphilgrad,

The fellowship is the Olin fellowship. But there are other fellowships!

On 1/23/2016 at 4:02 PM, jacbarcan said:

Awesome! Congratulations. Who sent the email?

Has anybody else heard from stony brook? it's pretty early for them to have sent these two out and i'm wondering if you guys were special/got special funding or something, or if they just sent out all the acceptances already? i'm anxiously waiting. I was counting on them starting to send things out at the end of this week.

35 minutes ago, brekekexkoax said:

Has anybody else heard from stony brook? it's pretty early for them to have sent these two out and i'm wondering if you guys were special/got special funding or something, or if they just sent out all the acceptances already? i'm anxiously waiting. I was counting on them starting to send things out at the end of this week.

Yeah, I wouldn't worry about it. They told me I was the first person they accepted and they nominated me for a fellowship. I have to write a second statement of purpose for that due next week, which is probably why they contacted me so early. But yeah, I agree, it is super early. I don't think they're done accepting people.