Computer Science PhD admission results for Fall/07?

I have applied to the PhD Computer Science program in the following universities for Fall/2007 (I have only heard from two of them as of 1 March 07) :

1. U of Washington Seattle (Rejected, 10% accept rate)

2. UNC-Chapel Hill (Accepted, 15% accept rate, 26K/year assistanceship, tuition waiver) [grad visit is from 23-25 March]

3. UCSB

4. UC Riverside

5. USC

6. UCLA

7. UCSD [uCSD's grad visit is from 15-16 March. So should I expect that I have been rejected?]

8. UMD-College Park

9. Columbia

10. GaTech

Has anyone heard from any of these universities? I know Washington-Seattle has rejected many applications, but I have no clue about the others. The problem is that the online systems of these universities convey no information at all.

Should I email requesting status on application? Who should I email? Last time I emailed, I got no response. Columbia seems to have a two phase admission process. In the first phase they accept those applicants whom they definitely want and reject those they don't want for sure. In the second phase they make up their mind about the remaining applicants. Am I right?

I am wondering the same regarding gatech...I have seen some admissions, but still on their website it says no decision available. I'm not sure if they simply delay rejection announcements (as seems to be the case with many schools) or if they are still evaluating certain applications. I did send an inquiry via email to gatech yesterday (not to my dept, but to the grad office contact I had prior to my application being submitted), but have not yet received a response. If you find out anything, post it here :)

I applied to the following PhD programs for Fall 2007:

Brown

Carnegie Mellon (ACO program, technically in the math department)

Cornell

U.Chicago

NYU

Georgia Tech (Accepted, ~25k/year, tuition waiver, grad visit from 3/13-3/16)

WUSTL

No rejections yet, but only the one notification from Georgia Tech. Which either means a lot of implied rejections or implied waitlists. But as they say, you only need one..

I still haven't heard from UCSB ... I think a lot of these schools are notifying as they make individual decisions, not all in one bunch. It probably has to do with funding sources, etc., too. How were you notified by UCSB?

Received an admission offer from GaTech. They are giving me 37.5 percent TAship (19.5K/year). I haven't yet received an email inviting me to come to their Grad Visit Day. Anyone like me?

Also, received a reject from Columbia.

• 2 weeks later...
I still haven't heard from UCSB ... I think a lot of these schools are notifying as they make individual decisions, not all in one bunch. It probably has to do with funding sources, etc., too. How were you notified by UCSB?

Check your application status online.

They never emailed me. I just found the rejection letter online.

I applied for biomed engineering, but it has the same deadline as CS, and still under review...

There is a website where you can check, they send it after receiving your app payment.

The website still says "under review" for me. I wrote to ask for an update from UC-Irvine and in their response they said the following: "Acceptance decisions are ongoing from February until May." (my italics)

Are they kidding? Don't they know that April 15 is the deadline for accepting just about everywhere?

Computer science - PhD program

UCLA - waiting (they said they are reviewing my application)

USC - waiting (reviewing)

UMD College Park - waiting (don't know what's going on)

UNC Chapel Hill - accepted

GaTech - accepted

UCSB - rejected

UC Riverside - rejected

UCSD - rejected

Washington Seattle - rejected

Columbia - rejected

Computer science - PhD program

UCLA - waiting (they said they are reviewing my application)

USC - waiting (reviewing)

UMD College Park - waiting (don't know what's going on)

UNC Chapel Hill - accepted

GaTech - accepted

UCSB - rejected

UC Riverside - rejected

UCSD - rejected

Washington Seattle - rejected

Columbia - rejected

USC says they will be mailing decisions, but the acceptance posted on the results page on 2/27 said it was via email -- I wonder if they only mail rejections? But looking through the results for USC, I'm wondering if the person who posted the acceptance around the end of Feb. thought that the email from financial aid was an indication of acceptance. I got that email around the same time, but I think everyone who filled out a FAFSA for USC got that email regardless of acceptance or not. Or maybe it was an informal email from a professor/contact? hmmm... all this waiting is starting to take a toll on my sanity! :shock:

What schools are people waiting for?

I'm waiting to hear from USC, UCI, and IU.

Accepted: UIC, Northeastern

Waiting: USC, UCI, IU

Rejected: Purdue, UIUC, WUSTL

What are people's thoughts about chances of working in academia in CS with a PhD from UIC or Northeastern. They are both out of the top 50. I know the chances at USC, UCI, and IU are substantially higher, but I'm just trying to figure out my plans. Thanks!

Program: PhD CS

Research area of interest: Networks

Accepts (first the good news): GaTech, UNC, UofT

Rejects (now the bad news and a long list): UW-Seattle, Columbia, WUSTL, UCSB, UC-Riverside, UCLA

Wait-listed (kept me hanging): UMD-College Park

Waiting (in the limbo): USC <- pretty sure won't go there. Will they send me a refund, if I withdraw my application?

Anyone in the Networking area got into these universities??

Still no word from UC Irvine, did you guys apply by the Jan 15th deadline or Feb 1st?

Also, has anyone heard from Brown Univ Engineering department?

God I love checking my email

I'm still waiting on USC, UCI, and IU. I submitted all of them prior to their financial aid deadlines.

I'm still waiting on USC, UCI, and IU. I submitted all of them prior to their financial aid deadlines.

Well, it looks like UC -Irvine sent out a big batch of rejection emails (mine was one of them). Still no word from USC, but I don't really care at this point, b/c I've pretty much made up my mind that I'm going to UCSB.