What Convinced You to Pursue Your Ph.D

Threeboysmom

Okay,

I'm a non-traditional student that decided to complete my masters after a 13 year hiatus.  Now that I'm in the program, I'm loving it. I love learning and the content keeps me coming back for more.  After this semester I have three semesters left and then my masters is done.  I'm seriously considering my Ph.D but I'm would like to hear from others to hear how they knew they weren't done at the Masters level.  There's a lot to consider when you have a family and other obligations so taking on a Ph.D at this time would be a huge sacrifice for my family but I think I would be happy in the end.  

A 13 year hiatus is nothing - I took 26 years off before finishing my BA, and then went straight to the masters program.

I am in the same position as you, with 3 semesters left in the masters program, and also been considering doing the PhD. It would probably be a huge effort for me, as I am sole support for the rest of my family, which include a disabled spouse and a special needs child, along with a daughter who is also in grad school (and intending on going for a PhD also after finishing the master's) and her twin brother who is still living with us.

Going for the PhD would mean another ?? years of school. Financially this is not an issue for me, as I would only go if I were able to work full time and still get tuition remission (I am a full time employee of the university where I would go), but the time commitment is troubling. I do have a work colleague that is doing the full time employment and part time PhD student thing, so it is possible, but her family situation and home location with respect to the school are very different from mine.

How would you handle the additional responsibilities?

Yes your situation is a bit different.  It's a completely different ball game since you are the sole financial supporter of your family.  I am not employed outside of the home so my plan post my masters was to find part time work within my field.  I'm just not sure that I want to finish one program and then spend another five to six years in another program, though that would be the ideal time to do it.  Sigh.... decisions... 

A boy.  Haha.  So really, my dad is a Ph.D and I always thought I would get one.  But then I moved off to get experience in industry, and life was comfortable.   Work was not terrible, I  didn't like having to be there from 9-5 each day, but it was manageable.  (It went downhill later, but that’s a different story.)  Then I met a guy who was in a Ph.D program and started dating him.  And although he is in a field I would advise against getting a Ph.D in, it did remind me that I wanted to go back.  And he was there to answer the 3 billion questions I had, and make going to school seem more in reach.  So I applied a few places,  and got in.  Boy and I have since broken up, but at least he pointed me in the right direction, and gave me a random appreciation of Baylor football.   Go figure.  The point is, it was always in the back of my mind, and I knew I wouldn't be happy unless I was in academia.   I have some good credentials in industry,  but when it came down to it, I needed something different than where a career in industry would take me.

Edited by Cheshire_Cat

17 hours ago, Cheshire_Cat said:

A boy.  Haha.  So really, my dad is a Ph.D and I always thought I would get one.  But then I moved off to get experience in industry, and life was comfortable.   Work was not terrible, I  didn't like having to be there from 9-5 each day, but it was manageable.  (It went downhill later, but that’s a different story.)  Then I met a guy who was in a Ph.D program and started dating him.  And although he is in a field I would advise against getting a Ph.D in, it did remind me that I wanted to go back.  And he was there to answer the 3 billion questions I had, and make going to school seem more in reach.  So I applied a few places,  and got in.  Boy and I have since broken up, but at least he pointed me in the right direction, and gave me a random appreciation of Baylor football.   Go figure.  The point is, it was always in the back of my mind, and I knew I wouldn't be happy unless I was in academia.   I have some good credentials in industry,  but when it came down to it, I needed something different than where a career in industry would take me.

Happy, the boy was a supportive person that helped you on your Ph.D journey.  

• 3 weeks later...

Going into teaching and getting that real world experience with ESL students was what really pushed me to pursue a PhD, along with personal experience. I began school in the U.S. knowing very limited English and this continued until I met probably the best teacher I ever had in the 4th grade who really pushed me and never allowed me to give up. She was able to instill a love in me for science which up until then, was my worst subject in school (mostly because I didn't understand all the jargon-type language). It was because of her and getting able to teach these exact same students as a teacher myself why I want to pursue doctoral studies. I want to make sure teachers are equipped with all the knowledge and tools necessary to make sure that all students whose first language is not English, have an equal opportunity to succeed in school.

Because despite the fact that gaining a PhD will not offer me a 6 unit salary, I can't imagine doing anything else.For me, a PhD is a way to change ideas and theories...while doing something practical on the side (teaching). I will be attending this Fall and while I am a little nervous because it means living near the poverty line for the next 5-7 years, I am excited to do something that none of my immediate family members have had the opportunity to do. Its hard especially since my family has never been financially stable (kind of tired of not never having enough money to do necessary things)...but really, I can't imagine going to law school or getting my MPP...I guess I always take the hard road!

There's no one single "moment" for me, so I'll just tell a story.

When I started college, I didn't think I wanted to go to grad school. I didn't know what grad school was and I thought research was something I could never do. In my sophomore year, I saw a senior talk about her undergrad thesis and thought that was really cool. I tried to get research work that summer but was not successful. In my junior year, I joined the school's co-op program to get work experience and one of my profs that fall asked if I wanted to work on research with him that summer. I tried it and it was really great---I continued the co-op program and did 16 months of only research and then finished my undergrad degree. At this time, I knew I liked research and my undergrad advisor explained how grad school worked (e.g. you get paid!) and how to apply etc. I started in a 2-year Masters program and when it was time to choose whether or not to apply to PhD programs, I thought about all the factors and decided to go for it. The main factors that led me to a PhD program were: 1) the work I am really passionate about would require a PhD and also 2) even if I don't end up in the career path I am aiming for, a PhD will still help me find other careers that would make me happy. So, I felt like it was the right risk to take and that I would be unhappy with myself if I didn't try! But leading up to that decision was all the years of good mentorship from faculty members that took the time (and sometimes the risk) to mentor me and show me how academia worked.

On 1/27/2016 at 11:03 AM, Threeboysmom said:

There's a lot to consider when you have a family and other obligations so taking on a Ph.D at this time would be a huge sacrifice for my family but I think I would be happy in the end.

imo, happiness is everything.
It is pretty much the thing that persuaded me I should pursue a PhD. This may sound vague. So allow me to specify: after my MA I took 1 year off to apply and think. I brainstormed what a PhD would bring me and what other career paths might, and also what are the big things I'd like to accomplish in my life. Wild things, regardless of how and when. Brainstormed that for several months. Turned out, PhD was the way to go to achieve most of these things. Also, smaller considerations, such as personality fit with career, played in favor of PhD. So it was a combination of: immediate love of doing research + potential for getting closer to lifetime goals

Edited by random_grad

My mom died and three days later I was awarded a prestigious national science scholarship. That week tipped me over the edge in deciding to get my PhD. I started college as pre-med, but I was on the fence about it. My mom had terminal cancer, and I think that played a role in wanting to become a doctor. But there was little that they could do for her, while research offered the chance to actually change what options were available. But I also needed the confidence that I could actually succeed as a researcher. Receiving the scholarship did that, as well as what my mom wrote in her obituary. (Yes, she wrote her own obituary. Occupational hazard of being a pastor and writer, I think.) She said that I "will win a Nobel prize and would look good in a dress." Notice which one is the hypothetical. (I'm still something of a tomboy). Of course she's going to say something like that - she's my mom! But it was one more piece that finally tipped the scales.

Since then, my interests have evolved and I'm going in a somewhat different direction with my research, but after that the PhD path seemed set for me, like I'd finally figured out where I was going. It was kind of a relief.

My child played a huge role when I decided to pursue a PhD. I thought I'd get the MA and teach high school, but I fell in love with research and postsecondary education and knew I wouldn't be happy doing anything else (after trying other things, so it wasn't an abstract decision). I don't want my daughter to settle in a job that makes her miserable but pays her well, so I'd be the worst kind of hypocrite to do so myself. Might as well pursue what I'm passionate about for 5-7 years and get paid to do it--even if I fail at getting a TT job, I still will have completed something meaningful to me that I hope my daughter can appreciate. No careers are certain, some are just more uncertain. I'll find a job somewhere, maybe not where I want doing what I want, but I wouldn't even have a shot if I didn't take this path. 

You really need to think about what will make you happy, if you'll regret never attempting to pursue a PhD. I don't know about you, but I don't want many regrets weighing me down when it's all said and done. Go in with eyes wide open when it comes to the job market for your field and the struggles ahead, and if you still think a PhD is for you, I say go for it.

Thanks for sharing guys!  I can see that some of you had a profound set of circumstances that pushed you to take your educational goals higher.   ashiepoo72 I like your perspective about not looking back and having regret.  That's huge, I don't need anymore regrets in my life.  Thanks agian.

• 2 weeks later...

I had an undergraduate major I loved but could not practice professionally because a BA wasn't enough.  I had a decent job in administration but did not love it.  I really wanted to be a historian and couldn't settle.  I haven't regretted even for a second.   Now that I'm in the program, I'm open-minded about career choices upon completion (considering the state of the academic job market).

Edited by Chiqui74

I have become more and more a person who tries to understand the universe from an interaction point of view. When I was in high school I took a nuclear engineering and robotics class that really expanded my mind. I saw first hand what engineers do, and the skills that I would need to become a robotics engineer. At that time, the thought of a PhD never came into focus. Nevertheless, I went off to college where I studied physics and astronomy. I was really amazed at the elegance of physical equations and their descriptions of physical phenomena.  I graduate from a liberal arts college this may 2016'. I have developed and refined many of my passions, but now my desire for building robots will be enhanced by my knowledge of physics, programming, and calculus. I will more than 90 percent likely be attending the UF for my PhD in mechanical and aerospace engineering. What is doing the convincing now is that all of the indicators in my life our pointing in this direction. It's like a funnel that is taking me along this path, and of course I can escape the funnel if I thought that was necessary. I have chosen to take this ride, and I believe this is how I CAN do something meaningful with my set of skills and something I'm passionate about. 

The biggest factor for me was taking a leap of faith and believing in myself. I could say a lot about the common reasons, such as passion, career prospects, etc, but I had ruled out a PhD program until September of last year because I thought I couldn't do it. It would be "too hard" and stressful. Everywhere I went, all my mentors (some with masters in a field I would pursue--closely related to my field, some with PhDs in the field I am pursuing) would say "why not?" I didn't have a good enough reason to beyond "I'm scared". As I'm currently a senior in college, I looked at my friends including recent grads, and how they were applying to med, law, and PhD programs. What made them so much different, or "better" than me? I thought, if my friends could go for it, so can I. So I applied (though some people including my academic advisor were doubtful about my chances as a college senior), got 5 interviews of 7 applications. Got all 5 waitlists, and then subsequent rejections as all the spots had been filled. But one school, coincidentally my top choice, accepted me and I will be attending in the fall. I'm still in shock and will probably randomly break out in tears someday soon. Me, the scared undergrad who thought they couldn't hack a PhD program, will soon be a doctoral student. I'm glad I took the plunge, and all the app fees and flight costs were worth it, because now I don't have to wonder "what if". I went through a huge personal transformation during this last year of college that was/is at times emotionally trying. 

The only advice for others who are thinking about a PhD -- be realistic about the challenges a PhD program can put in your path, but believe in yourself first and foremost. 

Edited by artsy16

I am a complicated individual. Everyone is really, but I feel like I am more complicated than most. Let's start with choosing my field. When I was younger, I was interested in nature (a bit broad, but there were many different aspects), astronomy, computers, and writing. I got a lot of discouragement along the STEM lines. The biggest discouragement was in math - once I hit algebra, my parents couldn't help me with my homework anymore, the school didn't have any sort of after school help, teachers didn't have time to devote me and actually made me feel like I was too stupid for math and science (except for one teacher who really encouraged me), and online homework help didn't exist yet (it was the mid-90's). So I gravitated towards language and writing which came easy to me, and I was highly encouraged. I ended up getting into computers and coding by the end of high school, so that's what I initially went to college for - computer science. But once I got there, I realized how much math and science went along with the degree and I panicked. I aced my computer science courses, but I really suffered in math and I really had this thought in my head that I couldn't do it, and I switched majors before I got to the science courses. Long story short, I flip flopped between several majors, some in computers, some in the humanities, and I honestly didn't think I would even get my B.S. Then I finally decided to take a chance on studying something I had always been interested in but thought I was too stupid for - environmental biology.

So I did really well and the department and school I was in was so supportive and  positive. However, there was still this expectation by my family and a lot of people I knew that I would graduate and sit behind a desk somewhere and do the 9 - 5 thing. Since I was studying biology, maybe they expected a little outdoor work, too, but research or an advanced degree? No way, I was supposed to get a job (I can't tell you how many times my mom told me to just get a job after graduation). Lucky for me, my professors steered me towards graduate school (and explained what it even was and that you could get paid) and helped mentor me in research. My first taste of research was an ecology course with a lab during the second year of my program where we did an allelopathy experiment and wrote it up as a research paper. It was also my first experience reading journals articles and that's when I really started to understand what research entailed. By the time I got to my third and final year of the program, I knew I wanted to do ecological research as a career. I decided then that I wanted a PhD, but I ended up getting a masters first. There was still some discouragement on part of my family and my husband against going for my PhD after getting my masters (everybody just wanted me to get a job and settle down), but I really wanted to go all the way, especially since only one person in my entire extended family has a graduate degree (my brother has an MBA) and only three of my siblings have undergraduate degrees (none of my aunts, uncles, or cousins do except for one second cousin who coincidentally graduated with me from undergrad). I could get the job I want with just a masters, but it's important to me to get a PhD and I probably will make more money in the long run.

I was actually sat at a swim-up bar in Dubai when I had the "lightbulb" moment. I'd just finished working at a holiday resort in Greece as a general lackey - it was great fun but HARD work - and had received an acceptance to do the conversion course to become a physiotherapist in Australia. While I was talking this through with the bar tender, he asked why I wanted to work with old people all day. I realised that I don't have enough of the caring bedside manner to be a practicing physiotherapist, and I was interested in the sports side and I loved the science behind it. When I got home I started researching programs that would allow me to investigate the science behind rehabilitating injuries. The more I thought about it, the more a PhD made sense. It fits my lifestyle, it fits my need to be intellectually challenged, it's fits my passion and it would allow a relatively nomadic lifestyle for a few years if I wanted it. So I applied to US schools, to get more experience living abroad, to work with some of the leaders in my field and I can't believe I'm going! I've never been one driven by money - sure I'd like to make enough to not have to worry about living month to month and to be able to own a house, and at some point raise a family, but for me life is about adventure, knowledge and experiences, and a PhD offers that for me.

Following this thread. I came into my MS with the intention of doing the program in two years, taking comps (instead of thesis), doing my internship, and sitting for national certification. Then I started doing a project for my GA position (in an admin office on campus, kinda related to my degree) that sparked an interest in researching a specific subfield and I was fascinated. I've found myself ordering and reading books on my field for fun! (and casual research, but mainly because I like the content), and I have a great grasp of what is taught in our classes. I find myself in classes and while studying wondering how could teach X-topic or trying to absorb how my instructors are conveying information. I wish I'd taken the research sequence this year, but I didn't really decide on doing a thesis until a month or two ago. So I'll take the research sequence next fall & spring and then finish my thesis next summer or fall. I've been geeking out on doctoral programs in my field -- there are no more than 10 or so -- and know where my interests may fit, despite that I probably wouldn't enroll until fall '18 (at the earliest), but more likely fall '19 or fall '20 if i take a year or two to work in the field, this time with certification. I've always been on over-planner. Maybe work as a research assistant somewhere before applying. I don't know.  

It's exciting to think about a PhD. It's also one of the more terrifying propositions I've ever dealt with. Nobody in my immediate or extended (as far as I know) family has a doctorate, so that would be cool. But I'm also just really, really into my field and this particular subset of it. I'm nervous to tell my MS adviser, but I don't know why. My school doesn't offer anything beyond Masters degrees, and honestly I don't think too many from my dept go on for further study. We get along great and have had some great, intellectually stimulating conversations; I just don't want to get all excited and then hear "I don't think you'd be a great fit for a PhD".

A little bit by accident - I originally intended to become a high school guidance counselor. I knew I would need an M.Ed to do that and when I saw an advertisement to work with a professor in a paid RA-ship on child motor development, I thought it might be interesting and also help me get into the M.Ed program. As you can probably guess, I ended up really loving the process of research, and decided that I wanted a career in it. That professor also happened to be the assistant director of an undergraduate research fellowship at my college, and she encouraged me to apply; I did that for my junior year of college and decided that I wanted to get a PhD and pursue a research career. I was the first person in my family to get a bachelor's, so they were a bit confused when I wanted to go to "more school," but were generally supportive.

I did want to be an old curmudgeon, though, and talk about regret/happiness. Basically, my opinion is that no one should get/finish a PhD they think they're going to regret not having one later.

I'm a psychologist, and psychological research into happiness and emotion shows that people are absolutely terrible at predicting how they are going to feel in the future, especially further out than a couple of weeks. I think many people assume that they will regret never doing a PhD if it's something they wanted to do, and some of them may be right. I think a lot of people also just envision how they will feel when they finish - they imagine this feeling of elation and pure fulfillment when they finish. I'm sure everyone feels differently, but I didn't feel any of that when I finished. I just felt exhausted, and a bit daunted by what was to come re: postdoc and academic market. I defended in August of 2014, almost two years ago, and when people ask me if I would do it all over again I don't have an answer for them.

Anyway, the only reason I bring this up is because we're so bad at predicting emotions, I don't think a future prediction of how you might feel if you did or didn't do the PhD should factor that strongly into your decision to do one or not. It should instead be an evaluation of what you want to do for your career and whether a PhD would be necessary or useful for that career. (And I'm not saying you should value happiness in the career you've chosen - aka whether or not you'd be happy doing research as a professor or industry scientist, or whether you'd enjoy the flexibility and mobility the career you want provides, etc. I'm saying that don't bank on the simply having the PhD in and of itself bringing a great deal of happiness that makes the work worth it.)

I decided to go to grad school while I was working in medical research. I liked the work a lot, but medicine can be very hierarchical. I reached a point where it was going to be hard to get any more responsibility, or even recognition for work I was actually doing, without a degree. I picked epidemiology because I like study design and analysis and I wanted to make sure I was positioned to fill that role on teams in the future. I liked my plans B and C for using the degree, too.

After getting about halfway through the MS I had decided to stay for a PhD because it seemed like a practical way to do the work I want to do. I prefer the job options with a PhD, and I don't want to leave and come back again. My program and mentor have been great, and I have a clear way to extend the concept behind my MS thesis, so I have a good sense of what the work will be and how I will finish. My RA jobs are also similar to what I would hope to get if I left, so I feel that I'm doing the same work but with the opportunity to run my own project and earn a degree.

I believe this really has to be a career decision because depending on the field, the opportunity costs of attending can be huge. Doing the MS was a great choice for me and I think it was because I've approached it like a job. It's tempting to attach hopes and dreams and ego to the decision, but I think that is how people get stars in their eyes and pursue degrees they really don't need.