Question Re: SSHRC Funding

FacelessMage

So I've been rejected from all 8 clinical programs that I applied to. However, yesterday I found out that I won the Doctoral CGS SSHRC award (at the level of 35K/per year over 3 years). 

Would it be worth contacting programs or individuals POIs from the programs that I was rejected from to see if those rejections could possibly be overturned? I don't want to turn down an award that I rightfully earned.

3 hours ago, FacelessMage said:

So I've been rejected from all 8 clinical programs that I applied to. However, yesterday I found out that I won the Doctoral CGS SSHRC award (at the level of 35K/per year over 3 years). 

Would it be worth contacting programs or individuals POIs from the programs that I was rejected from to see if those rejections could possibly be overturned? I don't want to turn down an award that I rightfully earned.

Congrats!! Yes, absolutely contact them!

4 hours ago, FacelessMage said:

Any suggestions on how to approach POIs?

I would email your POIs in the morning and explain your predicament.  I understand that Clinical Psychology is very difficult to get into at the grad. level, but I think if you really sold the fact that you got this funding, it would really strengthen your chances for reconsideration!!  It would also help to probably suggest a phone call or meet up face to to face with POIs (if you are able to travel to meet them face to face) so that they can talk to you and see if you are a good fit for them supervisor wise.  Did they give you any reason for not getting into the programs at all or was it a flat out rejection?  Ddd you have any email contact with the POIs before you applied to the program?   Honestly, I have had friends who have been rejected for PHDs and when they brought it to the attention of a supervisor they were building rapport with, they ended up getting reconsidered and ultimately accepted!!  Plus if they see that you try, it not only shows perseverance, but your own commitment to your studies!!

39 minutes ago, Piagetsky said:

Congrats, Faceless!  I hope you report back with some great news.  I get the feeling that Ryerson is particularly funding-sensitive...best of luck!!!!

Thanks! Ryerson has been the only resounding no I've gotten (blah blah blah PhD spots are for our own grad student blah blah blah). Personally, I'm hedging my bets on New Brunswick or Saskatchewan, but we'll see. I may also contact the folks at Carleton to see if they'll consider an application after the deadline given the fact that I had funding.

To be honest I can't believe that this is happening to me again (had the same situation with my Master's SSHRC).

Edited by FacelessMage

9 hours ago, FacelessMage said:

Thanks! Ryerson has been the only resounding no I've gotten (blah blah blah PhD spots are for our own grad student blah blah blah). Personally, I'm hedging my bets on New Brunswick or Saskatchewan, but we'll see. I may also contact the folks at Carleton to see if they'll consider an application after the deadline given the fact that I had funding.

To be honest I can't believe that this is happening to me again (had the same situation with my Master's SSHRC).

Why doesn't SSHRC make these awards in time for applicants to present that as part of their application?  It's a huge deal, that funding!

18 hours ago, soc.studyhermit said:

Have you tried Lakehead University?

Is there anyone who does forensic-based research? I think I've looked at them before but didn't see anyone.