Fulbright 2017-2018

jenrd

26 minutes ago, Nirerin said:

So I called for Ireland and she said the same thing. "Generally goes out march to early April" (it is early April already!! Gah!)

She said "hopefully soon" but sounded kind of exasperated and I basically don't have hope of hearing today or the next few days either. 

Thanks for calling. 

It's crazy how anxious I was to hear back and now that I heard back and am sitting in Alternate purgatory I just want to go back to the anticipation of having not heard yet! Oh how the grass is always greener...

Edited by mrhappy895

1 hour ago, mrhappy895 said:

It's crazy how anxious I was to hear back and now that I heard back and am sitting in Alternate purgatory I just want to go back to the anticipation of having not heard yet! Oh how the grass is always greener...

You've put perfectly into words what I'm afraid of. I haven't heard back yet, but keep thinking how I just want to know NOW. But I know if I get the dreaded A or NS I'll wish I could go back to waiting. Even so, I hope they don't keep you waiting too long. 

Hi everyone, been stalking this forum for a while and heard back for Tajikistan ETA today--alternate, ugh. It's been really comforting to read all your guys' messages and hear other people stressing too!! Best of luck to those still waiting, and congrats to those of you who've been selected!! :) I'll be waiting in alternate purgatory w/all the other alternates, would love to commiserate!

Also, wanted to mention that my email subject line didn't include an A or anything indicating my status! That was kinda nice, tbh, cause I wasn't expecting it!

Hey everyone, slightly different question to most on this thread!
First, good luck to everyone waiting to hear back!
Second, I have heard back and I'm slightly concerned about the J1 two-year requirement. My Fulbright is for a PhD, and although I definitely do need the money, the amount being granted is small enough I could cover it with a loan. The idea of being banned from working in the US for 2 years at the end of my PhD sounds really problematic to creating a career in academia, especially in the US, and my advisers at my current school have told me not take the Fulbright for that reason. But on the other hand, it's really prestigious and I don't want any more debt...

Anyone been in this position / has any advice? Thanks!

2 hours ago, duckduckduckgoose said:

Hey everyone, slightly different question to most on this thread!
First, good luck to everyone waiting to hear back!
Second, I have heard back and I'm slightly concerned about the J1 two-year requirement. My Fulbright is for a PhD, and although I definitely do need the money, the amount being granted is small enough I could cover it with a loan. The idea of being banned from working in the US for 2 years at the end of my PhD sounds really problematic to creating a career in academia, especially in the US, and my advisers at my current school have told me not take the Fulbright for that reason. But on the other hand, it's really prestigious and I don't want any more debt...

Anyone been in this position / has any advice? Thanks!

@duckduckduckgoose most if not all of the people in this thread are actually US citizen applicants applying to Fulbright for universities and institutions abroad, not the other way around so not a lot of people are familiar with the J-1 visa process for Fulbrighters. However, I do have a colleague who did her PhD in the US through a Masters Fulbright. She did have a J-1 visa but was able to accept a post-doc position post PhD graduation. I think the J-1 visa (from my limited understanding as a US citizen and only hearing about her experience) main issue is from the country that issues it to you. Your country is hoping for you to return 2 years through the J-1 before you could go back to the States again. What my friend has been doing is working in a research institution in her homecountry (latin america) during winter and summer breaks and counting those periods of time towards her 2 year requirements. I think it also depends on how flexible your country is on getting those 2 years out of the way (if it has to be continuous, at what time after your PhD is completed, etc). Personally, I wouldn't let a J-1 visa stop me from accepting a Fulbright since I think it will add more to your CV than if you just come on other type of external funding. Your best bet is to talk to other Fulbright alumni from your university or country that have navigated the J-1 visa process post Fulbright.

15 minutes ago, ibette said:

@duckduckduckgoose most if not all of the people in this thread are actually US citizen applicants applying to Fulbright for universities and institutions abroad, not the other way around so not a lot of people are familiar with the J-1 visa process for Fulbrighters. However, I do have a colleague who did her PhD in the US through a Masters Fulbright. She did have a J-1 visa but was able to accept a post-doc position post PhD graduation. I think the J-1 visa (from my limited understanding as a US citizen and only hearing about her experience) main issue is from the country that issues it to you. Your country is hoping for you to return 2 years through the J-1 before you could go back to the States again. What my friend has been doing is working in a research institution in her homecountry (latin america) during winter and summer breaks and counting those periods of time towards her 2 year requirements. I think it also depends on how flexible your country is on getting those 2 years out of the way (if it has to be continuous, at what time after your PhD is completed, etc). Personally, I wouldn't let a J-1 visa stop me from accepting a Fulbright since I think it will add more to your CV than if you just come on other type of external funding. Your best bet is to talk to other Fulbright alumni from your university or country that have navigated the J-1 visa process post Fulbright.

Thank you, I had no idea this was mainly US citizens! I guess that makes a lot of sense. That's really good advice, I'll try and find some alumni and ask them. Thanks!

4 minutes ago, nire300 said:

Yeah I just have this feeling that we won't hear from Ireland this week. The woman's tone just seemed so ... unhopeful haha.

I'm so bummed. Thanks again for calling yesterday. My birthday is a week from today so really hoping I don't get rejected that day. Please come before Wednesday, Ireland!!

1 minute ago, cruxclaire said:

Is Ireland also much later than usual this year? I don't know what Germany's problem is; it hasn't been this late in years. I'm at the point where "eager anticipation" is turning to "deep annoyance."

Yes, they're 2-3 weeks later than the past few years. Quite annoyed. 

Hey everybody

New user, first time poster, just awarded ETA in Colombia for Aug 2017. 

Anyone out there applied for additional funding grants for a Fulbright? Or know of resources where I could look into it? I know the funds' *purpose* can't replicate that of the stipend, so this would be just for research, etc only, not living/miscellaneous, right? Anyone have any insight?

Thanks, and good luck to everyone!

10 minutes ago, jdarosa said:

Hey everybody

New user, first time poster, just awarded ETA in Colombia for Aug 2017. 

Anyone out there applied for additional funding grants for a Fulbright? Or know of resources where I could look into it? I know the funds' *purpose* can't replicate that of the stipend, so this would be just for research, etc only, not living/miscellaneous, right? Anyone have any insight?

Thanks, and good luck to everyone!

They give you a living stipend, so it the grant is going for that, it replicates it. Basically, you have to tell them about any extra funding and they seem to decide if it replicates.