USU - course load help

So I've decided to do my pre-reqs online from USU and I'll be starting in a few weeks.

I am registered for the following 2 courses:
COMD2500 - Language, Speech, and Hearing Development
COMD3100 Fundamentals of Anatomy for Speech and Language.  

Any advice on the two courses from former/current USU students? I've never taken online courses before and just registered for these two to see how well I can balance the workload while working full-time. 
I also would be open to taking COMD3500 Phonetics instead of COMD3100 if that class is known to be easier?

I'm so nervous since I've been out of school for a year and a half. Any help would be appreciated! :) 

3500 was easier for me, but I have an MA in Linguistics. I took two classes last semester and am in three now while working full time. I took 2500 in the fall and am in 3100 now! I have enjoyed them both and have managed A's in both. I think it just requires organization and self-motivation. You can do well taking them simultaneously!

I think you'll be fine taking those two courses. I found 2500 very manageable. 3100 can be tough especially if you haven't taken an anatomy course before, so I think it's good to pair those two courses together. I worked full-time while taking at least 2 courses at USU per semester... one semester I took three :) You'll be fine as long as you manage your time well!

Edited by wannabeSLPnc

14 hours ago, wannabeSLPnc said:

I think you'll be fine taking those two courses. I found 2500 very manageable. 3100 can be tough especially if you haven't taken an anatomy course before, so I think it's good to pair those two courses together. I worked full-time while taking at least 2 courses at USU per semester... one semester I took three :) You'll be fine as long as you manage your time well!

I have not taken an anatomy course before - I've taken pretty much every other science besides anatomy, lol. I'm hoping that by easing myself in, I can work up to taking three classes in a semester! :) Thanks for your reply! 

On 4/25/2016 at 10:12 PM, SouthernDrawl said:

3500 was easier for me, but I have an MA in Linguistics. I took two classes last semester and am in three now while working full time. I took 2500 in the fall and am in 3100 now! I have enjoyed them both and have managed A's in both. I think it just requires organization and self-motivation. You can do well taking them simultaneously!

Thanks for the words of encouragement! I actually just stumbled upon a link for a facebook group for USU COMD students last night after searching for USU help! 
https://www.facebook.com/groups/109935279077833/
Lots of helpful advice from there too! :D 

On 4/26/2016 at 3:26 PM, hopefulspeechie16 said:

Does anyone know if you can work as an SLPA after getting the USU degree?

Every state has different rules, so it depends on the state. You often need 100 hours, though, and you won't have that. 

In addition to the general USU FB group, there is also a group for each class. They can be very helpful. There's also an older forum with some info that still comes in handy: usucomdforum.com

For 3100, I found anatomyzone.com to be  really helpful. More helpful than the book for sure. The prof changed halfway through the class when I took it, and I greatly prefer the prof for the second half. 

2500 has a lot of info that gets tested on that seems insignificant. Be prepared for it. I found it helpful to do quizlets by a lot of different people for all of the classes to get exposure to more questions. Good luck!

Most people say that 3500 is easy, but my dialect made it incredibly frustrating. I don't think of myself as having a particularly strong New England accent but it's different enough from the textbook author's that I struggled with getting the "correct" answers. Ugh!

I took 2500 and 3100 together and thought that was a good combo. My 2nd semester I took 5900 and 3400 and thought that was also a good combo. 3100 is all exam-based and 3400 is mostly exam-based (there is one group paper and the optional-but-worth-doing model of the middle ear project). 2500 has tedious short answer questions each week and 5900 has weekly simulation writeups plus the observation reports.

7 hours ago, Crimson Wife said:

Most people say that 3500 is easy, but my dialect made it incredibly frustrating. I don't think of myself as having a particularly strong New England accent but it's different enough from the textbook author's that I struggled with getting the "correct" answers. Ugh!

I took 2500 and 3100 together and thought that was a good combo. My 2nd semester I took 5900 and 3400 and thought that was also a good combo. 3100 is all exam-based and 3400 is mostly exam-based (there is one group paper and the optional-but-worth-doing model of the middle ear project). 2500 has tedious short answer questions each week and 5900 has weekly simulation writeups plus the observation reports.

Thanks for the info! I decided to switch my schedule and do 2500 with 3500 instead of 3100. Hopefully I can adjust quickly to the online format of the classes!