What type of writing samples did you submit?

MikeTheFronterizo

Hi All!

I am interested to see what types of topics did you submit for your applications? Where they term papers? A publication? Senior thesis?

In my last search for programs, many require samples of at least 10 but no more than 25 pages. Others highlight that you can submit a chapter or two of a thesis. Has anybody submitted parts of a thesis? I am trying to decide between my writing samples. I have a 23 page seminar paper that came out decent though still needs a lot of additional work. On the other hand, I am working on my senior thesis that is required to be a minimum of 40 pages.

My seminar paper examines how the vice industry proliferated in Tijuana, Mexico, between 1910 and 1935. I am currently researching my senior thesis but I am extending my project to provide a larger perspective on the vice industries and sexual policing along the U.S. - Mexico border mostly at the El Paso and Ciudad Juarez borderland.

Thanks!

Cutting a part of your thesis is fairly common practice. Pick the best section of your thesis that holds a cogent argument relevant to the interests outlined in your SoP and run with it. Obviously you should let them know it's a section, but they'll be expecting that.

As an addendum: don't feel like you ned to use the same part for each school. My interest in certain schools was somewhat different than my interest in other ones, and I gave them writing samples that reflected the best parts for those interests. 

My program didn't offer a thesis option but I submitted a paper from an independent research seminar. Most applications had a page limit of some sort, so in most cases I had to submit only part of the paper. Other schools, though, will allow you to submit a full paper, and some may ask you to write a short abstract of your full paper if you do not include it in its entirety.

You should pick the paper which you think best reflects your writing and research skills. I think committees also favour good use of primary/varied sources, and perhaps a paper related in some way to what you plan to study (if you have this, of course. I submitted a paper broadly related to my field but not the particular topic(s) I plan to study.)

I used my senior capstone paper. It was a piece of analytical bibliography, so I dodged a bullet a bit on the page limitations. About a third of my paper was charts/graphs, and the bibliography was huge, but the text itself barely occupied 22 pages. :D 

To my credit, those 22 pages reflected a metric ton of research. 

I submitted a heavily revised chapter of my MA thesis. I chose the chapter that: 1). showcased the most original argument(s) 2). used the most diverse primary sources, including sources in my second language that I collected from overseas 3). received the most praise from my thesis committee.

I should say that I really used the thesis chapter as a launching point from which I drafted a [new] 25 page article. This forced me to narrow down my argument and evidence in order to make some deep cuts. I also had to factor in that I would essentially need to add a couple of paragraphs of introduction because I had to re-frame the essay, as it could not rely on my thesis intro or previous chapters for framing. I also added some new research that did not make it into the original thesis chapter due to time constraints during my MA program. 

I know some people choose not to re-frame thesis chapters for their writing sample and instead add a cover page or something stating that it is a thesis chapter. This would save you time and effort. I chose to re-frame it because I thought doing so would make it easier for the admissions committee to digest. I figured that most members would not be familiar with my topic and that adding a new introduction would allow me to better position my argument within the historiography and explain why it is important right out the gate. Anything to make the application easier to read and take in. 

I had plenty of time to draft my writing sample and statements of purpose. I understand that not everyone has that luxury. Submit a sample that best showcases originality and primary research. Keep it within the page limits. Best of luck!

I actually ended up breaking the page limits on all of my applications - due in part to a large number of images. However, what I was continually told (because I was worried about being automatically rejected) was that as long as going over makes sense and isn't just drivel, they won't automatically reject the application. Nevertheless, I'd email the DGS and POI to triple check. 

I chose a section of my thesis that showcased original research with primary sources while engaging with new and innovative sources/analysis. I probably went through 4-6 edits with my long-suffering committee to get the writing sample where it needed to be. Chose whatever showcases your research and original thoughts the best. Ask about page limits - ask your thesis advisors or close friends what they think. They know your writing. 

For MA applications, I submitted my senior thesis, slightly edited for length based on the requirements of each program. 

For my PhD, I was in the middle of writing my MA thesis, and I didn't have much written material at that time. I did, however, have a five page translation of a primary source that hadn't been translated into English before, and was the center of my project. I ended up submitting the translation along with an essay explaining what the document was, historical background, and what my MA thesis was about. Turned out to be a very wise decision; the essay was solid, and the translation showed off my skills translating Sino-Japanese, which is a great language skill to have if you're studying Premodern Japan. 

I submitted part of my undergrad "thesis." The original was about 50 pages but I had already edited it down to about 30  for an undergrad publication. For those that allowed 25+ pages, I used that version. Technically it went over the page count for a few schools but that was really only for the appendix (images) and bibliography. One school asked for 10 pages so I made a completely different edited version for that. And one school required two 2,000 word excerpts so I used that paper and an excerpt from an earlier paper from my junior year. Neither of the samples I used were written for a history class. My thesis was pretty interdisciplinary but included a historical element and the other paper was for a sociology class but also related back to my interests in history. Neither, unfortunately, used foreign language sources so I was a little nervous about using them, but I had pretty good success (accepted to 6 out of 9 schools). So quality of writing and thinking is definitely important, and I'm sure using foreign language sources would not hurt either. Use the paper that best reflects your abilities to think, research, and write well.

Part of my undergrad thesis, like many above. It was basically literature-lite, but so far as I know, nobody said boo about the discipline thing. Nor was my WS my most impressive translation ever, but I wanted my writing sample to reflect the regional focus with which I'm going to graduate school, so my thesis did that job best.

For some universities, I applied with a thesis chapter (21 pages) and a cover letter. For the cover letter, I shortened my overall introduction to three pages, and ran through all the main scholarship that didn't appear in the chapter itself. Choosing which chapter to use was hard! Originally I was leaning towards one chapter, but then I realized that it was under-sourced, so I used a different one. I was accepted to two of these programs.

For one university, I had to submit a ten-page writing sample. I found a chapter that had a solid core, but that was absolutely full of nonsense and fun but extraneous detail. It was long, therefore, but squished easily, and eventually became a tight little ten page paper. I was accepted!

I also had a few programs that didn't require writing samples, because applying over three different PhD disciplines has some benefits ;). I didn't send anything to these, and was accepted to one and waitlisted at another.

PS I absolutely find it charming how many responses this thread has gotten today.

Edited by knp

My first time, I submitted my senior thesis. Don't have it handy, but it was long.

When I changed schools, I submitted my master's report (18.9k words [ 75 pages] of principal text ) and a biographical/bibliographic essay (4.2k words and lots of footnotes). I am pretty sure no one on the admissions committee read the former.

IMO, a very well written piece based upon a foundation of solid research will get you more than a solidly written piece based upon a foundation of excellent research. My $0.02.

This is a very interesting thread, and I have enjoyed reading how everyone has come at the task. While I have some papers I thought about resurrecting, I have opted to write something new. Assuming my writing gets better with time (more practice, elevated thinking, etc,) I will use something that I wrote this term. Luckily enough one of my MS courses is broad enough that the Prof gave us carte blanche in choosing a topic so I was able to choose one that combines the science with the history. In my case, I am in an MS Environmental Science program and really wanted to showcase how I can bring that training to bear in Environmental History, so tried to craft a piece that did that. I was able (I hope!) to combine an evaluation of current metrics employed to manage the issue and the genesis of property rights in an international sense (via Grotius) to make a new argument generally, while looking at a particular issue over its 60 year history. It contains the required primary sources and conclusion by analysis as opposed to quotation and has been well received by those who have seen it. Working on something fresh also allowed me to tailor length to fit and it comes in at about 19 pages--though for one application it will get edited down to 10--with two half page illustrations.

I do have a question for the group. One of my reviewers said, "Historians reading this would likely ask about the larger historical context of these decisions and might be concerned about the lack of archival research. Much of the primary source research would be held in government archives and published government documents. However, I think you could make a case (perhaps as a short one-page introduction to the writing sample) how this work has led you to realize there are gaps in the research and thinking on the subject (both yours and the larger field)—and gaps that an environmental historian could fill." While most of the piece is cited using international agency official reports (primary) I could add more, but my question is do you think the inclusion of the suggested cover page makes sense? I had been leaning toward making revisions instead of adding the suggested cover page, but the jury is still out. Thanks!

40 minutes ago, Quickmick said:

I do have a question for the group. One of my reviewers said, "Historians reading this would likely ask about the larger historical context of these decisions and might be concerned about the lack of archival research. Much of the primary source research would be held in government archives and published government documents. However, I think you could make a case (perhaps as a short one-page introduction to the writing sample) how this work has led you to realize there are gaps in the research and thinking on the subject (both yours and the larger field)—and gaps that an environmental historian could fill." While most of the piece is cited using international agency official reports (primary) I could add more, but my question is do you think the inclusion of the suggested cover page makes sense? I had been leaning toward making revisions instead of adding the suggested cover page, but the jury is still out. Thanks!

If this reviewer is an academic historian, she/he is telling you that your essay, what ever its merits, is not a good example of historical writing because it does not provide an adequate historiographical context and it does not reflect a good use of primary source materials. The proposed one page introduction is a quick patch. The reviewer is saying that she/he doesn't think you have the training/time/access to make the comprehensive revisions the piece needs.

If her/his assessment is correct, go with the one page introduction. If you want to make revisions, understand that you need to do more than make minor tweaks and you need to send your FOIA requests ASAP.

I took an idea I had in a former paper and re-wrote a new paper about *just* that idea. It was about accounting for scientific knowledge as part of the Zionist exploration (survey of land) to East Africa in 1903-1905, rather than solely viewing Zionism as a product of romanticism, utopianism, nationalism, (and all the other isms). It turned out to be about 20 pages, but I also am an independent scholar right now (no access to an academic library), so to give it a really good treatment, it should probably be longer. My adviser (who interviewed me) commented at length about my paper and even told me that it is "where Jewish Studies is heading and it is what Jewish Studies should be", so I felt that was a high compliment for something that I spent 3 weeks night/day writing (I couldn't decide on a topic...which made my October/November of last year really, really stressful). I did a basic introduction of the topic >brief literature review (and my criticisms of the works) > my point of view > conclusion. 

Some schools I applied to actually encouraged sending my whole undergrad thesis. I got accepted to all the programs to which I sent my complete thesis. I got rejected from all the programs that requested a 25-page chapter. For the latter schools, I did the "select a section and write a brief cover letter rather than make major revisions" strategy, which evidently did not succeed in my case. It was a strong thesis, but that chapter failed to include a strong statement about a historiographical intervention (which was in my intro). This was clearly a mistake.

Edited by AfricanusCrowther

My program at my undergrad did not have a senior seminar, so I didn't write a senior thesis. I submitted a regular term paper I had done for my African American history class. I told my professor that I was going to submit that paper as my writing sample for grad school, so he was hard on me about making the paper really good.

For my writing sample, I submitted an essay I published last year in a book. I took a chance with it because the topic did not relate to what I proposed in my statement of purpose. However, the essay incorporated a lot of primary research, which I think was beneficial for my application. 

On 4/20/2016 at 2:40 PM, Klonoa said:

My program at my undergrad did not have a senior seminar, so I didn't write a senior thesis. I submitted a regular term paper I had done for my African American history class. I told my professor that I was going to submit that paper as my writing sample for grad school, so he was hard on me about making the paper really good.

I was in a similar situation for undergrad. The paper I submitted was for a methods seminar (that was a 200 level course I think) but I told them I wanted to use it as a sample and they helped me prepare it accordingly. I think they were one of my LOR writers as well.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Related question: Can the topic and time period of the writing sample be different from that which you wish to pursue in grad school?

20 hours ago, jlackey said:

Related question: Can the topic and time period of the writing sample be different from that which you wish to pursue in grad school?

I think this is fine. It helps that the topic be similar to what you want to study, but I don't think it necessarily has to be. You aren't really expected to have done a significant amount of research on the topic you are proposing, I think the writing sample is more to showcase your writing skills and ability to use a variety of primary and secondary sources. The paper I submitted for the school I'm going to attend was a medicine/science topic, but was during a different time period and location than what I plan to research. Also remember that some people who end up getting a Master's or PhD in History may not even have a history background, so they may be submitting a writing sample on a new discipline altogether.

21 hours ago, jlackey said:

I did this the first time I applied to PhD programs directly out of my BA. I used a research paper I'd written for a senior seminar class that was far more polished than the undergraduate thesis I was still working on at the time. However, the seminar paper was in neither in the geographical or chronological area that I was applying to work in for grad school. I didn't end up getting into any PhD programs that year. I ended up doing a terminal masters and when I applied for PhD's again this round I used a chapter from my finished M.A. thesis. It still wasn't exactly what I wanted to do--because if it was, that'd mean I'd already done what I wanted and so what's the point of doing it again?--but it was FAR closer to what I was applying to work on at the doctoral level and generally representative of my geographical, chronological, and thematic interests. Of my top two choices I got into one and waitlisted at the other.

Of course, it's always hard to say what exactly ends up making the difference between admission and rejection, and obviously I was a better candidate overall after doing an M.A. But my new advisor specifically told me when he first met me that my writing sample was what really caught his eye, so I think there's something to be said for sending something as close as possible to what you're applying to work on. After all, it's no surprise that potential advisors would have more interest reading papers related to their own work during an admissions process. For example, if you're applying to work on Early Modern Germany, it makes sense that the Early Modern Germanist you want to work with would be more interested reading a paper roughly in that area than one about Cold War America. Even if they're both equally well written and researched, I suppose it's only reasonable when reading so many applications that they'd take closer looks at topics in their area. Anyway, that's just my anecdotal two cents!