Genetic Counseling Fall 2017 Applicants

KT123

46 minutes ago, Gorays39 said:

I didn't apply to the dual degree, so that worries me.  I do know they contacted me a few days ago because I was missing a letter of rec, so they are currently reviewing applications.  

That probably just means ours haven't been looked at yet! I feel better now, thank you!

10 minutes ago, AspiringGC said:

Here's to hoping I hear something good! (Likely not cuz my ochem 2 grade is crap and they're the only school that I applied too that needs both semesters lol) 

I didn't do so hot in o-chem II either lol. It was a nasty shock bc I LOVED the first semester!

Fingers crossed for you! 

5 minutes ago, adragonisnoslave said:

I didn't do so hot in o-chem II either lol. It was a nasty shock bc I LOVED the first semester!

Fingers crossed for you! 

Thank you! I did terribly in both (I retook the first semester twice lol). Here's to hoping I get an email soon

Hey everyone, new to this thread. For any Canadian school applicants out there, UBC sent me a rejection email yesterday, so I would assume anyone who hasn't heard from them by now won't by getting an interview. Any updates from anyone who's applied to USC, CSU-Stanislaus, or SLC?

3 minutes ago, JPW1992 said:

Hey everyone, new to this thread. For any Canadian school applicants out there, UBC sent me a rejection email yesterday, so I would assume anyone who hasn't heard from them by now won't by getting an interview. Any updates from anyone who's applied to USC, CSU-Stanislaus, or SLC?

SLC came out with interview announcements a few days ago.  Not sure if there are any more.

8 minutes ago, AspiringGC said:

Thank you! I did terribly in both (I retook the first semester twice lol). Here's to hoping I get an email soon

I took OChem I three times and OChem 2 twice! The 3rd time around for OChem 1 I got an A and the second time for OChem 2 I got a B (I had gotten a C the first time). I think as long as they see that you learned/tried hard =)

8 minutes ago, JPW1992 said:

I just got my interview notification today for SLC, but I think there were only 3 interview slots left when I chose my date (if I was looking at it properly).

UC Irvine emailed me early because they hadn't received my transcripts. I resent them, and inquired about a timeline for interviews. The administrator that I talked to said that they hadn't finalized what days they will be conducting interviews. Apparently, they are laid back out there in sunny southern California.

42 minutes ago, Ultrapeaches said:

UC Irvine emailed me early because they hadn't received my transcripts. I resent them, and inquired about a timeline for interviews. The administrator that I talked to said that they hadn't finalized what days they will be conducting interviews. Apparently, they are laid back out there in sunny southern California.

This is such a SoCal thing to say lol. Their website has so little info, so I am not surprised

Just received an email from CSU-Stan that my application was complete and being forwarded to their reviewing committee! So they haven't even start reviewing applications yet, which is kind of reassuring to hear

6 minutes ago, AspiringGC said:

Just received an email from CSU-Stan that my application was complete and being forwarded to their reviewing committee! So they haven't even start reviewing applications yet, which is kind of reassuring to hear

I got that email a couple weeks ago... also got an item in the mail from them today that was dated January 18. I get the impression that Canadian applicants are a rarity for their program!

3 minutes ago, JPW1992 said:

I got that email a couple weeks ago... also got an item in the mail from them today that was dated January 18. I get the impression that Canadian applicants are a rarity for their program!

Oh weird, I had all my material in by January 14th. I had received mail from them about 2-3 weeks ago though. I think dated around the same time. 

8 minutes ago, AspiringGC said:

Oh weird, I had all my material in by January 14th. I had received mail from them about 2-3 weeks ago though. I think dated around the same time. 

I also got an email saying they were sending my application to the reviewing committee 2 weeks ago. My app was in quite a bit before the deadline though. 

Update! I got an interview email from UBC. Still nothing from University of Toronto or McGill though. Really crossing my fingers for McGill. Anyone else hear anything from these programs yet?

PS congratulations to everyone and all of their interviews. I just read through the thread, this is incredibly exciting for everyone :) 

3 minutes ago, alalav said:

I also got an email saying they were sending my application to the reviewing committee 2 weeks ago. My app was in quite a bit before the deadline though. 

To be honest, I think it depends on when your references submit. They don't have a method for you to track, so maybe one letter just came in if you only got that email today.

15 minutes ago, bB0769 said:

Update! I got an interview email from UBC. Still nothing from University of Toronto or McGill though. Really crossing my fingers for McGill. Anyone else hear anything from these programs yet?

PS congratulations to everyone and all of their interviews. I just read through the thread, this is incredibly exciting for everyone :) 

I've heard back from UBC about an interview, but I haven't heard anything from McGill or U of T either! 

6 minutes ago, GCapplicant2017 said:

I've heard back from UBC about an interview, but I haven't heard anything from McGill or U of T either! 

Ok, I will you keep you posted on what I hear! From what I've learned, McGill doesn't notify until late February anyways, I'm just anxious.

On ‎2‎/‎9‎/‎2017 at 9:05 PM, Ultrapeaches said:

@metabolismo, what'd you think of Emory?

@Ultrapeaches, I was really impressed by Emory's program! I loved how they structure their training around the focus internship, and have so many options for specialty rotations! Now I am trying not to obsess over every could-have-been-better response I gave during the interview questions, uuurgh  :wacko:

8 hours ago, Ultrapeaches said:

I interviewed at UCI last year and they had the interviews every Monday leading up to match day.  My interview was only about a week before match day last year.  It's possible they'll end up doing the same thing this year and do the interviews on Mondays.  I'm really hoping that's the case because that's the day I have off work.

I thought I would share this with everyone, as I feel that it would help those who are feeling nervous or down about certain decisions. It was sent to me by Quinn Stein (the director of the Augustana program). I was 9th on their list, and all 8 that were chosen, accepted. I think it applies to most of us (except the last bit): 

"Many of the best genetic counselors I know, took 2 or 3 application cycles until they found the right time and right program that it worked in that given year. If this is a career you truly have a passion for, it’s likely that the time will come for you as well.  I’m so grateful you applied and that I had the opportunity to meet you, to learn about Oakland, your travels, and your ability to speak German!"

He and another program gave me tips on how to make my application more "Genetic counselor" friendly, and I am happy to share, with those of you that might be interested.

3 hours ago, raindaywoman said:

I thought I would share this with everyone, as I feel that it would help those who are feeling nervous or down about certain decisions. It was sent to me by Quinn Stein (the director of the Augustana program). I was 9th on their list, and all 8 that were chosen, accepted. I think it applies to most of us (except the last bit): 

"Many of the best genetic counselors I know, took 2 or 3 application cycles until they found the right time and right program that it worked in that given year. If this is a career you truly have a passion for, it’s likely that the time will come for you as well.  I’m so grateful you applied and that I had the opportunity to meet you, to learn about Oakland, your travels, and your ability to speak German!"

He and another program gave me tips on how to make my application more "Genetic counselor" friendly, and I am happy to share, with those of you that might be interested.

Hi everyone! I hope you all are having a great day.  I just joined!! The waiting game is tough :( 

I would love to hear your tips about the application!  

Does anyone know if U of South Carolina is sending out interview invites in waves or if they did theirs all at once? I haven't heard back but I've been seeing their name in the results tab so I'm wondering if I should prepare myself for rejection or if there is still hope!