2016 Rejection/Plan B Thread

samori

15 minutes ago, Schwarzwald said:

Got an email today from LA that was like "We don't have your transcripts, but honestly, we probably don't need them."

LA? Although I'm leaning towards interpreting this as bad news, it's ambiguous -- how could they not care about evaluating your grades, if you paid the fee?

20 minutes ago, Schwarzwald said:

Got an email today from LA that was like "We don't have your transcripts, but honestly, we probably don't need them."

3 minutes ago, thatsjustsemantics said:

LA? Although I'm leaning towards interpreting this as bad news, it's ambiguous -- how could they not care about evaluating your grades, if you paid the fee?

They should still have unofficial transcripts and I'm sure they're just thinking that no one really lies about grades since they double check after admittance. 

Did they say that they don't need them as of now unless you're admitted or did they say that they don't need them at all? If it sounded more like the former, I wouldn't worry any more than normal. If the latter, I hate to say it too that it sounds bad since they'll need them eventually. 

10 minutes ago, thatsjustsemantics said:

2 minutes ago, jacbarcan said:

They should still have unofficial transcripts and I'm sure they're just thinking that no one really lies about grades since they double check after admittance. 

Did they say that they don't need them as of now unless you're admitted or did they say that they don't need them at all? If it sounded more like the former, I wouldn't worry any more than normal. If the latter, I hate to say it too that it sounds bad since they'll need them eventually. 

It was a def "as of now" situation, my post was cheeky. I had to share, mostly because when I read the first line I had a mini panic attack, but the rest of the email clarified. 

6 hours ago, Schwarzwald said:

It was a def "as of now" situation, my post was cheeky. I had to share, mostly because when I read the first line I had a mini panic attack, but the rest of the email clarified. 

Yeah, I think I'd freak if I got that email. They clarified that they only needed your unofficial for now? I can't remember if I sent them officials... I think I did. Their app was really vague and said that the unofficial might be ok "depending on department."

50 minutes ago, philosophe said:

Yeah, I think I'd freak if I got that email. They clarified that they only needed your unofficial for now? I can't remember if I sent them officials... I think I did. Their app was really vague and said that the unofficial might be ok "depending on department."

They require official transcripts, just not completed undergraduate transcripts. For the record, this is for LMU not UCLA.

20 minutes ago, Schwarzwald said:

They require official transcripts, just not completed undergraduate transcripts. For the record, this is for LMU not UCLA.

Oh! I definitely thought you meant UCLA. Good luck w/ LMU -- it's in such a nice location. 

12 minutes ago, philosophe said:

Oh! I definitely thought you meant UCLA. Good luck w/ LMU -- it's in such a nice location. 

haha, yeah. I started to realize in my head that UCLA definitely has claim to the simple "LA" tag over LMU to most people. G'luck with UCLA! 

Hey guys. I'm applying to dual degrees in law and philosophy and so submitted applications to both the law schools and the graduate schools of each institution. Since Duke recently sent out admissions for its Ph.D. program, and I did not receive anything, I'm assuming I was rejected. Though I have not yet heard from the law school yet, I have a good chance of being admitted - law admissions are far more predictable than are those for philosophy. Do you guys think it would be okay to e-mail them (the law school) and ask to consider me for the funded J.D./M.A. instead, even though I have not officially heard back anything? Or should I wait until I receive an official rejection for the Ph.D?

Edit: JD/MA apps go through the law school instead of the graduate school

Edited by Siegfried42

8 minutes ago, majorshake said:

Looks like Penn State and U.Chicago are out for me. 

Balls. 

Balls indeed. I was aiming for Chicago with a focus in ancient, but I apparently lost out to someone with an MA in ancient :( At least judging by the post in the acceptance thread. From what I can tell so far, it looks like MAs are just gonna completely annihilate me. Not that MAs are bad. It's just...balls. 

Edited by oldhatnewtricks

7 minutes ago, oldhatnewtricks said:

Balls indeed. I was aiming for Chicago with a focus in ancient, but I apparently lost out to someone with an MA in ancient :( At least judging by the post in the acceptance thread. From what I can tell so far, it looks like MAs are just gonna completely annihilate me. Not that MAs are bad. It's just...balls. 

I (almost) have an MA.. still didn't do me any good :P

1 hour ago, oldhatnewtricks said:

Sorry =(

I really would encourage you to consider MA programs in Classics or Ancient Philosophy (I'm not sure how many of these programs exist, but I know Western has one - a couple of my friends have gone through it, and really appreciated the experience: http://www.uwo.ca/philosophy/graduate/ma_ancient_philosophy/index.html). In my discussions with profs working in Ancient, they generally seem to really appreciate candidates with strong preparation in Latin/Greek and an interest in cross-disciplinary work. Also, don't give up hope! I was rejected by almost every Ph.D. program I applied to last year (hence why I began my MA in the first place) - there's always hope for next time! 

16 minutes ago, Cecinestpasunphilosophe said:

Sorry =(

I really would encourage you to consider MA programs in Classics or Ancient Philosophy (I'm not sure how many of these programs exist, but I know Western has one - a couple of my friends have gone through it, and really appreciated the experience: http://www.uwo.ca/philosophy/graduate/ma_ancient_philosophy/index.html). In my discussions with profs working in Ancient, they generally seem to really appreciate candidates with strong preparation in Latin/Greek and an interest in cross-disciplinary work. Also, don't give up hope! I was rejected by almost every Ph.D. program I applied to last year (hence why I began my MA in the first place) - there's always hope for next time! 

Ah! You found me! that wasn't supposed to happen :P Congrats! I'm really not too bummed. Chicago wasn't a very top choice, and I knew realistically I didn't have a great shot. About all I've got going for me is that I know Greek and Latin. I can't stack up to someone who has done an MA in classics! I've applied to a couple of MAs, so I'm mostly just waiting on those :) I threw in a couple big-name PhDs just to see if I could get lucky. 

Edit: By the way, I'm happy a fellow Kierkegaard fan got in! I'm so jealous of your interests. I have to ask, are you considering doing anything with theology or going into the priesthood? I saw Notre Dame on your list, and I have a good friend doing an MA in theology there right now. He's the biggest Kierkegaard nerd I've ever met!

Edited by oldhatnewtricks

19 hours ago, Cecinestpasunphilosophe said:

Sorry =(

Damn, this sounds rad. I want to apply even though I already have an MA in philosophy.