Can you accept an offer but reject it later?

GirlFromToronto

Question

I applied to 5 grad schools. They are all schools that I would enjoy going to. Got an offer of acceptance from one of them and I accepted it. To be honest, I didn't think I would get accepted anywhere so I got excited and accepted the offer. However, 4 other schools won't respond till late March and April. If for some reason I get accepted to the other schools can I reject the offer? I really like all the school that I applied to and I honestly did not think I would get accepted elsewhere. 

9 answers to this question

You are not legally obligated to attend the school you accepted. 

However, you will damage yourself professionally by backing out of commitments like this. I know it's too late for this one, but in the future, you should never accept an offer until you are ready to give up or decline all other applications!

I think you have two options now:

1. Tell the school that you accepted that you acted too soon and would like more time to think about your offer.

2. Do nothing, and see if you get into the other schools. If another school makes you a better offer, and you think it's worth the harm of backing out of your commitment, you should do what's best for you and back out of your commitment.

I highly highly recommend path #1. By doing #2 you are hurting any future opportunities with this school. If your field is small, the professors may remember you and it can hurt you in the future too. Also, because you told this school that you will attend, they probably already saved a spot for you so by waiting until March/April to back out of your acceptance, you are taking up a spot that could have been offered to someone else (but now they cannot because they thought you were coming) and they may not be able to get someone else they wanted because they saved the spot for you. Again, it's up to you but I would highly recommend the honest route and admit that you were too hasty in making your original decision and ask for more time to make a choice (maybe ask for an extension until April 15).

14 hours ago, alberber said:

I am pretty sure you can change your decision. How else would students on the waitlist change their schools when they do get accepted to the school of their choice? They must have already accepted another school's offer by then.

A lot of waitlist movement happens before April 15, and it is my understanding that these students have not yet accepted an offer.

Also, yes, a lot of movement happens after April 15 too. What my understanding is that let's say you are waitlisted at Top Choice School A and have an offer from Second Choice School B. If you are hoping to get into School A after April 15, instead of accepting School B's offer, the right thing to do would be to ask School B for an extension to say, April 22, in case spots open up at School A after students decline School A on April 15. Only if School B refuses your extension request should you accept School B and then wait and see what happens with A.

At least, this is the norm in my field; I understand that different communities may have different norms!

I don't think you're legally obligated to stick with the place you accepted - that wouldn't seem right. but I don't really know for sure.

How do you know the other 4 schools won't tell you anything till March or April? Did the tell you that directly? Because honestly, the fact that you haven't heard anything from them at this point is definitely not good news and usually means a rejection. Or did you already interview at these other schools?

9 hours ago, quanto said:

I don't think you're legally obligated to stick with the place you accepted - that wouldn't seem right. but I don't really know for sure.

How do you know the other 4 schools won't tell you anything till March or April? Did the tell you that directly? Because honestly, the fact that you haven't heard anything from them at this point is definitely not good news and usually means a rejection. Or did you already interview at these other schools?

Well I am from Canada and they usually tell students Mid-March or April I spoke to the admissions. I applied to 3 schools in Canada and got into 1 of my choices. And the other 2 they won't tell you until late March or April. I applied to 1 school in Europe and another in U.S. these schools both told me they won't start giving out decisions until March 15 onwards. 

3 hours ago, TakeruK said:

You are not legally obligated to attend the school you accepted. 

However, you will damage yourself professionally by backing out of commitments like this. I know it's too late for this one, but in the future, you should never accept an offer until you are ready to give up or decline all other applications!

I think you have two options now:

1. Tell the school that you accepted that you acted too soon and would like more time to think about your offer.

2. Do nothing, and see if you get into the other schools. If another school makes you a better offer, and you think it's worth the harm of backing out of your commitment, you should do what's best for you and back out of your commitment.

I highly highly recommend path #1. By doing #2 you are hurting any future opportunities with this school. If your field is small, the professors may remember you and it can hurt you in the future too. Also, because you told this school that you will attend, they probably already saved a spot for you so by waiting until March/April to back out of your acceptance, you are taking up a spot that could have been offered to someone else (but now they cannot because they thought you were coming) and they may not be able to get someone else they wanted because they saved the spot for you. Again, it's up to you but I would highly recommend the honest route and admit that you were too hasty in making your original decision and ask for more time to make a choice (maybe ask for an extension until April 15).

Thank you for your honest answer! appreciate it. Yes I did accept it too soon and I regret that and I feel bad. I honestly didn't even think I was gonna get accepted but if for some reason I do get accepted elsewhere I will notify the school and let them know I acted too soon.

21 hours ago, alberber said:

I am pretty sure you can change your decision. How else would students on the waitlist change their schools when they do get accepted to the school of their choice? They must have already accepted another school's offer by then.

As TakeruK stated, a lot of movement happens before April 15 as people start rejecting offers. If you have funding, you need permission to back out and accept another offer after April 15.

On March 25, 2016 at 11:26 PM, alberber said:

Or those on waitlists after April 15 haven't accepted any offer. It's bad form to renege on an offer after April 15.

Edited by alberber