Genetic Counseling Fall 2017 Applicants

KT123

Hi everyone! 

I am excited to have stumbled across this forum. I applied to U of SC, UAMS, UAB, and UNC-G. So far I have only received a rejection from UNC-G, but I have not heard back from any of the other schools yet. Waiting is so awful!!!

8 hours ago, GCapplicant2017 said:

For any of you applying to Canadian schools - has anyone heard back from the University of Toronto yet? 

Nope, not yet! They did send me an email last week asking about one of the classes on my transcript, so they are looking at applications currently!

I can already tell this week is going to be brutal; I'm fully expecting to be contacted by most of the rest of my schools this week, and I don't have great feelings about CU Denver or Cincinnati, seeing as they've already sent out at least some of their interview invitations. I can't stop thinking about checking my email, whether I did well enough at my Emory interview, whether I'll get any more, etc etc etc.

How are you guys holding up?

10 minutes ago, Ultrapeaches said:

I can already tell this week is going to be brutal; I'm fully expecting to be contacted by most of the rest of my schools this week, and I don't have great feelings about CU Denver or Cincinnati, seeing as they've already sent out at least some of their interview invitations. I can't stop thinking about checking my email, whether I did well enough at my Emory interview, whether I'll get any more, etc etc etc.

Checking my email nearly constantly and going over potential interview questions in my head. I've been trying to think of situations I've been in that are relevant.

The thing I keep reminding myself is that there are 77 days until Match Day, and they have to send interview invites before then, so every day I go without hearing something increases the odds that I'll hear something (good or bad) the next day.  

26 minutes ago, Ultrapeaches said:

Right there with ya! Seeing responses on the results page from several schools I have applied to certainly adds to the anxiety. Just trying to stay positive and think good thoughts - hope the shopping at Costco brings you good fortune ;)

14 minutes ago, GCFaith92 said:

Got a call from Rutgers today!! Interviewing on the 27th!

Congrats! I am excited for you :D --- and a bit hopeful that I will hear from them today as well! Good luck with the interview!

42 minutes ago, Ultrapeaches said:

Also anxiously waiting to hear something from Denver. 

3 minutes ago, GenChopeful said:

Has anyone heard from Ohio State yet? Their website says that they would let us know by the end of January if we would be invited for an interview or not. It's February... :( 

No, but I'm busy stressing about it as well. It looks like there's two in the results who have heard from them, though.

Edited by Blizzard

Has anyone heard back from Stanford? This is my first time applying and I thought they might be the first to get back to me with an interview or rejection because of how early their deadline was, but it doesn't look like that is the case. 

44 minutes ago, GCHopeful said:

Has anyone heard back from Stanford? This is my first time applying and I thought they might be the first to get back to me with an interview or rejection because of how early their deadline was, but it doesn't look like that is the case. 

In my experience, the California schools tended to be a bit behind the rest of the country with interview offers!

48 minutes ago, GCHopeful said:

Based on last year's results, they should be getting back to us this week hopefully!

17 hours ago, GenChopeful said:

Aaahh!! Rutgers calls you to invite you to an interview instead of emailing you???:wacko:

Yes!! Well I am not sure If they call and email, but I got a call at least :-) so I'd assume they call those who they will interview

On 2/2/2017 at 6:29 PM, GCFaith92 said:

As long as it is In complete status you are fine! If does NOT need to be verified according to USF. I called and they said my SOPHAS was complete, even thought it still says verifying and the school said that is all they need. However, I never got any sort of confirmation when it went complete, like no email or anything, did you receive anything?

Hey! I just received an email today that my application has been verified and that they would make my calculated GPA available to USF in about an hour. I'm so relieved! and I've just realized that I spent $422 on USF's application - I really hope they at least review the application haha. and CONGRATS on your interview to Rutgers! I still haven't heard from them as yet =/ But I'm staying hopeful! 

Edited by KeepSwimming2017

21 hours ago, Ultrapeaches said:

Panicking just like everyone else :( but it's comforting to look at the results tab and see that no one else has heard from my other schools either! I'm not alone!

On 2/1/2017 at 2:24 PM, plunker said:

Hey everyone, I've been reading this thread also. I'm also super nervous!

My test scores are pretty good and I've been working in genetic labs classifying variants for the last three years with tons of GC exposure. I have very little advocacy experience, though, which makes me nervous, and almost no clinical shadowing. I've been a youth counselor with a church youth group for about a year, but I have no idea if they'll think that's patient-oriented enough. Is anyone else using something like that for the advocacy??

I only applied to one school (Utah) because I wouldn't be able to relocate this fall. If I don't get in, I'll be able to apply to more schools next year!

I'm in a similar situation as you.  I am so nervous!  My test scores and GPA are above average, but I do not have traditional advocacy experience (I have some from different committees I was on, but I am not sure admissions people will accept my explanation or not).  I have some clinical shadowing, very minimal, but I was a nurse assistant so hopefully that counts for something with patient exposure and experience!

I am so glad to see that someone else only applied to one school this cycle as well (Wisconsin) due to some family stuff and not being able to relocate.  Good luck to you!

52 minutes ago, Blizzard said:

Alright, someone in results heard from Ohio State today apparently. My panic attack continues. 

They just called me a few minutes ago to invite me for an interview, so looks like they're still making calls.  One thing that was a little weird about it was they told me the date they wanted me to interview instead of asking which one would work best for me.  

I'm starting to think that I applied to too many schools...

Edited by Ellaie

28 minutes ago, Ellaie said:

They just called me a few minutes ago to invite me for an interview, so looks like they're still making calls.  One thing that was a little weird about it was they told me the date they wanted me to interview instead of asking which one would work best for me.  

That is a little different. When did they give you, if you don't mind my asking? End of this month? Or March? I just got back to my computer and it looks like you are #2 to get the call today. So they must be making them today. 

I wish I had your problem of applying to too many! 

I just left costco. Nada. 

34 minutes ago, Ellaie said:

Congrats! I met someone at my Emory interview that had already interviewed at OSU in January- they must do several waves, which could explain their particularity about scheduling.