Grad School Application Checklist

ellieotter

Hey all! I have been told organization is KEY when it comes to a successful application season. Does anyone who's been through the application process have any tips or any type checklist they found helpful when they applied? Or anything you would have done differently looking back on how you went about the application process? Thanks in advance!

I made myself a binder with a tab for each school I applied for, with a standard checklist for each one. So I would check off when each school received my GRE scores, transcripts, each of my three rec letters, my payment, etc. It may be helpful for you to make a list of everything you need to do, such as securing rec letter writers, writing the personal statement, and so on.

other than that, my only advice is just to double/triple check each school's requirements and write them down. Personal statement requirements vary, supporting documents vary, so you just want to make sure you submit everything correctly for each school. Good luck! 

You're right, organization is SO important to the process of applications. I used an Excel spreadsheet, and I recently created an example spreadsheet that should help students with their organization in terms of overall planning for grad school applications, application process planning, as well as some tips on organizing reference letter stuff. I've attached it here, but let me know if it doesn't work and I can email it!

Plan for Grad School Applications.xlsx

Edited by clinpsy

55 minutes ago, clinpsy said:

You're right, organization is SO important to the process of applications. I used an Excel spreadsheet, and I recently created an example spreadsheet that should help students with their organization in terms of overall planning for grad school applications, application process planning, as well as some tips on organizing reference letter stuff. I've attached it here, but let me know if it doesn't work and I can email it!

Plan for Grad School Applications.xlsx

Thank you so much! I clicked on the link but it said error, PM me and I can send you my email if you don't mind sending it to me :)

I did an Excel spreadsheet to keep track of the programs and application costs. I'm attaching a link, and it should take you to Google Drive if it works :)

I also had a checklist for Microsoft Word that I printed out. It helped to have it attached to my fridge so I could physically check this list off as I sent stuff in and as my recommenders sent in their letters. 

Finally, I made a checklist for my recommenders. It had my name, GPA, GRE scores and percentiles, classes I had taken with them and the grades I earned, info on if I was in their lab or in a club they were active in, and a list of the schools and dates. I sent this in an email, and attached my CV and a copy of my generic personal statement. I also sent them reminder emails as I applied to make sure they knew when a deadline was approaching. 

Excel Spreadsheet
Word Checklist
Reference Writer Checklist

The poster above gave me the idea of posting the spreadsheet to Google Drive:

Planning for Grad School

I think a lot of it is similar to @ihatechoosingusernames documents, but it's all in one spreadsheet (within various tabs). 

Goos luck! 

The spreadsheets, etc. are good to give to your letter writers, especially if you get them done early.  

I didn't find them extremely useful since the application itself is basically only 5 things--transcripts, personal statement, letters of recommendation, CV, GRE.  It's probably just hard to be organized because of everything else that is likely going on around you.  I don't think it's possible to do too much while you are applying to grad schools, especially making an impression with pre-interviews.

Edited by another_time

Also! Depending on the school, you'll have to see if the email links for your letter writers get sent before or after you formally submit the application. There were a few schools I applied to where you had to complete the entire application and submit/pay before an email link was sent to your recommenders. One application (for a public school in Texas) used something similar to the Common App where I had to submit my application, then wait up to two weeks for a personalized code/link for a secondary application that I could use to finish the app and send email links to my letter writers. I didn't realize it until about 4 days before the deadline. Thankfully the turn around on getting the code was quick, but I wish I had built in more of a buffer period lol. Just make sure you check out each school's process when you're creating a checklist. 

12 minutes ago, ihatechoosingusernames said:

Also! Depending on the school, you'll have to see if the email links for your letter writers get sent before or after you formally submit the application. There were a few schools I applied to where you had to complete the entire application and submit/pay before an email link was sent to your recommenders. One application (for a public school in Texas) used something similar to the Common App where I had to submit my application, then wait up to two weeks for a personalized code/link for a secondary application that I could use to finish the app and send email links to my letter writers. I didn't realize it until about 4 days before the deadline. Thankfully the turn around on getting the code was quick, but I wish I had built in more of a buffer period lol. Just make sure you check out each school's process when you're creating a checklist. 

So true! I came across a similar situation and I was lucky in that nothing was late. But definitely try to get all applications in well before the deadline because these kinds of surprises are not fun.

10 hours ago, ihatechoosingusernames said:

True true.  OSU was like that.  

Some schools also require transcripts to be mailed in and one wanted me to white out my SSN on any unofficial transcripts before scanning and sending them.