Genetic Counseling Fall 2017 Applicants

KT123

15 hours ago, alalav said:

Ladies, what kind of shoes do you think are ideal? I'm a bit worried about heels because I don't wear them often and I know most programs have tours + a lot of standing. Are flats formal enough and if so, what kind of flats?

I wore closed-toed, loafer-looking 2.5" heels because I live in heels and have no trouble walking in them, but I am definitely the exception. Only one other person at Emory was wearing heels - the women in flats did not look unprofessional or out of place. There was a walk around campus that lasted 45 minutes - if you're not me (seriously, I take my kids  for a walk in the park wearing wedge boots, I wear pumps to campus, I am probably doing irreparable damage to my feet) flats are a better choice.

17 hours ago, adragonisnoslave said:

Stupid question, but....

For those that have interviewed before or are doing so now... what kind of bag do you plan on carrying?? I kind of want to be able to have a notebook to jot notes, but I don't know if a briefcase would be too much. A notebook fits in my purse so I have that... am I overthinking this? 

I brought my laptop bag, which is a fancy leather one kinda like this

https://www.amazon.com/Iswee-Vintage-Briefcase-Messenger-Shoulder/dp/B01EMZNKFU/ref=sr_1_8?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1487001394&sr=1-8&keywords=leather+attache

I didn't really notice the other candidates bags, and I doubt anyone noticed mine either. Something neutral that all your stuff fits in and has room for the folder that the program will give you is totally adequate.

I second the perfume comment! I do interviews for my job and we do a week of interviews once a year. This was just last week and I very strongly remember 3 girls because I was almost choking on their perfume. I have a sensitive nose and it made it really hard to pay attention when I was trying to breathe through my mouth so I wouldn't sneeze. While we have a strong policy against bias and can't make judgements based on clothing or things like makeup/perfume, it did turn me off the candidate. 

I think a subtle amount is fine, but nothing crazy.

i am also anxiously awaiting Utah's email. I have this weird dream that since it says "letters" on the website that they are mailing the decisions and we really won't find out today haha, hopefully that's not the case. 

Edited by AspiringGC

12 minutes ago, AspiringGC said:

I second the perfume comment! I do interviews for my job and we do a week of interviews once a year. This was just last week and I very strongly remember 3 girls because I was almost choking on their perfume. I have a sensitive nose and it made it really hard to pay attention when I was trying to breathe through my mouth so I wouldn't sneeze. While we have a strong policy against bias and can't make judgements based on clothing or things like makeup/perfume, it did turn me off the candidate. 

I think a subtle amount is fine, but nothing crazy.

i am also anxiously awaiting Utah's email. I have this weird dream that since it says "letters" on the website that they are mailing the decisions and we really won't find out today haha, hopefully that's not the case. 

I've been thinking old fashion letters and warned my husband that he has to check the mail every day if it doesn't get here by the time I leave for the weekend.  I didn't even think about it being an email and can legitimately feel the adrenaline rush at the thought! I've also been harping over what it means that they go out today if it is physical mail. Does that mean that the letters will be with the post office today? Will they be put in the mailbox at 5pm and actually get in the mail tomorrow, prolonging my agony one day further?? This is how my brain works.

Has anyone started to apply to jobs in case they don't get into a program this year? I wasn't sure how to go about this because I don't want to interview or get hired by someone for me to just tell them I might be going to grad school in the fall. Not sure when to start applying or how to go about this so any advice would be so helpful -- thanks!!

17 minutes ago, Gadgette said:

I've been thinking old fashion letters and warned my husband that he has to check the mail every day if it doesn't get here by the time I leave for the weekend.  I didn't even think about it being an email and can legitimately feel the adrenaline rush at the thought! I've also been harping over what it means that they go out today if it is physical mail. Does that mean that the letters will be with the post office today? Will they be put in the mailbox at 5pm and actually get in the mail tomorrow, prolonging my agony one day further?? This is how my brain works.

Exactly! I am feeling the same way! I just checked the results for last year though and it appears both rejections and interviews were sent out as emails! So hopefully it's the same this year :)

5 minutes ago, TK1616 said:

Has anyone started to apply to jobs in case they don't get into a program this year? I wasn't sure how to go about this because I don't want to interview or get hired by someone for me to just tell them I might be going to grad school in the fall. Not sure when to start applying or how to go about this so any advice would be so helpful -- thanks!!

I have! I sent in a few applications already, haven't heard anything back. Since I am finishing my senior year of undergrad, I have been putting down not being able to start until late May... So I likely won't get any interviews for a while because of that. I do not have any good advice though. If I were offered a position, I would likely accept it and then if I do get in this cycle I would try to let my employer know as soon as possible that my plans have changed, but thank them for the opportunity.. This is with the thinking that I hadn't actually started yet.

It is a weird situation because we don't want to burn bridges, but grad school comes first to me. 

10 minutes ago, AspiringGC said:

Exactly! I am feeling the same way! I just checked the results for last year though and it appears both rejections and interviews were sent out as emails! So hopefully it's the same this year :)

I was rejected by email last year, but I think it came much later than the interview invites.

32 minutes ago, Gadgette said:

According to the results from last year, it looks like everyone was emailed for interviews or rejections.

2 minutes ago, raindaywoman said:

I was rejected by email last year, but I think it came much later than the interview invites.

Yeah, I was gonna mention that. Rejections look like they came out almost 2 weeks later. 

On 2/9/2017 at 5:28 PM, AspiringGC said:

I just applied to a couple Genetic Counseling Assistant Jobs and will be applying to be an academic advisor or receptionist/office manager of a medical office if I don't get accepted.  

Any healthcare related job where you'll get direct patient contact, being an academic advisor even, peer counseling work, working with people with disabilities or in other non-profits are all good options. Besides that keep up on working on advocacy experience and finding ways to shadow GCs etc are all great 

I am an academic advisor. It appears from my rejections that admissions committees don't really care too much about it as relevant experience. I don't think schools consider it really counseling, even though there ends up being a huge counseling component to it. 

Edited by Blizzard

11 minutes ago, Blizzard said:

I am an academic advisor. It appears from my rejections that admissions committees don't really care too much about it as relevant experience. I don't think schools consider it really counseling, even though there ends up being a huge counseling component to it. 

Wow. I think that's really weird. Did you try to spin that aspect of it into your personal statement?

12 minutes ago, plunker said:

I got the interview email for Utah :)

Ahh! Congrats, my inbox is still empty :(

12 minutes ago, AspiringGC said:

Wow. I think that's really weird. Did you try to spin that aspect of it into your personal statement?

Do you think maybe their looking for more doctor to patient like counseling maybe?

Edited by raindaywoman

20 minutes ago, AspiringGC said:

Oh yes. It's a big part of my personal statement.

In advising, you have a lot of hard conversations, see a lot of crying, and your job mostly is to be an interpreter of policy, knowledge of procedures, and to be there to support them and give them options so they can make the most informed, best decision for themselves. Those elements are also present in genetic counseling. So I'm not sure why it didn't have any weight with admissions, but it sure doesn't look like it.

31 minutes ago, Blizzard said:

Oh yes. It's a big part of my personal statement.

In advising, you have a lot of hard conversations, see a lot of crying, and your job mostly is to be an interpreter of policy, knowledge of procedures, and to be there to support them and give them options so they can make the most informed, best decision for themselves. Those elements are also present in genetic counseling. So I'm not sure why it didn't have any weight with admissions, but it sure doesn't look like it.

Yeah, that's exactly what I would have included. I love my academic advisor (she wrote one of my letters), and she has been there to calm me down for panic-induced freak outs throughout my college experience and is just wonderful. That's really surprising to me that it hasn't had more impact :/ 

Hi everyone. I just got an interview at Maryland..yay! I'm really worried though..the only date left available is 3/31 when I will be out of the country. Anyone have any suggestions as to what to do? I called and they will try to see what they can do but not looking good. Should I cancel a trip my boyfriend and I have planned for a year and is completely paid for? Or give up the interview slot? What a Catch-22. I do have interviews at VCU and Brandeis but also really love Maryland's program. 

Long shot...if anyone has a Maryland interview that is literally any other day other than the 31st would you be willing to switch?!?

4 minutes ago, JennyVt said:

Hi everyone. I just got an interview at Maryland..yay! I'm really worried though..the only date left available is 3/31 when I will be out of the country. Anyone have any suggestions as to what to do? I called and they will try to see what they can do but not looking good. Should I cancel a trip my boyfriend and I have planned for a year and is completely paid for? Or give up the interview slot? What a Catch-22. I do have interviews at VCU and Brandeis but also really love Maryland's program. 

Long shot...if anyone has a Maryland interview that is literally any other day other than the 31st would you be willing to switch?!?

I think you could call the directors to ask for a reschedule, or even a Skype? Damn...that really sucks. I feel like the programs would definitely try to work it out with you. I hope they would understand that a trip you planned for over a year is going to be heartbreaking to cancel. Good luck to you!!

8 minutes ago, JennyVt said:

I was in a similar situation with one of the schools I applied to, where I wasn't able to go to attend the last available option. In then end they were super accommodating, and got one of the local applicants to switch their interview date. I hope it works out for you! 

14 minutes ago, bubusaur said:

I think you could call the directors to ask for a reschedule, or even a Skype? Damn...that really sucks. I feel like the programs would definitely try to work it out with you. I hope they would understand that a trip you planned for over a year is going to be heartbreaking to cancel. Good luck to you!!

I did call and they will see what they can do. We shall see! Thank you!

Has anyone gotten an interview date confirmation from IUPUI yet? I sent them the dates that worked best for me but haven't heard back about when I am actually scheduled. The date that worked best for me is only 2 weeks away so I really want to know!