Competitive?

kevinmac

Hi all,

I'm currently applying to MLS programs for the Fall 2010. I plan on applying to Illinois, Indiana, and Maryland. None of these programs require the GRE, and that made me wonder how competitive is acceptance into these (and any) MLS programs. Without factoring in a standardized test of any kind I feel pretty confident -- I just graduated in 2009 with majors in History and Spanish and a minor in Economics and a GPA of 3.97/4.0. I think my recommenders will write me strong letters and I have research experience, but limited professional experience. Do those of you experienced with the admissions process at library schools think I have a good shot at admission? What about financial assistance?

Thanks for the help,

-- Kevin

I currently attend an ALA-accredited program that requires the GRE (Michigan). IMO, the most important part of the application is your essays and personal statement. Make sure you articulate clearly why you want the MLIS degree and why their particular program is a good fit. Schools will look for these clues. I wouldn't say they are very competitive, but students do get rejection letters simply because they didn't articulate their interests well.

Edited by michigan girl

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

I'm currently applying to MLS programs for the Fall 2010. I plan on applying to Illinois, Indiana, and Maryland. None of these programs require the GRE, and that made me wonder how competitive is acceptance into these (and any) MLS programs. Without factoring in a standardized test of any kind I feel pretty confident -- I just graduated in 2009 with majors in History and Spanish and a minor in Economics and a GPA of 3.97/4.0. I think my recommenders will write me strong letters and I have research experience, but limited professional experience. Do those of you experienced with the admissions process at library schools think I have a good shot at admission? What about financial assistance?

Thanks for the help,

-- Kevin

Programs towards the bottom of the curve aren't too competitive. You're looking at three good schools, which still aren't TOO competitive but aren't rubber stamps, either. I'd think you'll have little trouble getting into Indiana and Maryland. Illinois isn't easy as lots of people want to go to the #1 rated school, although I think your odds are good. Of course, a lot depends on your interests. While a lot can change during your time in a program, what are you planning on specializing in?

• 2 weeks later...

Programs towards the bottom of the curve aren't too competitive. You're looking at three good schools, which still aren't TOO competitive but aren't rubber stamps, either. I'd think you'll have little trouble getting into Indiana and Maryland. Illinois isn't easy as lots of people want to go to the #1 rated school, although I think your odds are good. Of course, a lot depends on your interests. While a lot can change during your time in a program, what are you planning on specializing in?

My current plan is to focus on Social Informatics/Community Informatics with the end goal of working in the governmental or nonprofit sectors. I feel relatively secure in my chances at gaining admission to any of the schools, I spent my undergrad thinking I would pursue graduate history studies and I worked really hard to put together a good resume. What worries me more is paying for school. I'm from Chicago, so the only school I could consider without receiving any aid would be Illinois. I'm just crossing my fingers that someone will give me a financial offer I can't refuse. Unfortunately, that doesn't seem to happen too often.

I know you are worried about financial aid, but I would highly consider applying to UIUC, Dominican, and Michigan. Those are the three schools with the strongest Community Informatics programs. Master's programs are usually not very generous with financial aid. If you improve your GRE scores and essays, it can increase your chances for a grant/scholarship. The Michigan degree will also help you in the policy/government arena (connections, money, national prestige).

Edited by michigan girl

My current plan is to focus on Social Informatics/Community Informatics with the end goal of working in the governmental or nonprofit sectors. I feel relatively secure in my chances at gaining admission to any of the schools, I spent my undergrad thinking I would pursue graduate history studies and I worked really hard to put together a good resume. What worries me more is paying for school. I'm from Chicago, so the only school I could consider without receiving any aid would be Illinois. I'm just crossing my fingers that someone will give me a financial offer I can't refuse. Unfortunately, that doesn't seem to happen too often.

Actually, good sir, we have a lot in common. I'm from Illinois as well and faced financial considerations no less severe than your own (similar backstory, too). I didn't get into Illinois, but on the bright side, it wasn't my first choice! I'm actually at UT (which WAS my first choice), which gave me a generous heaping of financial aid - although I should disclose that even if they hadn't, it would still cost less to go here as out of state than it would to go in-state to Illinois.

I think you might be pleasantly surprised at what programs will throw your way. On the surface many programs in this field seem expensive, and as a masters student you can't expect anything close to a free ride, but a lot of schools will give you some small measure of help. If somebody takes your out of state tuition off the board, they're basically running dead even with Illinois - so apply to the places you want to go with confidence, and worry about the rest when you have to make a decision on actually going somewhere.

• 1 month later...

I've already heard back now from Indiana and UMD (still waiting on UIUC), and got accepted at both. I'm a little bit amazed at the quick turnaround, as I only submitted my apps a little over a week ago. I was wondering if anyone has experience with when aid decisions might be coming out? The Maryland letter says that they want a response by March 1, which seems a little unreasonable to me since I'm sure I wont know the entire financial picture by that point.

I've already heard back now from Indiana and UMD (still waiting on UIUC), and got accepted at both. I'm a little bit amazed at the quick turnaround, as I only submitted my apps a little over a week ago. I was wondering if anyone has experience with when aid decisions might be coming out? The Maryland letter says that they want a response by March 1, which seems a little unreasonable to me since I'm sure I wont know the entire financial picture by that point.

A little over a week ago? Really?

I'm not doubting your qualifications, but I've been wondering if because last year was so tight, no one applied this year and they'll take anyone...

It sounds really fast, like University of Pheonix fast...

A little over a week ago? Really?

I'm not doubting your qualifications, but I've been wondering if because last year was so tight, no one applied this year and they'll take anyone...

It sounds really fast, like University of Pheonix fast...

Yeah, I'm pretty blown away by how fast they got back to me. I think I have a strong application, but it seems like they hardly had any time to even look at it. Overall, like you said, it makes them seem less legitimate, like a for-profit institution. Well, I don't mind a quick acceptance if they're willing to back it up with a little financing.

Yeah, I'm pretty blown away by how fast they got back to me. I think I have a strong application, but it seems like they hardly had any time to even look at it. Overall, like you said, it makes them seem less legitimate, like a for-profit institution. Well, I don't mind a quick acceptance if they're willing to back it up with a little financing.

Well, it is what it is. Good for you.

You like social informatics, iPhones and Facebook and the like? I've learned last week that there are proffs that study that sort of thing.

I got turned down Fall 2009, but got accepted for Spring 2010 and am starting class tomorrow! It's pretty surreal that I'm actually in grad school!

Cheers!

• 4 weeks later...

I applied to UIUC--according to an e-mail I received after submitting my application, they are expecting to mail out decisions mid-March to early April. I think I have a pretty strong application overall, so hoping to get in. Definitely hoping for some kind of financial assistance from any of the schools I applied to, as I would be happy to go to any of them. I applied to the top five Library & Info Science schools, which are also top five in the concentration I'm most interested in (digital library studies/information preservation). UIUC was the only school that did not require GRE scores, and I'm grateful because my scores weren't stellar. Other than that, I've got a pretty solid GPA, some solid professional experience (over a year as an assistant archivist), what I believe to be a focused SOP, and some solid recommendations. Let me know if you hear anything from UIUC. I'm also curious to know when you hear anything regarding funding from any of your schools. I've been accepted to three/six, but haven't heard anything on funding yet. Not sure if I'm supposed to expect to hear something later or if the acceptance is all I'm getting. Good luck!

Edited by worrywort

Just to clarify -- I did take the GRE (I had earlier History grad school thoughts) and I submitted my scores, but I just happened to apply to three schools that don't require them.

I contacted the two schools at which I was accepted, Maryland and Indiana, regarding financial aid. Maryland was an absolute mess -- they said they didn't know when aid information would go out, but they wanted me to accept or reject their offer by March 1. So I've pretty much written Maryland off completely. Indiana was very positive and told me that I am an excellent candidate for financial aid and that notifications will go out in early to mid-April.

I haven't heard anything from U of Illinois, other than what you've heard. I'll keep you posted on what I do hear, though.

-- Kevin

Hi Kevin,

I only applied to UMD. I want to do a joint degree in Archives and History. I just barely made the 2/1/10 deadline. GRE requirement was waived because I already have a graduate degree, but I went ahead and submitted my scores (V:590, Q:780). My undergrad GPA is 3.56 and my graduate GPA is 3.7. I really, really hope I get in. Maybe I should select a back-up school.

Hi Kevin,

I only applied to UMD. I want to do a joint degree in Archives and History. I just barely made the 2/1/10 deadline. GRE requirement was waived because I already have a graduate degree, but I went ahead and submitted my scores (V:590, Q:780). My undergrad GPA is 3.56 and my graduate GPA is 3.7. I really, really hope I get in. Maybe I should select a back-up school.

Hey Heather,

I didn't mean to imply anything about the actual program at Maryland by my previous comments. I do like the program, that's one of the reasons I applied. My complaint is how they run the admissions process. It's one thing not to know when financial information will be going out, but I found it absolutely unreasonable to require a decision from me by March 1. Not only can I not make an informed decision without financial information, but I wont even have heard back from UIUC by March 1.

It sounds like you have a really solid application. I would think that since you have experienced success in a graduate program before you are starting with a leg up on competition coming directly out of undergrad.

I applied in the middle of January, and it only took about a week for me to hear back (by mail, so they only had my application a couple of days before they sent out a decision). Since you applied right at the deadline I would imagine that there would be a little more of a backlog and it would take longer. Best of luck to you,

-- Kevin

I just got an email the other day from Illinois asking to schedule a time to talk with faculty, but I decided to withdraw my application.

Was this as a master's applicant? Would you be willing to shed any more light on why you decided to withdraw your app, and what exactly the e-mail said?

Also, what would be the best way to inquire about funding from schools you've already been accepted to?

I applied to five library schools : Illinois,Indiana, Pittsburgh, Washington and Arizona.

I went to go visit Illinois last weekend. I can see why they are number one. I learned so much from my visit that I am wishing to go there more now.

I have not heard back from anywhere yet although it is early. Anyone in the same boat?

I applied to five library schools : Illinois,Indiana, Pittsburgh, Washington and Arizona.

I went to go visit Illinois last weekend. I can see why they are number one. I learned so much from my visit that I am wishing to go there more now.

I have not heard back from anywhere yet although it is early. Anyone in the same boat?

I have yet to hear back from any schools. I applied to Simmons, U Michigan, U Maryland, Washington, and Catholic U of America.

I'm planning on visiting them second week of march - unless they reject me before then!

Some of my friends (from sciency majors) told me to wait until they accepted me to actually go visit (cause they might offer to pay for a flight out?). I don't think this field is competitive or lucrative enough for them to do that, though. Any thoughts?

I have yet to hear back from any schools. I applied to Simmons, U Michigan, U Maryland, Washington, and Catholic U of America.

I'm planning on visiting them second week of march - unless they reject me before then!

Some of my friends (from sciency majors) told me to wait until they accepted me to actually go visit (cause they might offer to pay for a flight out?). I don't think this field is competitive or lucrative enough for them to do that, though. Any thoughts?

I know bigger state schools have the funding to bring students in for a visit. I was talking with Washington the other and the admissions counselor did mention flying in two students from New York last year. They ultimately ended up at Washington so for them it was a win-win.

I'm not sure what the etiquette is in asking a school to visit them once you have been admitted.

I know bigger state schools have the funding to bring students in for a visit. I was talking with Washington the other and the admissions counselor did mention flying in two students from New York last year. They ultimately ended up at Washington so for them it was a win-win.

I'm not sure what the etiquette is in asking a school to visit them once you have been admitted.

Hmm interesting.

On the GOOD NEWS side. I got an e-mail of acceptance from U Michigan today! They have a weekend visit set up, but I think that i'll be busy attending a wedding that weekend. They said that if I wanted to visit at another time, though, they could set that up as well....

So... we'll see! :)

Hmm interesting.

On the GOOD NEWS side. I got an e-mail of acceptance from U Michigan today! They have a weekend visit set up, but I think that i'll be busy attending a wedding that weekend. They said that if I wanted to visit at another time, though, they could set that up as well....

Congrats on the acceptance. Was this for a Phd or MA? Do you mind putting up your stats so we can judge compare our chances? Thanks!

Edited by In4mation

Hmm interesting.

Congratulations!!!! :) :) :)

• 2 weeks later...

To those who have gotten into Michigan- Have you heard anything about funding for their Masters program?

I was accepted to the Master's program. And No. I haven't heard anything, yet about funding!!

My GPA is like 3.3

GRE - a bit above 1000

but I have a lot of experience, studied abroad, i'm a management major, english and asian studies minor, and I have some pretty stellar recommendation letters.