2016 Acceptance Thread

panpsychist

1 minute ago, jacbarcan said:

I still sort of think Princeton is a fraud....

But...idk idk idk. 3 posts......but it's not particularly hard to post three times.....

Yale.....

Jac! Jac! Jac! Restoring faith! Saving democracy! A natural born leader! Jac! Jac! Jac for president!

3 minutes ago, oldhatnewtricks said:

Should I really believe Yale made calls at 11PM on Valentine's????

Call me non-neurotypical, but I think it's possible that one of the posts might have received a phone call at a time earlier than 11pm, but not posted her acceptance on Gradcafe immediately.

1 minute ago, philstudent1992 said:

Call me non-neurotypical, but I think it's possible that one of the posts might have received a phone call at a time earlier than 11pm, but not posted her acceptance on Gradcafe immediately.

Damn, I forgot they might not have posted immediately...... :( still, should I believe it?

1 minute ago, philstudent1992 said:

maybe, but both yale posts were entered in within a half hour of each other... I find it suspicious 

Just now, philosophe said:

maybe, but both yale posts were entered in within a half hour of each other... I find it suspicious 

I agree. I'm inclined to think that time of posting doesn't correlate one way or another with legitimacy, but there are other reasons to think that both posts are fake. Still, I think it's best to suspend judgment -- although the first post must be fraudulent, I think there isn't enough evidence on the other one for any conclusion to be reasonable.

34 minutes ago, philstudent1992 said:

The voice of reason calls us on our confirmation bias. Touché. 

"Hello, fellow sapientes et sapienta (as there are neuter beings on my home planet). I have received an acceptance of a fully funded PhD in the History of Philosophy of Science from the very reputable School of Hard Knocks in Boston. I am positively thrilled, I must say! I received the information via brain horn vibrations. I am being reimbursed for my visit. How much is 4000 Nomismadrachmae in US dollars?" 

The 171 V GRE score was a nice touch. 

• My writing sample was on the philosophy of igneous rocks! Particularly whether or not they are necessarily igneous or whether they could have been sedimentary. Tl;dr: Geological findings prove Kripke was wrong on the essentiality of origin.

Lol, another fake Yale. I would not worry about any of them, probably the same person. Now that makes me curious about the legitimacy of Princeton, again... Let's hope tomorrow brings clarity!

BTW: The Continental Drift made my evening. :lol:

I'm sure many of you saw this already, but if there are any schools you'd like me to contact in particular, let me know. Also let me know how soon you think is appropriate. If there's demand, I could call USC tomorrow, as well as Princeton and Yale. Not sure what is going on, but it seems like all of the Yale posts tonight were trolls. 

See the "Contacting Admissions" thread for more info. 

Well, at least they are slightly amusing... Posting before it gets deleted:

• School of Practical Philosophy, MA: "They called me on valentine's day. Ach, my beloved philosophia, philosophiae, philosophiae, philosophiam, etc. Very excited and it feels great, but I recently got into a better program. Sadly, I'm going to have to decline." 

9 hours ago, AnotherKantFan said:

Please call Princeton, Nat. Yale is definitely a fraud, but I'm not sure about Princeton.

I think you're probably right, because 1) no one else has come out claiming an admit from Yale yet; 2) I did a search on Yale philosophy admits from all prior years, and not one of them has come through the phone.

1 minute ago, ZoliK said:

I think you're probably right, because 1) no one else has come out claiming an admit from Yale yet; 2) I did a search on Yale philosophy admits from all prior years, and not one of them has come through the phone.

Also it's too early. 

23 minutes ago, iunoionnis said:

For those who have received acceptance phone calls, what time of day were they at? I work a full-time job, and have been wondering whether I might get a call while working.

I got one from Vanderbilt at around 6:30 Eastern

25 minutes ago, Nat_Foot said:

I contacted Princeton: "We haven't made our decisions yet." 

I removed the Princeton post, notification of acceptance, and date from the predictions page. Thank you so much Nat. 

Edited by jacbarcan