2016 Rejection/Plan B Thread

samori

2 hours ago, luckyduck78 said:

Still waiting to hear from 5 schools. Got rejections from 2. This is my second year applying, and if I don't get in I'm probably just going to teach high school biology and see if that pays the bills.

I applied to 9, out at 3, no news from the other 6. This is my second time applying. I'm definitely thinking about non-academic jobs, or at least peripherally academic jobs.

2 hours ago, Schwarzwald said:

When folks say they found out their result on the "website," do they mean the application portal or...?

Usually. A lot of schools that use the "ApplyWeb" app, for instance, will post rejection notifications there. Some schools have a dedicated portal for tracking your application status. Duke would be an example of the latter sort. They have an online app through ApplyWeb, but once the app is submitted, a separate account is automatically created that you can sign into for the purposes of checking your status and the like. When someone says they were notified via website, it is likely one of these two things is happening.

16 minutes ago, philstudent1991 said:

I applied to 9, out at 3, no news from the other 6. This is my second time applying. I'm definitely thinking about non-academic jobs, or at least peripherally academic jobs.

I'm not sure how it works where you are, but at my institution (in Australia) there's a research office that goes over all the grant proposals before they go out to the funding bodies. They love hiring philosophers because of our "attention to detail and ability to figure stuff out for ourselves". 
Might be something to look into?

Adult pay is nice, and now I can afford to take my girlfriend out to dinner AND drinks. Also, buying books is a lot more pleasurable when you can get more than 2 without feeling guilty :P

Edited by majorshake

5 minutes ago, Dialectica said:

Whoa, whoa, whoa. Looks like Indiana is sending out rejections today (if the results page is to be believed). *heart palpitating* 

Yeah I want to know more about this... are they sending them one by one or bulk? 

Just now, oldhatnewtricks said:

Any idea if UNC is done? I really, really want to go there... My significant other already is, and we had planned to move in together if I got in :wacko:

No idea but I heard they're prompt with rejections, which is great. I'd rather know sooner rather than later. 

good luck!

Just now, philosophe said:

No idea but I heard they're prompt with rejections, which is great. I'd rather know sooner rather than later. 

good luck!

I agree... fuck this Duke bullshit. 20 damn days since acceptances went out, not a peep about my rejection yet...

And thanks! Good luck at Northwestern and Arizona! And hopefully Berkeley, too, unless they're just another Duke.

Im in the same boat. I checked the site and it just says "Applicants to multiple programs will receive individual decisions for each application. One or more of your applications is still under review and a decision has not yet been posted" but I have not received a call. Maybe I'm waitlisted?

1 hour ago, sneakysombrero said:

Do we think that USC's phone calls and Toronto's emails are done? (I.e. If we haven't received them we didn't get in)?

I don't think Toronto sent anything out yet?