History 2010

Sparky

I agree..so frustrating..Any of the UVA admits out there care to share with us your subfield?

Hey, I'm one of them. 19th and 20th century American cultural, economic, and political, with a dash of transnational. It was on site without any prior warning, so if anyone is curious, check your application (although I am sure you already have checked something like a million times)

Edited by deuterides

Following the notices of others, I just checked the UVA website (just after midnight eastern time on the 19th) and discovered that I was accepted. I didn't receive an email from anyone. The notification on the website is a very generic note from the GSAS. So I second deuterides.

I study early 19th century American cultural history--religion and capitalism.

Congratulations!! As a recent product of the Yale MA program, I highly recommend it. New Haven isn't half as bad as its reputation makes it out to be. I actually quite enjoyed it.

I grew up there, actually. It's fine. It's got the same issues as any city, so just follow the same precautions. There are plenty of great new restaurants and things to do.

I also got the official acceptance email from UT Austin, but I haven't posted on the results page. I'm also Caribbean/Latin America.

Congrats! I got into UVA for the same thing. What's your focus? I've been working on 19th and early 20th century Chile.

Are the UVA admits all checking on line? Any emails?

Also, how do you check online? My app there has no"check status" option...

At the bottom of my application page it has this:

Decision Status: Available beginning 2/18/2010

# Your application decision is now available online

and the 'decision' is a hyperlink.

Thanks for the help. I guess it just wasn't showing up on mine because they hadn't made a decision. It just popped up this evening though, and I got in! Hooray!

I'm an Africanist, if that helps anyone else.

At the bottom of my application page it has this:

Decision Status: Available beginning 2/18/2010

# Your application decision is now available online

and the 'decision' is a hyperlink.

FYI for those interested in Stanford: I received an email this afternoon that I am on the waitlist. The department has sent out their admit letters, and before they go to the waitlist they need to get back at least 6 rejections.

Good luck to those of you waiting on Stanford!

Berkeley just sent me ANOTHER email telling me I was rejected. Thanks for rubbing it in, Berkeley.

I got that from Cornell last year, too. While it sucks right now, looking back, it was quite funny. It was almost like they were saying, "just in case you didn't get our first message ..."

But, sorry to hear about the rejection!

Edited by seahistory

I got accepted to UVA later yesterday as well. There seems to be even less information on the acceptance letter than even Wisconsin provided.

At least this restores my faith that when a PA seems really interested in your work, they are not always lying. I got such an enthusiastic response over there that I was crushed to think that I was rejected anyways.

I got that from Cornell last year, too. While it sucks right now, looking back, it was quite funny. It was almost like they were saying, "just in case you didn't get our first message ..."

Didn't Yale say something about receiving an official rejection letter later, too? Maybe I'm remembering wrong, because that would take a LOT of paper.

They did that to everyone at Berkeley, including the admits. It scared me quite a bit. I think the difference was the first e-mail was from the department and the second was from the entire GSAS. Still, that was pretty nasty of them. One would think they could just have a unified system . . . but maybe that's too much to ask considering California's budget crisis.

Didn't Yale say something about receiving an official rejection letter later, too? Maybe I'm remembering wrong, because that would take a LOT of paper.

I have this dream that I will keep all these rejection letters, and one day, if I ever get tenure, I'll frame all these up and paste it on my office door. :P

Edited by seahistory

I have this dream that I will keep all this rejection letters, and one day, if I ever get tenure, I'll frame all these up and paste it on my office door. :P

Well actually, if any of us become hotshot professors, THEN Yale will come scoop us away from whatever school we are in. :)

Well actually, if any of us become hotshot professors, THEN Yale will come scoop us away from whatever school we are in. :)

But for the time being, this is what I have on my office door:

http://www.phdcomics.com/comics/archive.php?comicid=1082

Edited by seahistory

That's a great idea! I'd like to frame my rejection letters and put them up next to my framed degrees, just to be silly. Another thing that would be funny for a tenured professor would be just to frame your high school diploma and hang that up in your office, but not any of your other diplomas.

I'm wondering if anyone has any specific knowledge of whether Wisconsin-Madison and UNC allow deferred enrollment? Haven't been able to find anything on their sites.

Most likely no unless you've won an amazing grant like Fulbright. Some may let you defer but you will have to apply again for funding.

That's a great idea! I'd like to frame my rejection letters and put them up next to my framed degrees, just to be silly. Another thing that would be funny for a tenured professor would be just to frame your high school diploma and hang that up in your office, but not any of your other diplomas.

Hopefully with a failing grade on the high school diploma!

I have this dream that I will keep all these rejection letters, and one day, if I ever get tenure, I'll frame all these up and paste it on my office door. :P

Last year, everyone in the graduate office who was applying to PhD programs pasted theirs up on the wall.

I had the most :(