2016 MFA Interview Thread

gtakaoka

4 hours ago, altiplano said:

My issue is, I'm from south Texas and I've never been around snow. There might be snow in New England the first week of March. And this is making me far more nervous than the interview itself. I don't know exactly what to wear, I'll have to go buy the proper attire. Do people wear long underwear for this sort of weather? I think I saw that on tv once. I'm truly lost. 

I'm from southern Arkansas and I understand the whole snow fear thing (wasn't around it till college)! My interviews are in 2 weeks and I've been checking the weather nonstop. 

Fly in early just in case there are delays with your flights. I personally wouldn't suggest driving, since its really scary and hard if you're not used to it (remember snowmageddon last year that blew across dallas? That shit was awful my office was closed for a week and people were stuck on the highway overnight.). Also if possible schedule interviews in the same week/few days so you only have to make one trip. Snow gear isn't a must, but good, water proof shoes are! And if you want to wear heels, pack them in like a purse and then when you hang up your coat you can change your shoes. 

I wouldn't do long underwear, since it gets real hot inside with it on, but a good hat and gloves are definitely something good to have. Also hand warmers if its super cold, those things are great! Layering is amazing like 2222222 said. Good luck with your interviews!!

2 minutes ago, Barber said:

I'm from southern Arkansas and I understand the whole snow fear thing (wasn't around it till college)! My interviews are in 2 weeks and I've been checking the weather nonstop. 

Fly in early just in case there are delays with your flights. I personally wouldn't suggest driving, since its really scary and hard if you're not used to it (remember snowmageddon last year that blew across dallas? That shit was awful my office was closed for a week and people were stuck on the highway overnight.). Also if possible schedule interviews in the same week/few days so you only have to make one trip. Snow gear isn't a must, but good, water proof shoes are! And if you want to wear heels, pack them in like a purse and then when you hang up your coat you can change your shoes. 

I wouldn't do long underwear, since it gets real hot inside with it on, but a good hat and gloves are definitely something good to have. Also hand warmers if its super cold, those things are great! Layering is amazing like 2222222 said. Good luck with your interviews!!

thank you!

11 hours ago, gtakaoka said:

Sending good vibes your way!! Remember that you've already made a good impression on them, since they asked you to interview in the first place :).

Thank you!! I feel like I totally bombed it and ended up sounding so inarticulate when talking about my work, but the faculty members were very personable which was nice, at least. They definitely made me think about my work and what my actual artistic concerns are - which is great! - but I felt like their insights were SO different than what I was communicating. I'm just hoping I didn't totally screw my chances.

Edited by ashleighxcult

@altiplanoChances are good you'll spend most of your time indoors, in which case just about every place will be ridiculously over-heated! (I had the opposite experience of packing my lightest summer clothes for my very first trip to Texas one July, and just about froze to death under the ever-present air conditioning). So I second 2222222's advice: if you have a warm coat or jacket, and a sweater you can wear under that, then your regular clothes under that, you should do fine. And warm, dry feet are essential, so thick socks and reasonably waterproof shoes/boots are always a good idea. Good luck with your interview!

I just got off the phone with the printmaking chair at CCA and the one question he asked that this thread didn't prepare me for was "Why make prints when you can simply draw or paint." Luckily I had a few arguments about this during undergrad so I was able to get through it. It's pretty media specific and he was just playing devil's advocate, but I thought I would share. 

Otherwise yes, he asked if I applied to other programs (was able to get through by just saying how many), why this school over others, what the underpinning concepts of my work are, what artists I'm into, etc. I mostly got stumped bc I visited the school two years ago for SGCI and didn't remember if I met any faculty or what the demos were that I enjoyed ;s he was pretty cool about it though. 

The 'have questions prepared' advice was really good. I asked if recent alumni stayed in the area or ventured elsewhere, what the grad student to faculty ratio is, and I found a course that I wanted more information about in the curriculum that he happened to be teaching, so that really got him talking. 

I had a Skype interview last week and one question that they asked that I found interesting was, "what was the last show you saw that had a profound effect on you?" It surprised me a little, but I thought it was a great question in that it gave me a chance to talk about art I like and demonstrate my style of critique/discussion. Other than that it was a very standard feeling interview. I was thankful I had prepared some questions in advance--definitely helped the conversation to feel more productive and two sided. 

Just had my UChicago interview--which I think went fairly well aside from them being squeamish about answering, what I thought, was a fairly general question about what they find compelling in contemporary art right now...it turned out that it was too personal of a question for some of them to answer? I honestly hadn't thought of it that way and felt pretty uncomfortable/embarrassed about it afterwards. Other than that, it was good. The grad student that was there was really nice too. 

I'll just make sure to mark that off my list of things to ask. haha. 

Edited by cpw0021

Some interview questions I just got from my interview yesterday:

How did you go from your background (not art) to wanting to get an Art MFA?

How does your work fit into (specific modern art trends)?

Who is one artist that really resonated with you?

What would you want to accomplish during graduate school? 

On February 16, 2016 at 0:13 PM, cpw0021 said:

Just had my UChicago interview--which I think went fairly well aside from them being squeamish about answering, what I thought, was a fairly general question about what they find compelling in contemporary art right now...it turned out that it was too personal of a question for some of them to answer? I honestly hadn't thought of it that way and felt pretty uncomfortable/embarrassed about it afterwards. Other than that, it was good. The grad student that was there was really nice too. 

I'll just make sure to mark that off my list of things to ask. haha. 

That seems so odd! Especially since many schools ask prospective students to answer the same question (or something similar).  I wouldn't be embarrassed or uncomfortable about having asked them, I feel like that would actually be very relevant to how they would approach instruction in the program itself.

3 hours ago, ashleighxcult said:

That seems so odd! Especially since many schools ask prospective students to answer the same question (or something similar).  I wouldn't be embarrassed or uncomfortable about having asked them, I feel like that would actually be very relevant to how they would approach instruction in the program itself.

Thanks. I've mentioned other artists who said the same thing as you as well. So, I won't worry too much about it. I saw someone from UChicago looked at my website the following day. I wonder who it was? 

Overall it was a good experience, I think I responded to their questions well. Anyway, I'll have the decision in a week or two--so.....we'll see! 

12 minutes ago, roll no.47 said:

what do they expect when you are allowed to ask ques form them?how bad it is if you end up not asking any

help

I found asking questions super important. I feel like MA interviews are part them quizzing you and part you interviewing them, what they have to offer you etc.  

I think if your super cool and have a killer port I think you could get away with no questions, like if you were super nervous. 

I realize this may be the dumbest question ever, but is it expected that we have a hard copy of our portfolio when we go in to interview? I've gotten mixed messages on this from the people I've asked. Interviewing at Hunter on March 12.

I don't know the answer, but I think if I could, I would.  As a photographer, it would be easier than for me (a painter), or say a sculptor :)

But given the opportunity to have the actual piece with me, and not have to depend on the irregularites of the internet, and different monitors, etc, I would certainly do that.

12 hours ago, sstout84 said:

I realize this may be the dumbest question ever, but is it expected that we have a hard copy of our portfolio when we go in to interview? I've gotten mixed messages on this from the people I've asked. Interviewing at Hunter on March 12.

Honestly, I would email the program and ask if you're unsure. It's not a stupid question, and you can even explain in the email that different schools seem to have very different expectations as far as what to bring to the interview so you just want to make sure. There's no way they'll go "well, you should just know the answer to that!"...and then you'll have the answer for anyone else who's going to interview at Hunter and you'll be a hero :).

12 hours ago, gtakaoka said:

Honestly, I would email the program and ask if you're unsure. It's not a stupid question, and you can even explain in the email that different schools seem to have very different expectations as far as what to bring to the interview so you just want to make sure. There's no way they'll go "well, you should just know the answer to that!"...and then you'll have the answer for anyone else who's going to interview at Hunter and you'll be a hero :).

Thanks everyone. Yesterday I emailed someone who advises prospective MFA student for the program and asked. Waiting to hear back. I'm also trying (unsuccessfully so far) to find them in person to speak. Will update when I find out.

I understand it would be to my benefit to have it regardless, but the prospect of trying to throw this together in a couple weeks is giving me hives. lol

Edited by sstout84

On February 25, 2016 at 2:26 PM, sstout84 said:

Thanks everyone. Yesterday I emailed someone who advises prospective MFA student for the program and asked. Waiting to hear back. I'm also trying (unsuccessfully so far) to find them in person to speak. Will update when I find out.

I understand it would be to my benefit to have it regardless, but the prospect of trying to throw this together in a couple weeks is giving me hives. lol

Hey there,

I'm a Hunter painting interview person and i don't know for SURE about this year, but my partner interviewed there for painting a few years ago and they were asked to bring printouts of 6 paintings. 

• 2 weeks later...
On February 27, 2016 at 0:59 AM, whoevenknows said:

Hey there,

I'm a Hunter painting interview person and i don't know for SURE about this year, but my partner interviewed there for painting a few years ago and they were asked to bring printouts of 6 paintings. 

Received confirmation this week that everyone is to bring 10 printouts no larger than 8.5 x 11 and not original work. If you use video you can bring a digital device to show it on.  But at this point anyone who is interviewing knows that. lol.

Question for some of you who might be doing "accepted student" school visits (or anyone with an opinion on it)-

What are your thoughts regarding taking significant others along during open studio/open house events? On the one hand, I want my partner to be able to check out the campus, etc. On the other hand, perhaps it's best to go on my own since they're doing tours/happy hour/stuff like that and I'm not sure if it would be awkward, or how formal things would be. 

Has anyone come up against this yet? When I did informal school visits and toured various departments, I definitely ditched the s.o. and let him fend for himself for an hour and it was fine. The open studio event I'm attending next week, however, is a multi-day affair with a lot of stuff planned. Would love to hear what some of you think!

On 3/17/2016 at 3:56 PM, gtakaoka said:

Question for some of you who might be doing "accepted student" school visits (or anyone with an opinion on it)-

What are your thoughts regarding taking significant others along during open studio/open house events? On the one hand, I want my partner to be able to check out the campus, etc. On the other hand, perhaps it's best to go on my own since they're doing tours/happy hour/stuff like that and I'm not sure if it would be awkward, or how formal things would be. 

Has anyone come up against this yet? When I did informal school visits and toured various departments, I definitely ditched the s.o. and let him fend for himself for an hour and it was fine. The open studio event I'm attending next week, however, is a multi-day affair with a lot of stuff planned. Would love to hear what some of you think!

I've thought about this issue a bit myself, as my SO came along on two of my interview trips and we made it into a getaway weekend. I'm not sure what your living plans are (are you moving to go to school school alone or together?), but I think it's important to go to the actual events alone as a proxy of what it will be like to socialize and work in the program itself. Your SO isn't going to be doing the program with you - most of your time at school you're going to be alone or with your peers so it's probably good to get used to it. I also find that it can be more difficult to freely engage with new people in these situations when you're there as a couple. That's my take anyway. I'm not sure there's a right answer!