MA/MS General Psych Fall 2016 Admissions

little_wing

Within the next few months, my applications for general psychology MA/MS programs for Fall 2016 will be due.  

I am applying to Villanova, Rutgers-Camden, and Seton Hall (Behavioral Neuroscience concentration).  I'm still trying to find some research-oriented psych programs in the area.  I was wondering if any one out there shares my restlessness!

I am also applying to a number of research oriented masters programs but am having a difficult time finding ones that I feel are a good fit ... And that provide funding for students as that is a huge issue for me. I applied to a number that were already due and plan to apply to a few more that are due within 2 months. It does make me restless though (even more so as I haven't heard from any of my phd programs yet..I'm assuming rejections at this point). 

@Psychologyandpizza I, too, am having a difficult time finding a good fit.  Unfortunately I am restricted geographically so that makes it that much more difficult.  I eventually would like to pursue a phd, but I believe I'll need a masters degree to make up for my low GPA. 

Good luck with hearing back from phd programs!  I hope the application process for the masters programs goes smoothly. 

I'm applying to a few in my home state and a few in Philadelphia. I don't actually mind starting off with a Masters but like all of you it's difficult finding a program that matches our needs. I hope we all do well :)

Edited by Analyticchic

2 hours ago, Analyticchic said:

I'm applying to a few in my home state and a few in Philadelphia. I don't actually mind starting off with a Masters but like all of you it's difficult finding a program that matches our needs. I hope we all do well :)

Fortunately this region has many programs to choose from.  I wish you the best of luck!  

• 3 weeks later...
46 minutes ago, mind_reader said:

Has anyone else applied to or heard from Wake Forrest University or the College of William and Mary? Starting to feel pessimistic about this years round of phd applications . . . .

Wake Forest sent emails earlier this week. Basically saying we are recommending you for admission and want to set up a phone conversation to give more information about the program. 

On February 17, 2016 at 2:44 PM, psychsquirrel said:

I received an acceptance to Villanova a couple weeks ago, but funding info won't come until mid-March.

Congrats! Is that one of your top choices? I hope they give you ample funding :)

Hey friends! So my plans have changed slightly and I'm also applying for MA/MS programs for fall 2016. All of my apps (all four of them haha) are in, so now it's just time to play the waiting game :) Thankfully many of the programs in my state (Texas) are research-oriented or clinical with a significant research component.

Just heard back from Villanova about getting accepted, which was my top choice for a master's program. Pretty stoked :lol: Not a single other program has gotten back to me though (Northern Arizona, Western & Eastern Washington, and American). Anyone hear from these programs? 

On 2/25/2016 at 1:51 PM, Zach7Attack said:

Just heard back from Villanova about getting accepted, which was my top choice for a master's program. Pretty stoked :lol: Not a single other program has gotten back to me though (Northern Arizona, Western & Eastern Washington, and American). Anyone hear from these programs? 

I just got an acceptance from Western Washington Experimental MA. I was told that official one from the department should be coming soon.

I've decided to apply to a few as well (in my signature) in addition to my phd programs but they were all later deadlines (Feb 15th was the earliest one) so it'll be a while before I hear anything. Hopefully not too long though -- I don't want to put off applying for jobs any longer than I have to.

1 hour ago, lovemc said:

Anyone got accepted in NYU MA psychology?

Based on Results Search, those acceptances usually go out in late March and into April. Are you planning on attending if you are accepted into the MA program?

I know that people say that NYU does the whole PhD rejection, MA acceptance thing, however, I would be curious to know if ALL PhD applicants are accepted to the MA program, and if not what percentage are accepted...

2 hours ago, passenger47 said:

Yup on the PhD rejection, MA acceptance. I'm interested in the percentage that are accepted, too, or at least the logic behind accepting all the PhD rejects to the MA program. (I suspect $$$?)

After looking at the Graduate Study in Psychology Reference Guide for 2015 that's in my library, it looks like approx. 50% (maybe a little more) are accepted to the MA program and of those accepted, approx. 50% accept. If you would like exact numbers for the program @passenger47 I would be happy to pass them along to you. If you don't mind me asking, when did you receive the MA acceptance? It seems early for that program.

Congrats on your acceptances by the way! :) Do you know where you will be accepting yet? Or where you're leaning towards?

Edited by FeelTheBern

3 hours ago, FeelTheBern said:

After looking at the Graduate Study in Psychology Reference Guide for 2015 that's in my library, it looks like approx. 50% (maybe a little more) are accepted to the MA program and of those accepted, approx. 50% accept. If you would like exact numbers for the program @passenger47 I would be happy to pass them along to you. If you don't mind me asking, when did you receive the MA acceptance? It seems early for that program.

Congrats on your acceptances by the way! :) Do you know where you will be accepting yet? Or where you're leaning towards?

I got the email on February 19th from NYU. I also thought it was strangely early for an MA program. If you have those numbers, I am weirdly curious and would be interested in having them.

I'm still waiting to hear from the one PhD program where I had a campus interview. In the meantime, I'm making a spreadsheet comparing the MA programs (because spreadsheets solve everything!). Mostly I'm just feeling relieved to have choices.

If anyone has helpful info about Western Washington's or William and Mary's experimental psych masters programs in particular, I'd be interested in hearing! (Or general advice about comparing masters programs.)

@FeelTheBern @passenger47 Yes the percentages are right on NYU Psy-MA website, also they mentioned there're about 200 active MA students at any time in their program. So it makes sense that each year more or less 100 students enroll in the program. @passenger47 That's really early... I just receive the AD yesterday

@lovemc You were accepted to the MA program?? Congratulations! Do you plan on attending?
@passenger47, lovemc is correct, they provide the statistics on their website. Below is a quote directly from the MA General Psych page:

"The General MA program typically receives more than 400 applications each year, of which fewer than half are accepted as matriculants and less than 5% are accepted with non-degree status. Of the students accepted each year, about half actually enroll. At any one time, there are usually more than 200 students active in the General MA Program. Our students come from across the United States as well as from several foreign countries (especially India, Turkey, Korea, China, Taiwan, Lebanon, Israel, Brazil, Mexico, Russia, and Greece). They range in age from 22 to over 50, with a mean age of around 25; many have academic backgrounds and/or work experiences in fields other than psychology. At least half of the students in the general MA program share a strong motivation to become mental health professionals as their ultimate career goal, and nearly all aspire to continue for their doctorate. A large percentage of our MA students seeking admission to doctoral programs do eventually succeed, but due to the extreme competition, very few gain admission to a doctoral-level program in our own department."

On 2/18/2016 at 11:21 AM, little_wing said:

Congrats, @psychsquirrel!  Do you plan on attending?  I will be visiting the campus soon to meet some students and faculty.

Who are you interested in working with in the department?  I got my undergrad psych degree from there and know the department very well.