Genetic Counseling Fall 2017 Applicants

KT123

6 minutes ago, Ellaie said:

They didn't give a timeline on when to decide, but said that interview slots fill up fast and they're first come first serve.  I guess I could accept and then later decline, but I would feel a little shady doing that.  As of right now it's not one of my top choices.  That's all just from reading things online and thinking about living in New York though. Maybe if I visited the program my opinion would change?  It'd be nice if all the schools notified of interviews at the same time so I already knew what my other options are.

I feel location is a big deal (at least for me), so if you're already having reservation based on that, it might be something that doesn't change in the future.
But, in the end it is up to you, so just do what you feel is best for you!

19 hours ago, csm said:

Hey guys! I have been stalking this thread, but I figured I could speak up. 

So far I have received offers to interview at Augustana, Indiana State, and Wayne State, but am still waiting to hear back on more. This is my first time applying, and I wish there was more idea of when we'd hear back from other schools. 

Best of luck to everyone! Has anyone found really useful interview prep questions? I guess this is more for people who have interviewed in the past or have starting prepping. 

Congrats on the interviews! 

I struggled to find any decent websites with interview prep questions, especially for genetic counseling specifically. But after interviewing last year, I think my best advice is to be prepared to answer "tell me about yourself" which was how quite a few of the interviews started. Beyond that, be prepared to talk more in depth about experiences that are unique to you (counseling experiences, research projects, any shadowing you've done, etc) and any insights that you may have gained from them and how they're relevant to wanting to become a GC. I got tripped up last year when someone asked me what the most difficult situation I observed when shadowing was, so try to have some specific highlights for each in the back of your mind, especially for experiences you may have written about in your personal statement. 

I'm sure this goes without saying, but definitely be prepared to ask the interviewers questions as well. If you know who you're interviewing with, try to look them up and ask them questions relevant to their role with the program. 

Hopefully my advice helps a little. I think I saw someone else mention it somewhere in the forum, but also try not to get too overwhelmed by hearing other applicants backgrounds - that definitely tripped me up at one of my interview dates and then my interviews that day went pretty badly.

12 minutes ago, Ellaie said:

They didn't give a timeline on when to decide, but said that interview slots fill up fast and they're first come first serve.  I guess I could accept and then later decline, but I would feel a little shady doing that.  As of right now it's not one of my top choices.  That's all just from reading things online and thinking about living in New York though. Maybe if I visited the program my opinion would change?  It'd be nice if all the schools notified of interviews at the same time so I already knew what my other options are.

I've got to second what slaybackc said. Location is a big deal and you have to be comfortable/not miserable where you go. It is only two years though. I know it's hard to say no to an interview between the time and money you've put in to it and the fear of not getting other acceptances, but if you ultimately don't want to be there you should focus on your other potential programs instead.

9 minutes ago, slaybackc said:

I feel location is a big deal (at least for me), so if you're already having reservation based on that, it might be something that doesn't change in the future.
But, in the end it is up to you, so just do what you feel is best for you!

True, but I've never actually been to New York before.  My roommate is from there, and she's pushing for me to go to the interview because she loves New York.  I found out there's a flight that leaves early in the morning from Chicago and heads back at 10PM that would allow me to make it to the interview for only $81.  It might be manageable to get just that one day off of work.

2 minutes ago, Ellaie said:

True, but I've never actually been to New York before.  My roommate is from there, and she's pushing for me to go to the interview because she loves New York.  I found out there's a flight that leaves early in the morning from Chicago and heads back at 10PM that would allow me to make it to the interview for only $81.  It might be manageable to get just that one day off of work.

If it is a hardship to get off of work, you could try contacting the program and see if you could do a Skype interview. The only big downside to that is that you won't get to see the area. I know some programs do offer that option in some circumstances, so at least it's something to consider.

15 minutes ago, Ellaie said:

I'm going to play devil's advocate here: You should definitely go then. I can't imagine an ORD to the New York area flight could be uncommon. If you already know in your heart you don't want it that's one thing, but if it's more the unknown...go see! New York is incredible and I can't think of a better reason to go spend the day in the city! There will always be more PTO in the future, but there might not be more interviews. Just my 2 cents. 

13 minutes ago, Blizzard said:

I'm going to play devil's advocate here: You should definitely go then. I can't imagine an ORD to the New York area flight could be uncommon. If you already know in your heart you don't want it that's one thing, but if it's more the unknown...go see! New York is incredible and I can't think of a better reason to go spend the day in the city! There will always be more PTO in the future, but there might not be more interviews. Just my 2 cents. 

@Ellaie I agree, you should go for it! That is a great price for the flight, and if you can get the time off, you should absolutely go to the interview.  You have already put in the time and effort into completing the application, it would be a shame to turn down an interview at the program with largest class size (and probably highest acceptance rate).  And if you have never been to NY, I think it is worth a visit to get a feel for the city and the campus before you make up your mind.

Edited by metabolismo

8 minutes ago, Finley764 said:

Has anyone heard from Minnesota yet?? Beginning to freak out a little -- I think they had sent out interview requests by this pt last yr. :huh:

Still haven't heard from them yet - I interviewed there last year and was waitlisted, so I'm freaking out as well! I thought for sure I'd hear from them.

I am so envious of all of you hearing back from programs and being offered interviews! Sitting here refreshing my Inbox like mad... haha :)

@Ellaie I totally agree with what most have encouraged - Go check it out! I also applied to SLC this year (this is my third year applying to programs) and I had not applied there previously because of the unknown - never been to New York, it's a completely different environment than where I am from (small town girl), and concern about cost of living. Setting my worries aside - they are the longest standing program and a large majority of individuals in the profession have graduated from there! I have shadowed with a SLC alumni and she loved it there. If you feel confident that it is going to fall towards the bottom of your list regardless of the experience the interview might offer, then maybe pass up the interview. For me personally, I am planning on burning up all the PTO I have accrued in the case that I am offered interviews at every program I applied to - my bank account is going to be hurting nonetheless.

36 minutes ago, Finley764 said:

Has anyone heard from Minnesota yet?? Beginning to freak out a little -- I think they had sent out interview requests by this pt last yr. :huh:

A lot of schools had sent out interviews by this time last year, so I think schools might just be behind or something? Possibly more applicants?
Based on the results tab, Stanford, Oklahoma, and I think Utah had all sent out at least a couple of interviews by now.  So, I'm trying not to freak out, but the wait is killing me too 

10 minutes ago, SJMcGC said:

I am so envious of all of you hearing back from programs and being offered interviews! Sitting here refreshing my Inbox like mad... haha :)

@Ellaie I totally agree with what most have encouraged - Go check it out! I also applied to SLC this year (this is my third year applying to programs) and I had not applied there previously because of the unknown - never been to New York, it's a completely different environment than where I am from (small town girl), and concern about cost of living. Setting my worries aside - they are the longest standing program and a large majority of individuals in the profession have graduated from there! I have shadowed with a SLC alumni and she loved it there. If you feel confident that it is going to fall towards the bottom of your list regardless of the experience the interview might offer, then maybe pass up the interview. For me personally, I am planning on burning up all the PTO I have accrued in the case that I am offered interviews at every program I applied to - my bank account is going to be hurting nonetheless.

I really wish I could set a time on gmail so I could only check it every so often. But then again I'd just be checking here more, I guess.

I didn't apply to SLC for the same reason you previously didn't. Then afterwards I remembered that someone in my office grew up not far from there and asked her about the area. After that conversation, I should have applied! Maybe next year if I don't get in this year.

Cheers to empty bank accounts! 

6 minutes ago, slaybackc said:

A lot of schools had sent out interviews by this time last year, so I think schools might just be behind or something? Possibly more applicants?
Based on the results tab, Stanford, Oklahoma, and I think Utah had all sent out at least a couple of interviews by now.  So, I'm trying not to freak out, but the wait is killing me too 

I got an email from Stanford on the 12th that they were still missing letters and needed them ASAP because they were going to start reviewing applications the next day. So hopefully we'll start to hear soon!

My GC mentor was one of the first classes to graduate from SLC. I was really thinking about applying as well, but the same fears/I really did not like NYC when I visited in high school. I'd probably apply if I don't get in this cycle though.

I visited the SLC campus, and it is definitely not a 'big city' feel at all - it is actually located north of NYC and is in a very beautiful town. I suppose its all relative as I am from a city lol, and also know that many rotations for them do take place in NYC and metro areas, but the location of the campus itself is very open and green and outside of the bustle.  

2 minutes ago, Gadgette said:

I got an email from Stanford on the 12th that they were still missing letters and needed them ASAP because they were going to start reviewing applications the next day. So hopefully we'll start to hear soon!

Oh good! This is good to hear. I thinking we'll be hearing back any day now! Last years results had notices as early as 1/27 but up till 2/5 or so they were still be sent out. 

I SHOULD be hearing from Stanford and OK hopefully by the 6th, and Utah said on their website letters would be sent out on the 13th. I just have to be patient (which is the last quality anyone would ever attribute to me :lol:)

2 minutes ago, slaybackc said:

Oh good! This is good to hear. I thinking we'll be hearing back any day now! Last years results had notices as early as 1/27 but up till 2/5 or so they were still be sent out. 

I SHOULD be hearing from Stanford and OK hopefully by the 6th, and Utah said on their website letters would be sent out on the 13th. I just have to be patient (which is the last quality anyone would ever attribute to me :lol:)

I missed that on Utah's website, so thank you! That means I can relax at least a smidgeon. For now.

I heard through the grapevine that Minnesota was reviewing applications last week. Also in checking back on previous years, my notification from Minnesota for rejections came in the second/third week of February.

21 hours ago, Finley764 said:

I also have an interview at Augustana -- what date did you pick?? 

March 31st! It's the best day for me since I'm still in my last semester of undergrad and I have to fly. How about you?

13 hours ago, HC929 said:

Congrats on all your offers!! I also received one to Wayne and am interviewing on March 10! Have you picked a day yet?

Yes! February 24th for me. 

5 minutes ago, Gadgette said:

I missed that on Utah's website, so thank you! That means I can relax at least a smidgeon. For now.

No worries! 
It's under their program/application timeline! A couple schools have vague ones, but I love that Utah's had exact dates. I wish every school would have one, it'd definitely help us all relax some

1 hour ago, kbash said:

Congrats on the interviews! 

I struggled to find any decent websites with interview prep questions, especially for genetic counseling specifically. But after interviewing last year, I think my best advice is to be prepared to answer "tell me about yourself" which was how quite a few of the interviews started. Beyond that, be prepared to talk more in depth about experiences that are unique to you (counseling experiences, research projects, any shadowing you've done, etc) and any insights that you may have gained from them and how they're relevant to wanting to become a GC. I got tripped up last year when someone asked me what the most difficult situation I observed when shadowing was, so try to have some specific highlights for each in the back of your mind, especially for experiences you may have written about in your personal statement. 

I'm sure this goes without saying, but definitely be prepared to ask the interviewers questions as well. If you know who you're interviewing with, try to look them up and ask them questions relevant to their role with the program. 

Hopefully my advice helps a little. I think I saw someone else mention it somewhere in the forum, but also try not to get too overwhelmed by hearing other applicants backgrounds - that definitely tripped me up at one of my interview dates and then my interviews that day went pretty badly.

Thank you! And that is good advice. Good luck with applications!

16 minutes ago, slaybackc said:

Utah said on their website letters would be sent out on the 13th. I just have to be patient (which is the last quality anyone would ever attribute to me :lol:)

Same. I will not be breathing into a paper bag in the corner until this date. At least for Utah.

29 minutes ago, slaybackc said:

Stanford has sent out interview invites for this cycle already? I must have missed that, ahhh!

Does anyone have an opinion on if it's a bad idea to call schools and ask them when they'll be sending the next batch? I haven't heard anything from Cincinnati or Ohio State, and I know from the results tab Cincinnati has sent at least 2-3. Ohio State said prospective applicants would be notified by the end of January. January is...now over. But also in the results tab, it looks like only one person has mentioned Ohio state contacting them yet? I heard in December that those of us who turned our stuff in before the fellowship deadline would hear soonest, but I haven't. I'm a little paranoid to contact either of them for fear it will reflect negatively on me. 

My days at work this week consist of keeping this tab in my browser perpetually during the day, and trying to pass time at night. I feel like I'm in a holding pattern.