I'm planning on applying to MS/MA SLP programs and am a little uncertain about what to do when it comes to pre-reqs and post-bacc programs. I'm a non-major (BA International Affairs, minors in German and International Human Rights / MA Political Science) with a few general science courses (nothing SLP-oriented) under my belt, and I could use some advice.

(1) Is it necessary to do SLP-related coursework prior to applying? (From what I've read elsewhere, there are programs which claim to accept those without relevant coursework, but given how competitive admissions can be, it's generally a good idea to take SLP courses prior to applying. Is this accurate?)

(2) Does it matter whether one completes an "official" post-bacc program vs. simply taking relevant courses?*

(3) Although there are many commonalities, different SLP programs have different course prerequisites. Does this mean that a given post-bacc program or set of courses could be adequate for some schools, but would disqualify me from being admitted to others?

(4) Any insight into extended three-year MA/MS programs which incorporate pre-reqs into the degree itself?

* This is one of my main concerns. I live very near to a good, affordable state university with Communication Disorders and Audiology grad programs...this university doesn't have an official post-bacc program, but I could certainly just take the set of courses they list as prerequisites for theirMA program. Would that be considered as equivalent to a post-bacc?

Not sure how relevant this is, but I did well in undergrad (3.95), in grad school (4.0), and on the GRE (165 verbal / 160 quant). I've also worked in adult education for a few years, both one-on-one and in classroom settings - ESL, GED, and life skills.

Edited by would-be

About half of the schools on my target list require a bachelor's in CSD (either 1st or 2nd) and the other half don't. Some of the ones that don't still require specific courses (usually around 4-5).

I decided to do the full 2nd bachelor's because my state requires it for SLP Asst licensing (they also require completion of supervised SLPA fieldwork, which I'm doing at a community college concurrently with the 2nd bachelor's). If I don't get into grad school on my first try, I can work as a SLPA while I re-apply. I could also potentially work as a SLPA while I'm in grad school, as there are programs designed for working SLPA's like Northern AZ's summers-only one.

Thanks for the response!  I noticed you're at USU...I'm also considering USU's 2nd bachelor's for this very reason - it'd make admissions easier, look good on a resume, and allow me to work as an SLPA in grad school.  Plus it'd take about the same amount of time as doing the normal post-bacc/pre-reqs.  Do you like their program?  I'm a bit wary of online degrees for some reason (probably just because I've never personally taken online classes, rather than out of any legitimate/logical concerns) but USU seems to have a good reputation and their courses look pretty rigorous.

Edited by would-be

Hey @would-be, I can speak to your fourth question regarding 3-year SLP programs. They do exist but they seem a bit rare. I’ll be starting one at Duquesne in the fall. Duquesne offers a 5-year M.S. in SLP program for its undergrad students (3 years of undergrad and 2 years of grad school as opposed to the 4 and 2 model) and allows recent graduates who are out-of-field and from other universities to join the course of study through a Post-Bacc Program.

My first two semesters will be leveling classes as well as specific courses for the Pennsylvania Department of Education certification as a Teacher of the Speech and Language Impaired (which is a nice thing to have built into the program). I’ve never tried distance education before so I wanted to stick with formal classroom learning instead of going for online courses. After the first year, I’ll transition automatically into the grad program without having to reapply (definitely a plus). Another perk is being able to already engage in graduate research during the Post-Bacc year at the different SLP labs. Let me know if you have any other questions!

5 hours ago, would-be said:

Thanks for the response!  I noticed you're at USU...I'm also considering USU's 2nd bachelor's for this very reason - it'd make admissions easier, look good on a resume, and allow me to work as an SLPA in grad school.  Plus it'd take about the same amount of time as doing the normal post-bacc/pre-reqs.  Do you like their program?  I'm a bit wary of online degrees for some reason (probably just because I've never personally taken online classes, rather than out of any legitimate/logical concerns) but USU seems to have a good reputation and their courses look pretty rigorous.

Overall I like USU. I'm doing the program half-time because I have 3 kids including one with multiple special needs. After this current semester, I'll have taken 6 of the 12 required courses, plus 1 of the 2 electives required for the deafblindness certificate. Most of the lectures are good, though not the ones for the Language Development course (which is really too bad since it's one of the more interesting topics). Definitely very convenient to be able to watch them any time or place I choose (there's an iPhone/iPad app).

In most classes, the exams have to be proctored so that helps with proving equivalence to USU's on-campus degree. Nothing on the diploma or transcript distinguishes that it was completed online (though with me living in CA, that's probably obvious to grad schools).

I also looked into Cal State Northridge (way more expensive), Eastern NM (not all courses are available every semester), and Sacramento State's in-person 2nd bachelor's (would require a lengthy commute + way more $$$).

Hello my beautiful friend! I was in your shoes one year ago and am happy to report plural acceptances/waitlist offers! I am a German degree holder living in Ohio.

Your previous academic and professional success is extremely relevant. With those stats, you stand a chance. My understanding is SLPAs are on the decline, but check your local laws. My response to your concerns below: 

(1) Is it necessary to do SLP-related coursework prior to applying? (From what I've read elsewhere, there are programs which claim to accept those without relevant coursework, but given how competitive admissions can be, it's generally a good idea to take SLP courses prior to applying. Is this accurate?)

• Almost 100% necessary. Here's the thing, to get accepted you have to be exceptionally well qualified. Not just qualified. Exceptionally well qualified. Unless you are the Dean's child or have some amazing connection, you have to play the numbers game and get the odds in your favor. 500+ applicants for 25 spots. Your background already stands out as being related-ish and impressive. If you complete almost all, like, don't leave any more than 1 maybe 2 unfinished courses that you have a ready plan to complete prior to admission, admissions committees WILL give you a second glance if nothing else.

(2) Does it matter whether one completes an "official" post-bacc program vs. simply taking relevant courses?*

• NO! End of discussion. "Official" programs are just marketed as such. #2 shouldn't be your most scary concern. #3 should be. 

(3) Although there are many commonalities, different SLP programs have different course prerequisites. Does this mean that a given post-bacc program or set of courses could be adequate for some schools, but would disqualify me from being admitted to others?

• This part drove me NUTS! I ended up taking 17(!) pre-requisite courses in 12 months to account for the commonalities as well as pre-req to the pre-req (think, of a math class pre-req to get into a physics class pre-req kind of thing) and also took a few based on the schools' requirements where I would be applying. Even if you complete a second BA/BS in CSD it still could be that your degree lacks a particular course that a grad program demands you have either prior to entrance. One school requires ASL, another doesn't. Better take ASL. One school requires research methods, another doesn't. Better take research methods. You get the picture. I advise making a spreadsheet and ticking off courses that give you the most bang for your buck, but absolutely do not neglect one-off courses that your desired/potentially desired grad program wants. This frustration will prepare you for the real world of working as an SLP anyway; some states have very similar yet slightly difference licensing requirements, and if you don't jump through the right hoops, no license for you.

(4) Any insight into extended three-year MA/MS programs which incorporate pre-reqs into the degree itself?

• West Virginia University accepts you into the graduate school while you can complete a year of pre-reqs. At this point in the year, unless you already applied for this type of program, I believe you'll be waiting until next round. These programs seem convenient, but there are other methods if needed. I believe maybe Dayton or some school around that area in Ohio seemed to be the most accommodating to post-bacc kids like us (even though I did not personally use their program and cannot vouch for them--just know they market themselves as post-bacc friendly). 

20 hours ago, would-be said:
I'm planning on applying to MS/MA SLP programs and am a little uncertain about what to do when it comes to pre-reqs and post-bacc programs. I'm a non-major (BA International Affairs, minors in German and International Human Rights / MA Political Science) with a few general science courses (nothing SLP-oriented) under my belt, and I could use some advice.

If the program has a full-leveling program included, it is not necessary to take the courses. That said, it may help your application for a few reasons. 1) Demonstrating your sincere academic interest in the field 2) You might have beneficial experiences to include in your SOP or mention in an interview 3) It could boost your GPA 4) Certain schools (UNM where I´m going for example) offers a leveling program for those have 9 credits hours completed before entering, so doing a few classes might open more opportunities. 5) If you do well and make a connection with a professor, you can get a strong Letter of Rec from someone in the field - these are generally considered more valuable. 

Not really... but maybe. If you want to go to ABC school then ABC´s post-bacc program is your best option. If you want to go XYZ school and they require courses 1, 2, 3, and ABC´s Post Bacc is courses, 1, 2, 3, 4 - your wasting time and money. Does that make sense? 

For those reasons, I think it is best to apply to 3-year masters degree which include the leveling coursework. You eliminate any waste or extras. 

I don´t think a post-bacc would ever "disqualify" you, but it simply might not be "enough" or it could be "too much" (too much isn´t bad, just wasted time & $$). Even if you had a bachelor´s in SHS/CommDis, etc you might still have to take a "leveling course" or something when you´re admitted to a masters depending on the specific requirements. 

This is the route I am taking, and so I think it is best (or I wouldn´t have done it, lol). I did 9 credit hours of pre-reqs first through USU´s 2nd degree program. My thought was if I don´t get into a masters, I´ll finish the 2nd degree (which cost the same as the post-bacc) and then reapply to even more programs. I wrote a post (called "My plan" or something like that) on my blog detailing my thought process on this same idea. 

As for which 3-year programs to apply to, there are lists of them on the forums here.

Finally, when you´re investigating, be sure to ask how admission for leveling students work. One program I researched said they accepted leveling students after they´ve tried to fill the cohort with other qualified applicants. So basically the chances of getting in were zero. 

* This is one of my main concerns. I live very near to a good, affordable state university with Communication Disorders and Audiology grad programs...this university doesn't have an official post-bacc program, but I could certainly just take the set of courses they list as prerequisites for their MA program. Would that be considered as equivalent to a post-bacc? That is definitely a post-bacc. Every other school might not accept that work though - they might require more, less, or different classes. Make sense? 

Basically it all comes down to the fact that each school has unique requirements that you must meet specifically. 

Not sure how relevant this is, but I did well in undergrad (3.95), in grad school (4.0), and on the GRE (165 verbal / 160 quant). I've also worked in adult education for a few years, both one-on-one and in classroom settings - ESL, GED, and life skills. Those are great numbers that will get your application noticed - it sounds like you could turn those experiences into great stories for your SOP or use your supervisors as strong references. 

Phew! That was a lot. I hope it all made sense. If not, feel free to message me. I just went through the same process as you so I´d be more than happy to share any insights

1. Yes, you should take courses before you apply. To begin with, you want to make sure that you enjoy and succeed in classes like this. Additionally, most programs want letters of recommendation from SLP professors, and that's the only way to get them. Also, while some schools have a leveling track, not all of them do– and it's much more expensive. In most state schools, undergraduate credits are cheaper than graduate credits.

2. I don't think so. I got into 4/5 programs after taking relevant courses, and at least one of those programs is unbelievably competitive. 

3. No courses would disqualify you from consideration, so don't worry about that. Different programs will have varied requirements, but every school I considered wanted these 5 courses:

1. Introduction to Communication Disorders
  2. Language Development
  3. Anatomy & Physiology of the Speech & Hearing System
  4. Phonetics
  5. Audiology

If you look through different schools, you'll probably see some variation on pre-reqs, but most of those should pop up. Make sure you take them.

As for 4– I can see why that would be an appealing path, but I still carry some debt from undergrad. My pre-req decision was informed by which program had the greatest number of options for the most affordable price, which led me straight to ENMU.