MA/MS General Psych Fall 2016 Admissions

little_wing

On 3/6/2016 at 6:14 AM, Guitarman12 said:

What are some of the stats of these people that are getting accepted into these upper level MA programs?

Which ones are considered upper-level?

I recently got admitted to the MA programs at the College of William and Mary and Wake Forest University. I consider these to be "upper level" since they seem to provide good research training as well as funding. If you want to know my stats feel free to pm me! On a side note, I would love to hear what other people think of those two programs!

On 3/8/2016 at 0:53 PM, mind_reader said:

I recently got admitted to the MA programs at the College of William and Mary and Wake Forest University. I consider these to be "upper level" since they seem to provide good research training as well as funding. If you want to know my stats feel free to pm me! On a side note, I would love to hear what other people think of those two programs!

Same about loving to hear what other people think of Western Washington and William and Mary. I have funding for both and I think pretty good research opportunities at each. Which is great, but makes it hard to weigh them against each other and make a decision.

Here's some quick stats. If anyone wants more detail, pm me.

GRE: 162 V, 155 Q, 4.0 AW

GPA: 3.8

Research experience: 3+ years, completed an undergrad thesis

On 3/2/2016 at 0:28 PM, lovemc said:

Anyone got accepted in NYU MA psychology?

I have been accepted to NYU general psych MA after being rejected to the PhD program. It was funny that this happened because I applied with an MA in general psych from another school. Anyhow, I rejected the offer right away to not hold a spot for someone who may really want an offer from this program in hoping that someone would do this for me for another school that I am waitlisted. Also got an offer with partial scholarship from the New School, but deferred this right away as well. Hope you all the best!

Currently ranked #1 on the waitlist for Cal Poly (San Luis Obispo)'s MS Psychology program. Luckily got accepted to my #2 in San Fransisco, but it's private and the cost of living there is outrageous so *fingers crossed!*   Good luck and good vibes to all!

10 hours ago, JustaThought said:

I was accepted at Stony Brook!

Anyone know anything about BU's masters programs and when people hear back?

I also applied to BU's psychology masters program and I was told that they begin reviewing on March 1, and "typically all decisions are made by mid-July". I recently spoke with someone who said he heard back in May. So looks like there is still quite a bit of wait time to hear back for this program.

1 hour ago, JustaThought said:

I wish I would know sooner about BU since Stony Brook needs to know by March 23rd. Are these two programs pretty comparable?

Sorry, no idea! I have never looked into Stony Brook

Got into Georgia Southern's Experimental MS program. They said info about funding would be sent separately - anyone know about how long MS programs take to let you know about funding? 

Hi everyone,

I was recently accepted to Villanova's M.S. program and had an interview with Drexel last Monday (no word back from the school, yet).  In addition, I also applied to West Chester's M.A. program (but have not heard back yet, either).  

I was wondering if anyone who has any opinions on these programs could offer me some advice.  I am interested in eating disorder research and would eventually like to pursue a PsyD (I am interested in clinical practice, with the addition of some clinical research).  Here is my dilemma.  I know Drexel has great researchers in the area of eating disorders (I interviewed with Dr. Juarascio), but the price of admission is extremely expensive for a M.S.  Consequently, if I would happen to get accepted, I don't think I'd be able to afford the school.  Any opinions on this decision are welcome.

Possibly taking Drexel out of the equation, that leaves Villanova and West Chester.  I have not received word back from West Chester yet, but have been in contact with the department and a faculty member who is interested in eating disorders.  While there aren't any faculty members who specifically specialize in eating disorders at Villanova, there are a few that I could make work in terms of my interests.  I am concerned that West Chester doesn't appear to have a solid research program.  I am also concerned that the school has received low rankings.  I'm wondering if it would prepare me for what I want to pursue after getting my masters.

Based on what you know, which would you consider to be a better school for psychology that would prepare me for a PsyD (or PhD, possibly)?  I have undergrad RA and TA experience and am currently a research coordinator at Penn State.  I am in the process of co-designing a research project with my sister (who has also applied to the aforementioned schools and been admitted to Villanova).  In addition, I also have experience working with figure skaters with eating disorders, as well as eating disorder prevention work and support groups in both the U.S. and in England.  In terms of academia, I have a BA in Media and a BA in Psychology from Penn State, as well as a MA in Media from the University of Leeds (UK).  I have a 4.0 GPA in both Media and Psychology.

Also, I live in the vicinity of these schools, so do not have to worry about housing.

Any help you can provide me with would be greatly appreciated.

2 hours ago, Chele Marie said:

Possibly taking Drexel out of the equation, that leaves Villanova and West Chester.  I have not received word back from West Chester yet, but have been in contact with the department and a faculty member who is interested in eating disorders.  While there aren't any faculty members who specifically specialize in eating disorders at Villanova, there are a few that I could make work in terms of my interests.  I am concerned that West Chester doesn't appear to have a solid research program.  I am also concerned that the school has received low rankings.  I'm wondering if it would prepare me for what I want to pursue after getting my masters.

I don't know much about the other schools that you applied to, but I am currently a second-year in Villanova's program. While there isn't a specific faculty member that specializes in eating disorders, I know of three current students who have completed/will complete a thesis related to eating disorder research. So the opportunities are definitely there, although they might not be a clear as they would be at a school with a faculty member who specializes in that area. Villanova also tends to provide pretty great funding, which definitely was an added perk for me. 

7 hours ago, Chele Marie said:

Hi everyone,

I was recently accepted to Villanova's M.S. program and had an interview with Drexel last Monday (no word back from the school, yet).  In addition, I also applied to West Chester's M.A. program (but have not heard back yet, either).  

I was wondering if anyone who has any opinions on these programs could offer me some advice.  I am interested in eating disorder research and would eventually like to pursue a PsyD (I am interested in clinical practice, with the addition of some clinical research).  Here is my dilemma.  I know Drexel has great researchers in the area of eating disorders (I interviewed with Dr. Juarascio), but the price of admission is extremely expensive for a M.S.  Consequently, if I would happen to get accepted, I don't think I'd be able to afford the school.  Any opinions on this decision are welcome.

Based on what you know, which would you consider to be a better school for psychology that would prepare me for a PsyD (or PhD, possibly)?  I have undergrad RA and TA experience and am currently a research coordinator at Penn State.  I am in the process of co-designing a research project with my sister (who has also applied to the aforementioned schools and been admitted to Villanova).  In addition, I also have experience working with figure skaters with eating disorders, as well as eating disorder prevention work and support groups in both the U.S. and in England.  In terms of academia, I have a BA in Media and a BA in Psychology from Penn State, as well as a MA in Media from the University of Leeds (UK).  I have a 4.0 GPA in both Media and Psychology.

Also, I live in the vicinity of these schools, so do not have to worry about housing.

You should think about the program that is best suited for you as well as the one that is most affordable. It doesn't make sense to go to great a school and end up in a crap load of debt, especially if you're eventually going to go for a PHD. My older brother went to Drexel, it is one of the top schools for certain programs but depending on your program and how much that department gets is how big or little funding you'll receive(Enginnering and the sciences get the most from what I've heard). A friend of mine from college is from MA and went to undergrad ar the University of Delaware and grad school at the University of Penn for Social work and is in thousands of dollars in debt from grad and undergrad. My ex's ex went to Columbia for English and she can't find a job, and is in ALOT of debt.I'm just being honest, prestige isn't everything, you have to look at how it will affect you down the road :) Good luck

Edited by Analyticchic

To anyone wanting more info on the BU general Psych degree, here is advice from someone who went there.... Don't do it!

I found it to be a huge waste of time and money. Here are the reasons why I disliked it.

1 - Since the program is 1 year, you don't get to form great relationships with faculty.

2 - COL is outrageous. 

3 - You didn't get much choice in the classes you can take. Since you're there only a year, some classes might not be offered.

4 - The degree did nothing for me to find a decent job in Boston. I applied for jobs for months before I had to move back to PA.

I did get into a doctorate program this upcoming fall and it is possible that the Masters from BU helped, but for the $50K plus spent, I don't think it was worth it.

If somehow you do want to go there, I received my acceptance in Mid-April.

6 hours ago, smm5628 said:

To anyone wanting more info on the BU general Psych degree, here is advice from someone who went there.... Don't do it!

I found it to be a huge waste of time and money. Here are the reasons why I disliked it.

1 - Since the program is 1 year, you don't get to form great relationships with faculty.

2 - COL is outrageous.

3 - You didn't get much choice in the classes you can take. Since you're there only a year, some classes might not be offered.

4 - The degree did nothing for me to find a decent job in Boston. I applied for jobs for months before I had to move back to PA.

I did get into a doctorate program this upcoming fall and it is possible that the Masters from BU helped, but for the $50K plus spent, I don't think it was worth it.

If somehow you do want to go there, I received my acceptance in Mid-April.

Thank you for your opinions on BU! Most of those would likely apply for Stony Brook too as it is also one year. Although, I've already been matched in a lab there, and I do believe I could make good connections with that faculty. At BU, were you not matched in a lab? Did you have to seek out a lab?

I know Long Island is expensive, but I don't think it's as expensive as Boston.

Thank you for all of your help! It's so appreciated!

2 hours ago, JustaThought said:

Thank you for your opinions on BU! Most of those would likely apply for Stony Brook too as it is also one year. Although, I've already been matched in a lab there, and I do believe I could make good connections with that faculty. At BU, were you not matched in a lab? Did you have to seek out a lab?

I know Long Island is expensive, but I don't think it's as expensive as Boston.

Thank you for all of your help! It's so appreciated!

I was not matched to a lab prior to starting... Kind of went in blind and just found a lab for each semester.

I did have one professor at BU who was able to write me a good rec, but she was weary at first since I was only with her for 5 months.

Boston will be more expensive than LI. 

On 3/24/2016 at 9:27 PM, Chele Marie said:

Thank you so much for the advice ?. Twelve13, is the researcher you are referring to Dr. Kendzierski ??

I messaged you :)

Hey anyone else waitlisted at Wake Forest? Also, why did you guys apply to MA Psychology programs? Will you use the degree to get into top PhD programs or will you try to get a job with the degree? 

On March 24, 2016 at 4:49 PM, smm5628 said:

I was not matched to a lab prior to starting... Kind of went in blind and just found a lab for each semester.

I did have one professor at BU who was able to write me a good rec, but she was weary at first since I was only with her for 5 months.

Boston will be more expensive than LI. 

I went to BU for a different masters. My rent was $1400/month. Agree that living there is outrageous. I don't recommend Boston at all. I don't know where you're from but only go if winter doesn't bother you. I cry at first snowflake so I vowed never to live in Boston again. Masters are going to be expensive. That's why I applied to WFU because they have funding for master's students and you get 2 years of research experience. 

• 2 weeks later...