Genetic Counseling Fall 2017 Applicants

KT123

2 hours ago, atx09 said:

Hi, it looks like I found this forum a little late, would have been really helpful during applications, but I got an interview for Emory. I'm just hoping someone has some general advice about how the interview will go. I'm also a little thrown off on what the 'writing exercise' is, anyone have any feedback on this?

I did a writing exercise for UT Houston so no guarantees it's the same sort of thing, but I bet it's not terribly different.

I was nervous about it too, but it's really nothing to be worried about - honestly it'll probably feel like a "break" from the actual interviews. At UT, they put us in a room by ourselves and we just answered some simple prompts. It was mostly situational and about interpersonal things (not quizzing you about genetics or anything similar), like "how would you respond if your supervisor told you XYZ?". In my experience, they definitely provided sufficient time to complete the exercise and I didn't feel like there were any difficult or trick questions. They just want to get to know you and this is another way for them to learn about how you think.

Feel free to send me a message if you have any more questions about how interviews are conducted!

2 hours ago, atx09 said:

Hi, it looks like I found this forum a little late, would have been really helpful during applications, but I got an interview for Emory. I'm just hoping someone has some general advice about how the interview will go. I'm also a little thrown off on what the 'writing exercise' is, anyone have any feedback on this?

I am also nervous about the writing exercise. I talked to a med school applicant that said one of his interviews has a writing component and the question was something like, "What should a patient ask their doctor?" Basically, a question requiring no specialized knowledge or practice with a particular kind of writing. Just a 4-5 paragraph essay demonstrating your ability to form a cogent sentence and organize your writing.

When are you going to Emory? My interview date is Feb 2nd.

Edited by Ultrapeaches
Left out a word

22 hours ago, UTGC said:

I did a writing exercise for UT Houston so no guarantees it's the same sort of thing, but I bet it's not terribly different.

I was nervous about it too, but it's really nothing to be worried about - honestly it'll probably feel like a "break" from the actual interviews. At UT, they put us in a room by ourselves and we just answered some simple prompts. It was mostly situational and about interpersonal things (not quizzing you about genetics or anything similar), like "how would you respond if your supervisor told you XYZ?". In my experience, they definitely provided sufficient time to complete the exercise and I didn't feel like there were any difficult or trick questions. They just want to get to know you and this is another way for them to learn about how you think.

Feel free to send me a message if you have any more questions about how interviews are conducted!

That puts me a bit more at ease, thank you!! I was a little nervous it would be based off a scientific paper or something like that. I really do hope it's something that based more on personality/situations.

Thanks, I will more than likely send you a message haha

22 hours ago, Ultrapeaches said:

I am also nervous about the writing exercise. I talked to a med school applicant that said one of his interviews has a writing component and the question was something like, "What should a patient ask their doctor?" Basically, a question requiring no specialized knowledge or practice with a particular kind of writing. Just a 4-5 paragraph essay demonstrating your ability to form a cogent sentence and organize your writing.

When are you going to Emory? My interview date is Feb 2nd.

Hmm, seems like there's not a great way to prep for that, but it seems doable. :)

My is Feb. 9th, I got too nervous to put down the 2nd. I was hoping I had found an uber buddy to the airport

Just got an email from Oklahoma that one of my letter writers hadn't submitted their letter. Ugh, they said it needs to be in by Friday.. 
One writer already responded and sent her confirmation email, so at least it's narrowed down to two possibilities... but she was the one I thought had forgotten it.

Hopefully it gets submitted in time and everything works out. 

Also received one of the letters @Gadgette received from CSUStan, mine was the one stating I was a non-California resident. 

2 hours ago, slaybackc said:

Just got an email from Oklahoma that one of my letter writers hadn't submitted their letter. Ugh, they said it needs to be in by Friday.. 
One writer already responded and sent her confirmation email, so at least it's narrowed down to two possibilities... but she was the one I thought had forgotten it.

Hopefully it gets submitted in time and everything works out. 

Also received one of the letters @Gadgette received from CSUStan, mine was the one stating I was a non-California resident. 

I wonder if you'll get the whole affidavit thing too.

47 minutes ago, Gadgette said:

I wonder if you'll get the whole affidavit thing too.

For the residency classification?

Likely not. I just read through it all and I did not attend high school or undergrad in California, so I will have to keep my out of state classification, as well as out of state tuition (which I was expecting so not a big deal).

Yeah. I wonder about whether in-state versus out-of-state tuition has any effect on admissions decisions, whether conscious or not. I can't really see it being a factor, but I am so curious about the admissions decisions that I'm currently over analyzing everything.

My husband is currently deciding on an intern to hire for his job. I'm far more nitpicky about little things on resumes than he is now.

I am so nervous this week with all the anticipation of possibly receiving an email or phone call. I was told by the admissions at Indiana State that interviews would be coming out by the middle of Jan. ( the first interview date is Feb 18th), so I have been "patiently" waiting the last 2 weeks. I just noticed someone received an email yesterday from Indiana State's program, so nervous :(

2 hours ago, JN212 said:

I am so nervous this week with all the anticipation of possibly receiving an email or phone call. I was told by the admissions at Indiana State that interviews would be coming out by the middle of Jan. ( the first interview date is Feb 18th), so I have been "patiently" waiting the last 2 weeks. I just noticed someone received an email yesterday from Indiana State's program, so nervous :(

After stalking the old Results stuff I've convinced myself that this is likely the first possible week I could hear back. I know some people have gotten responses from one program I applied to, so now I'm even more neurotic about checking my email, mail, school sites, smoke signals, etc.  Where all did you apply?

44 minutes ago, Gadgette said:

After stalking the old Results stuff I've convinced myself that this is likely the first possible week I could hear back. I know some people have gotten responses from one program I applied to, so now I'm even more neurotic about checking my email, mail, school sites, smoke signals, etc.  Where all did you apply?

I wish I could have applied to more schools but I was limited geographically. I applied to U. Cinn, Ohio State, Indiana State, Indiana University, and U. Pitt. I was rejected by U.Pitt last week which stinked but, on the bright side I was only rejected because they didn't like my GRE scores. I didn't think Cincinnati or I.U. would say anything until Feb. but it may be sooner than anticipated since someone already received an email from U.Cinn. Where did you apply?

16 minutes ago, JN212 said:

I wish I could have applied to more schools but I was limited geographically. I applied to U. Cinn, Ohio State, Indiana State, Indiana University, and U. Pitt. I was rejected by U.Pitt last week which stinked but, on the bright side I was only rejected because they didn't like my GRE scores. I didn't think Cincinnati or I.U. would say anything until Feb. but it may be sooner than anticipated since someone already received an email from U.Cinn. Where did you apply?

I am also waiting anxiously to hear back from Indiana State after seeing it show up on the results forum. I wish you the best and hopefully we haven't heard back yet since it takes more effort to accept someone than it does to reject them.

I have my first day of volunteering at the local AIDS foundation later today :) I'm likely just helping with mailing campaigns or putting together condom packets for distribution today, but once my references are all sorted out I am moving to work in Reception (so I'll get direct face-to-face contact with clients). And once their building move is completed I can start as a Peer Counselor! 

I am very excited for this opportunity and wish I had found out about the organization sooner, as this experience would have looked nice on my application, but hopefully I still can some interviews and can talk about it during those as well!

The first school I should be hearing back from is Stanford as last years results showed late January/early February and I am not convinced that I'll get an interview from them, but it doesn't stop me from wanting to know already!

1 hour ago, JN212 said:

I applied to UC Irvine, Pittsburgh, Stanislaus, Stanford, Arkansas, Virginia Commonwealth, and Utah. I actually took Cincinnati's Embryology course online (sadly not for credit) and debated applying there because I felt it was such a good class.  I'm in a state with no programs so I have to move anyway. 

Good luck!

23 minutes ago, slaybackc said:

I have my first day of volunteering at the local AIDS foundation later today :) I'm likely just helping with mailing campaigns or putting together condom packets for distribution today, but once my references are all sorted out I am moving to work in Reception (so I'll get direct face-to-face contact with clients). And once their building move is completed I can start as a Peer Counselor! 

I am very excited for this opportunity and wish I had found out about the organization sooner, as this experience would have looked nice on my application, but hopefully I still can some interviews and can talk about it during those as well!

The first school I should be hearing back from is Stanford as last years results showed late January/early February and I am not convinced that I'll get an interview from them, but it doesn't stop me from wanting to know already!

That's awesome and really important work!  I hope you enjoy it. =)

1 hour ago, minja134 said:

I am also waiting anxiously to hear back from Indiana State after seeing it show up on the results forum. I wish you the best and hopefully we haven't heard back yet since it takes more effort to accept someone than it does to reject them.

Thank you and the best to you too. I am hoping that's the reason we haven't heard back yet. I was worried that others had received notice last week about interviews, I'm so relieved that no one else has seemed to hear anything. 

4 minutes ago, JN212 said:

Thank you and the best to you too. I am hoping that's the reason we haven't heard back yet. I was worried that others had received notice last week about interviews, I'm so relieved that no one else has seemed to hear anything. 

They were also a brand new program last year, so they probably had less applicants last year compared to this year so the process might take a little longer for them. They even had a slot available last year for post-match. Last year they had 20+ people requesting post-match, selected 10 for a Skype interview, and selected 3 of those for an official interview. I was able to get a Skype interview with them but was not selected for the official interview since I am extremely awkward over Skype. So I'm hoping they liked whatever they did last year for this year's formal application.

For my background, as I have been lurking on this forum a lot more than posting: 3.51 GPA, 156Q/153V/4.0A GRE, working in Alzheimer's disease research for 3 years undergraduate and 3 years full time now, some shadowing experience in both cancer and prenatal, and volunteer work with both a children with special needs basketball league and with a woman's domestic violence group. This is my third cycle, with the first time I just applied to Northwestern and did not get an interview and last year I applied to Northwestern, WI, and IU, and got an interview only at Northwestern got waitlisted towards the top of the list. This year I have applied to NW, WI, IU, ISU, Ann Arbor MI, and Augustana in SD. Hopefully persistence is a desired quality in the application process. I wanted to put all this out there for anyone feeling a bit down about any rejections, things do get better and don't give up hope!

Hey Guys. Late to the thread but wanted to talk with other nervous applicants.

I have a BS in Biology and minor in Psychology

I was a research assistant for 1 semester in a psychology lab

Graduated Cum Laude with a 3.549 GPA. My GRE scores made me cry except my writing which was a 93% (I had a 144 verbal and 147 math).

I shadowed at CHOP (neurology and metabolism clinics) and at MD Anderson cancer center. I had lunch with 2 cancer genetic counselors from Virtua hospital.

I have volunteered at a crisis hotline just over a year now. I have worked for an Endocrinologist for the past year as well.

This Is my first year applying. I applied to U North Carolina Greensboro, U South Carolina, Virginia Commonwealth, U South Florida, Rutgers, and Arcadia. I heard back from my top school today (UNCG) and did not get accepted :-(. Waiting on the others with my fingers crossed. Has anyone looked into the BayPath Genetic Counseling program? It's new but it's the only program I've seen where most of it is online; seems strange for a Genetic counseling program and I was wondering if anyone applied to them or has much information on them ? Their program doesn't begin until October!

So Far:

• Applied: 6
  • Rejected (1/6): UNCG
  • Interview(0/6):
Edited by GCFaith92

26 minutes ago, GCFaith92 said:

Graduated Cum Laude with a 3.549 GPA. My GRE scores made me cry except my writing which was a 93% (I had a 144 verbal and 147 math).

I shadowed at CHOP (neurology and metabolism clinics) and at MD Anderson cancer center. I had lunch with 2 cancer genetic counselors from Virtua hospital.

I have volunteered at a crisis hotline just over a year now. I have worked for an Endocrinologist for the past year as well.

This Is my first year applying. I applied to U North Carolina Greensboro, U South Carolina, Virginia Commonwealth, U South Florida, Rutgers, and Arcadia. I heard back from my top school today (UNCG) and did not get accepted :-(. Waiting on the others with my fingers crossed. Has anyone looked into the BayPath Genetic Counseling program? It's new but it's the only program I've seen where most of it is online; seems strange for a Genetic counseling program and I was wondering if anyone applied to them or has much information on them ? Their program doesn't begin until October!

So Far:

• Interview(0/6):

I've heard mixed things about GRE scores and how much they actually matter. Have you seen Twice Born? I got to go to a talk on fetal surgery that included one of the doctors there and it was incredible!!

10 minutes ago, Gadgette said:

I've heard mixed things about GRE scores and how much they actually matter. Have you seen Twice Born? I got to go to a talk on fetal surgery that included one of the doctors there and it was incredible!!

Yeah, I've also heard mixed things about GRE scores, I just couldn't financially take it again so soon ( I took it in October). I have been working 2 jobs to put aside 2 years of rent money because I assume once in the program, we cannot hold a job in order to afford rent and I refuse to live off of loans. Luckily my Boyfriend of 4 years will move with me where ever I get accepted, so that will help with money, but saving money ASAP was my primary goal. If I do not get accepted anywhere this year, I do plan to retake the GRE.

I have not seen Twice Born. Just looked it up though and it looks awesome!

59 minutes ago, GCFaith92 said:

So Far:

• Interview(0/6):

I was signed up for Bay Path's Webinar on the 19th, but slept through it.. oops. But it seems like a weird hybrid idea. So for people who might still want to work, are doing a career change, or have children is seems like a great program! Online classes with in-person things on the weekends. It's definitely a neat idea and I toyed with applying, but I don't want to live in that area and don't have a need for a hybrid program like that. 

I'm sure they have limited applicants since it is a new program, so it probably would be a good idea to apply if anyone is super worried about getting in. 

I'm excited to see this board be more active! Welcome to all the new/lurking members :)

26 minutes ago, slaybackc said:

I was signed up for Bay Path's Webinar on the 19th, but slept through it.. oops. But it seems like a weird hybrid idea. So for people who might still want to work, are doing a career change, or have children is seems like a great program! Online classes with in-person things on the weekends. It's definitely a neat idea and I toyed with applying, but I don't want to live in that area and don't have a need for a hybrid program like that. 

I'm sure they have limited applicants since it is a new program, so it probably would be a good idea to apply if anyone is super worried about getting in. 

I'm excited to see this board be more active! Welcome to all the new/lurking members :)

Yeah It seems different for sure, but I was debating applying just as a "safe" school. But I am unsure. Does anyone know anything about U of South Florida? I did their application via SOPHAS (which is a money scam and awful!!) After paying to have my transcripts sent to SOPHAS they make you enter every single course and its code and grade your received anyway! OR you could pay $90 to have them enter it for you (on top of the $135 application fee for SOPHAS) and than I had to do a supplemental application for the specific genetic counseling program which cost an addition $35. 1 of my transcripts was sent on 1/4/17 and STILL not received. I'm getting so frustrated!