Genetic Counseling Fall 2017 Applicants

KT123

2 hours ago, slaybackc said:

Awesome! That helps me out a lot.
And yes, the application states " Please provide a one page personal statement which explains your motivation for seeking a graduate degree in the Biomedical Sciences. This statement should discuss your professional career goals, your interest in science and why you are interested in obtaining your graduate degree at The University of Texas Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences at Houston." So, I did include what was asked from that prompt as well. My first post was more in reference to what was listed on the GC website, but thanks for making sure!
I appreciate all the information you've been able to provide :)

That sounds about right! Good luck with finishing your apps up :)

Really excited to almost be done with the application process. I just have to finish up the supplemental application for CSU and I'm done with all my GC apps!

While I was looking around on various GC stuff online I found a cool blog! It's focused at prospective and current GC students and has a lot of good info on how to decide on programs, readings, interviews of GC in different specialties, etc. 
https://mapsandgenes.wordpress.com/2014/02/10/best-resources-for-your-best-practice-anna/ This link goes to a post about different books, some textbooks and others just for fun, that I thought someone might be interested in since we'll have some more free time coming up, but I definitely suggest checking out some of their other posts. 

On Friday, December 30, 2016 at 5:36 PM, GC19 said:

Has anybody applied to Cincinnati and done the video essay? If so how was it?

I did it! The question was very general, and it seemed like I could have re-recorded it as many times as I needed to. 

@slaybackcslaybackc I was at Utahs career camp in May as well! We seem to be applying to a few of the same programs. Good luck!

I'm definitely nervous about my applications. My undergrad GPA was less than exciting. Turns out working full time and then some to pay for an education is not conducive to your education. Since then I've done well in the other classes I've taken and have decent GRE scores. I'm currently a services coordinator for people with intellectual and developmental disabilities, which definitely covers the advocacy requirements. I do needs assessments, identify risks, and work with Medicaid to help people live as independently as possible. My work is focused on giving people information in a way they can understand and supporting them in their choices. My supervisor has also been incredibly supportive and assigns people affected by unusual genetic conditions to me, when possible. By default, I've become the go-to person in the office when a coworker is trying to read charts.

As far as shadowing, I did a little back in 2011. I got to spend a day recently with genetic counselors in a nearby city as well. I also attended the AEC for the last two years and I feel like that gave me good insight into the field. I'm concerned that my lack of lab experience may come back to bite me.

Anyway, enough nervous ramblings. I look forward to hearing how everyone here does through the admissions process (and first year for those coming back to talk to us)! Good luck everyone!

17 hours ago, Gadgette said:

@slaybackcslaybackc I was at Utahs career camp in May as well! We seem to be applying to a few of the same programs. Good luck!

I'm definitely nervous about my applications. My undergrad GPA was less than exciting. Turns out working full time and then some to pay for an education is not conducive to your education. Since then I've done well in the other classes I've taken and have decent GRE scores. I'm currently a services coordinator for people with intellectual and developmental disabilities, which definitely covers the advocacy requirements. I do needs assessments, identify risks, and work with Medicaid to help people live as independently as possible. My work is focused on giving people information in a way they can understand and supporting them in their choices. My supervisor has also been incredibly supportive and assigns people affected by unusual genetic conditions to me, when possible. By default, I've become the go-to person in the office when a coworker is trying to read charts.

As far as shadowing, I did a little back in 2011. I got to spend a day recently with genetic counselors in a nearby city as well. I also attended the AEC for the last two years and I feel like that gave me good insight into the field. I'm concerned that my lack of lab experience may come back to bite me.

Anyway, enough nervous ramblings. I look forward to hearing how everyone here does through the admissions process (and first year for those coming back to talk to us)! Good luck everyone!

Then we probably met already :) Genetic counseling is such a small world. 
Good luck on everything! I am nervously counting down to February when we'll all start to hear about interviews!

On 1/3/2017 at 2:22 PM, Ultrapeaches said:

Emory just emailed me to invite me to an interview! I wasn't expecting to hear either way from anyone until the end of the month and am totally blown away. Ahhh! 

Oh wow! I just saw this! Congrats! I'm really hoping I start hearing things soon too. 

I finally sent in my last application today (supplemental to CSU, which I had to mail). Now starts the waiting game.

So, because I am a crazy person who likes organizing data, I went through the post results from fall 2016 applicants and organized a rough timeline of when they received their interview requests. Most schools didn't start contacting people last year until February at the earliest. My data pasted in as a table, so I hope the formatting doesn't get completely screwed up when I post this

early-mid Jan Emory North Carolina                
late jan - early feb Pittsburgh Stanford Michigan              
early feb Brandeis Minnesota Cincinnati Oklahoma            
early-mid feb UC Denver Boston Sarah Laurance Arkansas Utah UBC Toronto VCU Wayne State UT
mid feb Wisconsin Madison Maryland Arcadia Northwestern            
mid-late feb Icahn                  
late feb Irvine johns hopkins mcgill              
late feb-early March csus                  
mid march Augustana                  
Edited by Ultrapeaches

Ugh, one of my letter writers hasn't turned in letter for 3 schools that have deadlines on the 15th :( I sent her a reminder, but haven't heard back.. but I can see that she's been sending out emails via the listserv :/ 

It's making me nervous... I hope she submits them soon!

Stanford emailed me earlier this week asking that the two outstanding letters be submitted by yesterday. I've been tracking and reminding, but I talked to those recommenders again and they said they'd get them in. Cue super fun moment of panic today when I got an email that neither had submitted their letter yet! Luckily Stanford is not as strict on deadlines as I am and both were submitted today. All of my letters and materials should now be in for all of the programs to which I've applied. 

Now I just don't know what to do with my new found free time.

11 hours ago, Gadgette said:

Now I just don't know what to do with my new found free time.

Right?! I'm actually at the gym right now, and - get this - I'm not just gonna do a core lift, I'm gonna do accessories and then I'm even gonna take a shower. It feels straight up profligate.

I'm not totally out of the application obsession game, though; I've shifted focus to agonizing about interviews instead of essays. I've been vainly building an interview outfit and soliciting med school faculty for mock interviews. *Not* stressing out would just be out of character. 

On 8/15/2016 at 0:09 PM, SJMcGC said:

Hello! Thanks for getting this thread started for 2017 applicants. I just learned about GradCafe during the interview season this past spring and really wish I had known about it sooner.

I applied this past year to 8 programs and interviewed at 3 (University of Maryland, University of Alabama - Birmingham, and Emory University). I was waitlisted at Maryland and Birmingham but ultimately did not get in - the process is so, so competitive! I also went through the unmatched applicant process and interviewed by phone with Ohio State; this was also a great learning experience and I would encourage people to participate in this if they do not have success on Match day. I followed up with each of the program directors and they were all extremely helpful with feedback - so to all worrying about contacting them do not be timid, they appreciate people who look for advice and that kind of sticks out to them come time to review applications. I was a Psychology major and Biology minor but each of the programs commented that they would really like to see additional Biology courses. I am taking Embryology through the University of Cincinnati Program online - one of the directors told me about this option and it really works perfect for my schedule since I work full-time with an hour commute and do not have much time to attend a scheduled class in-person. Other feedback I received was to do some additional shadowing so I have set-up some ongoing shadowing days with the GCs in my area to improve in that area as well.

I have been working to narrow down the list of schools I would like to apply to for this season and keeping an eye out for programs that are opening for Fall 2017. I have found some information on 4 programs - University of Central Florida, University of South Florida, Rutgers, and University of Arizona. I have not seen that any besides South Florida have set-up a website yet but if anyone else finds out anything, it would be great to add info to this thread! I had also heard at one of my interviews that the University of Iowa may eventually be opening a program but have not been able to find anything online yet.

Looking forward to hearing from you all as we embark on another application season! Good luck everyone!

I know I'm WAY late on replying to this, but in case it's helpful to you or anyone else USF has posted info on their MSPH in genetic counseling. I can also help anyone with questions on this program. 

33 minutes ago, Gadgette said:

Oh yeah, even in my free time I can't not worry about interviews! Are you able to focus on the exercise or does it turn in to you mumbling answers to a non-existent interviewer? (I totally don't do that. Nope. Not at all.)

Oh my gosh I would never have admitted that if you hadn't done so first. But yes, I did manage to stop pondering my elevator pitch for moment to hit a personal record on deadlift - 200lbs for five reps. I'm happy with it considering my spotty gym attendance through fall semester.

Would you guys be open to an introduction interlude? People have said not GC-related things about themselves here and there, but I'm having a hard time keeping everyone straight. There is another Smithie here, right? (Hubbard 2010 drop out, yo!) Also we have a rare male applicant somewhere? 

I'm a mother of a 5 year old and a 2 year old, and a founding member/current resident of a cute little anarcho-communist intentional community with big dreams. I'm a reformed directionless ne'er-do-well closing in on 30; I went back and finally finished my undergraduate degree last year. When I'm not parenting or commune building or throwing myself into grad school applications, I'm a mediocre powerlifter and totally worthy boardgame player.

I'm a services coordinator for people with developmental disabilities in Oregon. I'm a 27 year old Californian transplant who moved here so my hubby could finish school. In my off time I like to hike, kayak, knit, and play games. Sometimes I pretend I run, but I think you have to go more than once or twice a month to call yourself a runner.

@ultrapeaches any particular board games?

Edited by Gadgette

@Gagette - I'm always down for some Eurogames (things like Settlers of Catan, Carcassonne, Dominion) but lately I've been more willing to branch out into storytelling-centric American-style games if they're not to long. My husband got Betrayal At House On The Hill as a Christmas present and I'm super into it.

What degree did your husband finish in CA? 

I'll join in!

I'm about to turn 22 next week, currently finishing up my B.S. at the University of Arizona in Molecular & Cellular Biology. I'm a military brat and have lived in 7 different places, but now call Arizona home. When I'm not studying for school, I also work part-time as the manager of the front desk of one of the residence halls on campus. Hobbies include excessive netflixing, trying new restaurants, and hanging out with my boyfriend and his pet dog. 

Something fun that I am doing this weekend to distract myself on all the application deadlines is going to the Grand Canyon for the first time!

@UltrapeachesUltrapeaches He got two bachelor degrees from Oregon State, Accounting and Business Information Systems. We're originally from California but are up north now. I keep hearing about Settlers of Catan, I think I need to try it!

@slaybackcslaybackc Any Netflix favorites? I have a habit of going through older shows on there so I don't end up with a ton of variety. Have fun at the Grand Canyon! It's incredible. 

2 minutes ago, Gadgette said:

@UltrapeachesUltrapeaches He got two bachelor degrees from Oregon State, Accounting and Business Information Systems. We're originally from California but are up north now. I keep hearing about Settlers of Catan, I think I need to try it!

@slaybackcslaybackc Any Netflix favorites? I have a habit of going through older shows on there so I don't end up with a ton of variety. Have fun at the Grand Canyon! It's incredible. 

Well for one, A Series of Unfortunate Events just got put on today and I just finished the first episode and I am in love. This show called Helix was really good and dealt with genetics, it follow CDC scientists as they go to various outbreaks and try to create cures (very unnatural/impossible situations arise but it's a Syfy show so what do you expect?), Stranger Things, 3%, Narcos, Orange is the New Black, Jane the Virgin (this is hilarious), Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt (also super funny), and Black Mirror if your into super weird shows (the first episode is very... odd, I suggest skipping it, but the rest are very good. Deals with technology and it's implications and possibilities of it in the future). 

Haha that was probably more than you ever cared for. But I am super stoked on the Grand Canyon. My boyfriend and I are going as an early birthday present, we're staying the night and just going to take it all in. He's majoring in Geology so he's pretty excited too (though he's been before). 

4 minutes ago, slaybackc said:

Well for one, A Series of Unfortunate Events just got put on today and I just finished the first episode and I am in love. This show called Helix was really good and dealt with genetics, it follow CDC scientists as they go to various outbreaks and try to create cures (very unnatural/impossible situations arise but it's a Syfy show so what do you expect?), Stranger Things, 3%, Narcos, Orange is the New Black, Jane the Virgin (this is hilarious), Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt (also super funny), and Black Mirror if your into super weird shows (the first episode is very... odd, I suggest skipping it, but the rest are very good. Deals with technology and it's implications and possibilities of it in the future). 

Haha that was probably more than you ever cared for. But I am super stoked on the Grand Canyon. My boyfriend and I are going as an early birthday present, we're staying the night and just going to take it all in. He's majoring in Geology so he's pretty excited too (though he's been before). 

I can't wait for the next Orange is the New Black season! I was sobbing at the last episode. Series of Unfortunate Events looks really good, that may just be my day on Monday.

Both of my in-laws are career geologists. It's a lot of fun going to different places and getting my own personal mini-lectures. Does he have a particular interest? And happy almost birthday!

4 minutes ago, Gadgette said:

I can't wait for the next Orange is the New Black season! I was sobbing at the last episode. Series of Unfortunate Events looks really good, that may just be my day on Monday.

Both of my in-laws are career geologists. It's a lot of fun going to different places and getting my own personal mini-lectures. Does he have a particular interest? And happy almost birthday!

Omgosh same! It was the worst cliff hanger. Unfortunate Events is only 8 episodes so you'd definitely be able to finish it all on Monday. 

Oh that's super awesome! I point out different formations and types of rocks and ask how they were formed or what type they are. He's really interested in mining, as long as that stays profitable, but he also has a BA in PoliSci that he already finished, so he's possibly hoping to tie the two together and go into mining law. And thank you!

I've been listening to the Series Of Unfortunate Events as audio books in my car with my kindergartener, and was waiting to finish the book series before starting on the show. I'm totally pumped about the casting of Neil Patrick Harris, though - he's such a versatile actor and a great fit for Olaf.

I'll put in another vote for Black Mirror, and yes, skip the first one. I wish I had.

My husband finally wore me down about Game of Thrones, so I am reluctantly starting that with him. 

Going to the Grand Canyon with a geologist sounds perfect, like going to an art museum with an art history major. You'll get your own personalized guided tour!

At some point I read the series, but long enough ago to not remember much more than that I really enjoyed them. 

I'm excited that I'm at a point where i can read purely for enjoyment! Although most of the books on my nightstand are somewhat based in genetics. I am going to make a quick plug here for everyone to read Lean In. Not about genetics, but an excellent and eye opening read.

My letter writer came through and submitted just in time! I was getting soo nervous for a little there. But now I'm in the same boat as everyone else, except I don't really have much more free time since school started back up again. So i'm going to try to find time to start reading up more on genetic issues while also staying on top of my readings for class lol.