Florida State University 2016

SisterVigilante

6 hours ago, MentalEngineer said:

Committed for a philosophy PhD last Thursday!

Congrats ^_^

4 hours ago, Cat_Robutt said:

I'm not going, but am from Tallaclassy/got M.A. from FSU––if you'd like some tips on things to do, I'd be happy to help out if I can!

That's great, thank you! Hmm...I don't know, what do think of Tallahassee? I've heard really mixed things about it; some say it's fairly dangerous, others that it's perfectly safe; some say the weather is great, others that it's hot and humid all year round (which I admit worries me...I'm from Boston)

5 minutes ago, SisterVigilante said:

Congrats ^_^

That's great, thank you! Hmm...I don't know, what do think of Tallahassee? I've heard really mixed things about it; some say it's fairly dangerous, others that it's perfectly safe; some say the weather is great, others that it's hot and humid all year round (which I admit worries me...I'm from Boston)

I lived in Florida for 6  years. Yes, it's going to be hot and humid. The humidity can make your hair look bad. It might be an adjustment for you if you're from Boston. I prefer hot, sunny places and I was born in Florida. I really liked Florida and consider it the best state I ever lived besides Arizona, which was hot without humidity. But Arizona had no beach. Could you maybe visit Tallahassee? I was accepted to FSU for undergrad but attended elsewhere. I am also interested to know what FSU is like. The only things I've really seen about it were the Jameis Winston rape case. And I never visited. I do love Florida though. I just think you will have to adjust if you go because you are worried about hot weather. It depends what you like. I lived in Miami and Boca Raton. You can try to prevent some crimes and ask locals about bad parts of town you should avoid. I carry pepper spray for safety. I also try not to walk alone at night. You could also take self-defense classes. My mom always wanted me to do that.

I actually lived in Boston before and hated it. It's interesting to see people's different living preferences. I can't imagine anyone hating hot weather or loving winter. It's so opposite of me. In winter, I get annoyed having to put all these extra layers on just to go outside. My dream is to go back to Florida. FL, AZ, and TX are the only states I want to live in. Maybe Cali. 

@SisterVigilante There are many pros/cons when it comes to Tallahassee, and @rack_attack124 as I'm sure you know, north Florida is nothing like south Florida :lol: North Floridians call the panhandle LA, or "Lower Alabama." It's considered by locals to be the "True Florida," which I know is a debatable point! This means food like grits, sweet tea, cracklins, and greens; it means lots of rural agrarian towns near Tallahassee with farmland, hiking, and nature; it also means mosquitoes, love bugs, and whackadoodle perceptions of race and gender outside the somewhat liberal Tallahassee.

It IS humid, especially in the summer, and gets really hot! There are also many days where it is absolutely beautiful, sunny, and perfect for hiking, biking, etc. It does get cold in the winter, with lows around 20-30; unlike south Florida, there are pseudo-seasons. As far as crime is concerned, I posted in another forum some city data info––there is some crime, and yes, some violent crime, but that isn't all of it. 

It's very hard to sum up this town; there's good, bad, and weird.

5 minutes ago, Cat_Robutt said:

@SisterVigilante There are many pros/cons when it comes to Tallahassee, and @rack_attack124 as I'm sure you know, north Florida is nothing like south Florida :lol: North Floridians call the panhandle LA, or "Lower Alabama." It's considered by locals to be the "True Florida," which I know is a debatable point! This means food like grits, sweet tea, cracklins, and greens; it means lots of rural agrarian towns near Tallahassee with farmland, hiking, and nature; it also means mosquitoes, love bugs, and whackadoodle perceptions of race and gender outside the somewhat liberal Tallahassee.

It IS humid, especially in the summer, and gets really hot! There are also many days where it is absolutely beautiful, sunny, and perfect for hiking, biking, etc. It does get cold in the winter, with lows around 20-30; unlike south Florida, there are pseudo-seasons. As far as crime is concerned, I posted in another forum some city data info––there is some crime, and yes, some violent crime, but that isn't all of it. 

It's very hard to sum up this town; there's good, bad, and weird.

Thanks, Cat! I guess I'll just have to see what it's like when I get there...

• 2 months later...

Hi! I'm moving to Tallahassee in August from Beirut to start grad school at FSU (MA in Media and Communication Studies)! I've never visited the US and I won't have the chance to check out Tallahassee beforehand, but I will be there fairly early (beginning of August). I've already signed a lease for a place.... and it so happens to be in Frenchtown (W Brevard, specifically). I'm not very concerned since I have lived in the Middle East my entire life, but shootings and armed robberies aren't common at all. Getting a car won't be possible, and I was thinking of getting a bike. Any tips about the neighborhood and what I should look out for?

Thanks!

On June 22, 2016 at 2:45 PM, beirutigrad said:

Hi! I'm moving to Tallahassee in August from Beirut to start grad school at FSU (MA in Media and Communication Studies)! I've never visited the US and I won't have the chance to check out Tallahassee beforehand, but I will be there fairly early (beginning of August). I've already signed a lease for a place.... and it so happens to be in Frenchtown (W Brevard, specifically). I'm not very concerned since I have lived in the Middle East my entire life, but shootings and armed robberies aren't common at all. Getting a car won't be possible, and I was thinking of getting a bike. Any tips about the neighborhood and what I should look out for?

Thanks!

I (the OP) am in Tallahassee now, so I might be able to answer other questions; but I haven't been around Frenchtown. Anyone else?

On 4/11/2016 at 9:28 PM, rack_attack124 said:

But Arizona had no beach.  

Arizona IS a beach.  Just waiting for the San Andreas Fault to work its magic.

As for Florida, the further north you go, the further south you get.

• 1 month later...