History 2010

Sparky

Ugh, no. I'm praying for a phone call or e-mail from my thesis adviser (Okay, I admit it. I'm a MA student at Michigan). Gotta munch on carrots instead of peanut butter- chocolate ocmbo stuff... I'm a nervous wreck! I'm SO close to the history department... it's like a castle. I see the building as a fortress. Can't wait to get out of Ann Arbor for the break this weekend so I can feel some distance here! :wacko:

I'm applying to PhD programs in History, specifically Ottoman/Middle Eastern/Balkans.

I only applied to three programs: UT Austin, Georgetown and Ohio State.

I just got the rejection (or obtained it myself on the app website, which is worse, I think) today from UT Austin and am still waiting on Ohio State and Georgetown. I've had some promising conversations with OSU, but nothing certain...

I know it's late in the game, but has anyone heard from those two?

You can call the grad secretary at OSU and she'll tell you. That's how I found out.

I'm applying to PhD programs in History, specifically Ottoman/Middle Eastern/Balkans.

I only applied to three programs: UT Austin, Georgetown and Ohio State.

I just got the rejection (or obtained it myself on the app website, which is worse, I think) today from UT Austin and am still waiting on Ohio State and Georgetown. I've had some promising conversations with OSU, but nothing certain...

I know it's late in the game, but has anyone heard from those two?

Edited by wbts historian

Would any of the flood of Michigan admits mind sharing fields? And also what time the calls came in?

Many congratulations, also.

I applied for 19th- and early 20t-century U.S. and received my call around 4 PM Eastern, so he may have called me right after he called earlyamericanist.

I received an acceptance e-mail from Michigan from my potential advisor, because I had told her that I was in Germany and not to expect me to pick up my phone.

The e-mail said they only sent offers to ten Europeanists, over all places and periods. This year has been brutal. :(

This week has been nuts with all of the rejections for me. I can't believe I started out with two acceptances and a fellowship, and now have received 5 rejections in a row. Oh, well. Life goes on.

Same way that I feel. Started out feeling positive, and now it has just gone terribly wrong. I thought that if I was lucky enough to get ACCEPTED to a place like Wisconsin, at that point maybe my test scores would help me get fellowships (since those university-wide funds seem to be based on scores a lot). I'm kind of at a loss to explain the way things have gone.

I wonder if this history forum has gotten progressively more silent because everyone is just suffering so much with this stupid economy and its effects on admissions.

This year has been brutal. :(

I don't think next year is going to be any better, especially if those of us who get no offers/only unfunded offers (my current situation--and the school knows I can't accept an offer that doesn't include health insurance, so this is basically a polite rejection) apply again in the fall.

I got an e-mail a few days ago from my POI at my tied-for-top choice program, a religion dept so no worries on any of your part, that my application was in the 'admit' pile but she just found out she has to 'adopt' the current grad students of an unexpectedly-retiring professor. :(:angry:

So, a toast to fall 2011 admissions, right?!

/is not bitter, not at all

Good luck, UCLA people!

I don't think next year is going to be any better, [...]

Actually, a potential advisor told me that next admission cycle is going to be unbelievably worse. Even schools with supposedly deep pockets are reducing their admit quotas by more than 10%. (Many schools are choosing to reduce number of admits instead of reducing the funding available for students.) Scary, scary. Any form of admission this year is something for which to be grateful.

Edited by subrosa

Same way that I feel. Started out feeling positive, and now it has just gone terribly wrong. I thought that if I was lucky enough to get ACCEPTED to a place like Wisconsin, at that point maybe my test scores would help me get fellowships (since those university-wide funds seem to be based on scores a lot). I'm kind of at a loss to explain the way things have gone.

I wonder if this history forum has gotten progressively more silent because everyone is just suffering so much with this stupid economy and its effects on admissions.

Have you heard something definitive about funding from Wisconsin? I haven't heard anything yet. Anyone else hear anything?

Have you heard something definitive about funding from Wisconsin? I haven't heard anything yet. Anyone else hear anything?

I have heard for sure after emailing my potential advisor a couple of times, and I was told for sure. I have also gotten the impression that those who are getting funding would have already known about it, but I don't want to bring anyone down...it's entirely possible that Wisconsin is just being slow to release that information. However, I know that either in this thread or on the results search, there was one history person who received a fellowship offer, and that's when I began to suspect that it was bad news for me.

You may have to actively harass departments to find out if you really are getting no funding, because I think schools are not being quite as forthcoming with that information as they might be. It makes the situation awkward for all of us: the departments, the poor grad student hopefuls, and even the potential advisors who are left with the choice of telling us to come, but knowing it is bad advice, or advising us to look elsewhere, while losing a student he or she might like to work with.