2016 Rejection/Plan B Thread

samori

5 minutes ago, philosopher_queen said:

You have to go to you.usc.edu --> Decision Status. If you were rejected, you'll be able to click on a PDF with a rejection later. If you weren't, you'll see no mail and "One or more of your applications is still under review and a decision has not yet been posted."

Ahhh well there it is.  Rejected all the same. 

So I didn't have a Plan B, but now that I'm pessimistic rather than optimistic, here are some ideas:

(1) Try again: improve GRE scores; shoot for 170 verbal (was 166 on my one attempt), send an even better writing sample, tailor interests to university faculty better.
(2) Study for and take the GRE general English exam and apply for English M.A. (despite lack of English courses), focusing on literary and critical theory.

(3) Journalism?

Edited by iunoionnis

Claiming one of the USC rejections. (No email, checked site.) Sucks, I thought I was a good applicant. A ton of rejections this year; I heard that there were going to be less applicants across the board.

(0a/0w/1r out of 19)

@iunoionnis - I doubt 170 verbal will help you that much more than 166. Focus on the writing sample.

8 minutes ago, psm1580b said:

I feel like I want to join you all in solidarity, but I didn't apply to Wisconsin.

However, I have no doubt that, had I applied, I'd be rejected too.

The counterfactual commiseration is (possibly) real!

8 minutes ago, thatsjustsemantics said:

my thoughts exactly: come on Oklahoma and NIU!

Oklahoma looks to be pretty inconsistent. No real telling when they'll release results. Also, fwiw, there is a huge funding crisis in OK right now. Np telling how that might affect OU and possibly funding packages.

4 minutes ago, dgswaim said:

Oklahoma looks to be pretty inconsistent. No real telling when they'll release results. Also, fwiw, there is a huge funding crisis in OK right now. Np telling how that might affect OU and possibly funding packages.

Well, it seems like OU offers only two funded MA spots. All I know is that they have not had an admissions meeting yet, but that it might be sometime this week or the next (consistent with past results).

edit: also, would you mind expounding upon the funding crisis in OK? Your sources and its impact so far?

Edited by thatsjustsemantics

3 minutes ago, ZoliK said:

Haven't heard anything back. How should I interpret this?

Maybe you're on the waitlist (I think I read somewhere they already sent out acceptances, but I could be wrong).

Edited by brush

23 minutes ago, thatsjustsemantics said:

Well, it seems like OU offers only two funded MA spots. All I know is that they have not had an admissions meeting yet, but that it might be sometime this week or the next (consistent with past results).

edit: also, would you mind expounding upon the funding crisis in OK? Your sources and its impact so far?

I know an OU professor (non philosophy). The state is facing a 1.3 billion dollar deficit. It's unclear how this will affect universities in the state. I just know everyone is on edge. Similar thing happening here in Louisiana right now. 

27 minutes ago, currentphilgrad said:

I was also rejected. Boo! 

Why wouldn't you want to work with Elliott Sober?

He's been described to me as difficult to work with. Also, I nearly always find myself taking the view opposite his in the phil bio literature.

35 minutes ago, pecado said:

I honestly think that the single Brown acceptance might be fake. But, anyway, do you know if Brown has a wait list?

As far as I know, nobody else has heard a peep. According to the past years' survey results, it looks like Brown has done waitlists in the past.

5 minutes ago, bechkafish said:

As far as I know, nobody else has heard a peep. According to the past years' survey results, it looks like Brown has done waitlists in the past.

Even if it is real, I definitely don't think they've finished giving out offers.