2016 Acceptance Thread

panpsychist

7 minutes ago, psm1580b said:

I was no-shit teaching when I got the email. My laptop happened to be open to my email and I'd just looked down and seen "Re: Your application..." 

Cue 30 seconds of awkward, "Um, yeah, well, the, uh, absurd... where was I?" 

Dude, I wudda straight up peaced out lol

2 hours ago, dgswaim said:

Dude, I wudda straight up peaced out lol

To be fair, class had just started and I have been looking forward to teaching Kierkegaard all semester. :)

I've heard back from every school now. Accepted to Virginia Tech, Western Michigan, Ohio University, and UNF (North Florida, small MA program). Unfortunately, none of those admittances came with funding packages ? Western Michigan and Ohio both told me I'm on the waitlist for funding and I'm currently on the waitlist at Colorado State. Colorado is my top choice, and it's looking like my best shot at landing funding somewhere at this point, given what the departments have told me, so I'm really hoping a spot opens up. If anyone has the luxury of choosing between Colorado State and another funded offer, remember that you can make a stranger's dream (and perhaps only shot this season) come true! Best of luck to everyone! Now I cross my fingers and hope for good news in the coming week...

5 minutes ago, philosophe said:

Are you planning to decline everything else today? Every decline helps us WL folk! It's such a small network of ppl

Yeah, so I told most of my schools I'd give them their decisions on the 10th (Sunday) However, I'm going to send out some today. Sadly, I can't do too much yet, as even though Brandeis and FSU are my top choices, I have a partner I'm also trying to work around. With that said, I'll be declining my fully funded Kent State offer, fully funded University of Toledo offer, and unfunded University of Florida offer today. I will be declining Boston College (unfunded), Boston University (unfunded), and Loyola Marymount (funded) by Sunday.

I still don't have all the information for Brandeis, CSULB, or Marquette, so as soon as they get back to me, I will make decisions on those as well.

Hope this helps folks.

And sorry to everyone waiting, as a person who was waiting, and is now sitting on a lot of offers, now that I have everything in, I will try to be as quick as I can.

Has anyone gotten any more info for Austin? I haven't heard a thing - I called and spoke to someone who did look at my application and she said I was basically just ... not rejected. So basically if tons of people decline and they need to pull from a slightly less qualified pool, there I am. I have one offer that I am on the verge of accepting but would like to at least hear back from Austin before I do that.

1 hour ago, portmanteau said:

Has anyone gotten any more info for Austin? I haven't heard a thing - I called and spoke to someone who did look at my application and she said I was basically just ... not rejected. So basically if tons of people decline and they need to pull from a slightly less qualified pool, there I am. I have one offer that I am on the verge of accepting but would like to at least hear back from Austin before I do that.

This is also what I was told when I inquired as to my status. It took a couple days to think it over, but I decided that unless I was certain that I would accept Texas sight unseen, without time to gather more information or visit the department, I'd go ahead and take the best offer I actually had rather than holding out. Lacking that certainty, I accepted the other offer and moved on; your mileage may vary.

On 4/12/2016 at 2:16 PM, portmanteau said:

I was in limbo but solicited and got a rejection. Although now it sounds like they're going into the limbo ppl, kicking myself for soliciting now! haha 

1 hour ago, philosophe said:

I was in limbo but solicited and got a rejection. Although now it sounds like they're going into the limbo ppl, kicking myself for soliciting now! haha 

I solicited and did not get a rejection O.o They told me I am not accepted/waitlisted but not rejected yet.

My emphasis is not language though so maybe I will not be so lucky.

Edit:

2 hours ago, FettuccineAlfrege said:

I was just accepted at Austin off the "waitlist for the waitlist." My AOI is language, and it sounds like the next admit will also be a language person if I ultimately decline. 

Where else are you debating between?

Edited by TheJabberwock

52 minutes ago, TheJabberwock said:

I solicited and did not get a rejection O.o They told me I am not accepted/waitlisted but not rejected yet.

Edit:

right now I'm debating between WashU, OSU, and UT, and I'm "high on the waitlist" at USC. I'll almost certainly go to USC if I get in.  

1 hour ago, TheJabberwock said:

Edit:

I've solicited twice, once yesterday, and was told that they couldn't even say I had a pretty good chance of being rejected. I'm just ... stuck. My emphasis isn't language either so same here.

On 4/13/2016 at 4:52 PM, philosophe said:

Would you mind telling me how they notified you? By phone or email and did the status on the website change? Trying to look at everything but it would be nice to know where I would have the best luck!

On 3/11/2016 at 4:13 PM, philosophe said:

I don't know why this post is in a quote box from philosophe, so sorry. Anyway the wait is over...I've been accepted at University of Wisconsin-Madison! So excited! I've already accepted the offer. Oh, also (edit), for the record, this is the program that originally rejected me and then let me know last week that I was on the waitlist. I may be the only person who has been rejected, waitlisted, and accepted at the same school haha

Edited by currentphilgrad